Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Wish List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 Wish List

2020 is almost upon us, so time to start a new wish list thread.

I love my new UV PIKA. Its adorable. But I would like it better if I had the option of using either the 5/8 strap that comes with it or a 1 strap. If the attachment point holes were a little larger, it would be perfect. Id like to try it out as a theme park bag, and for me, the 1 strap feels more secure.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCSB v.2 - pockets like the Side Kick/Side Effect.

Been asking for years Smilie.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lightweight combo tote bag/shoulder bag/backpack. Not sure if the Trinity will fit this description or be a heavier-weight bag.
    I'm looking for something sized between the Icon and the Makers Bag, with just enough structure to not be floppy, but not overly engineered either. Squarish or rectangular. Top-zip. Lets me switch off between wearing it on my back (with lightweight straps like those on the Daylight Backpack), toting it, or over-the-shoulder. Zip pockets like on the Luminary, but in an orientation that lets you segment off the bottom of the pack for a lunch or something, with the retrievable items stacked on top of it.
    This would be an absolutely perfect commuting bag.

(And, I know this deviates from Tom Bihn design principles, but it should have external pockets on either side: for a water bottle and umbrella.)
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * XL Yeoman Duffel - 62 linear inches ; min. 14 inch wide base to accomodate A45 large packing cubes; side carry points like Aeronaut to shoulder carry closer to self
    * 3DOC-ish size packing cube - clamshell, more utility among bags and to organize other cubes; alternatively a redesigned 3DOC with clamshell opening
    * Clear sided cubelet option - one side clear better than none
    * 22-25L Luminary - a minimalist synapse/synik; clamshell would be great
    * Simpler HLT - HLT does alot, a simpler one with elastic pen slots for tools or pens, opposing side with mesh pocket or paper slot like HLT; possibly slimmer for use in DLBC pen holder
    * Shave kit- all options on the market are leather or cheap fabrics or too bulky
    * 525d PCSB option for PCSB; internal pockets optional (getting 525d is more likely than a different version so this wish is the meet in the middle option)
    * Fabric+Color Swatch set - neatly stapled to sheet of paper with description of fabric color able to be mailed in in letter size envelope; a collectible donation crane concept to charge nominal amount

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still hoping for a zip top cross body bag in the 5-10 liter size that is vertically oriented (aka a cafe bag with a zip top). The icon wasn't that bag for me.

A mesh cubelet.

All my other TB wished for items have already happened.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Truck in Nebulous Gray, Co-Pilot in Black Halcyon/Iberian,Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    PCSB v.2 - pockets like the Side Kick/Side Effect
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    * 525d PCSB option for PCSB; internal pockets optional (getting 525d is more likely than a different version so this wish is the meet in the middle option)
    * Fabric+Color Swatch set - neatly stapled to sheet of paper with description of fabric color able to be mailed in in letter size envelope; a collectible donation crane concept to charge nominal amount
    I also am looking for a PCSB-sized hybrid bag/cube with (detachable strap and) "exterior" fabric: Halcyon 400d, 525d ballistic, and/or 630d recycled. As mentioned, bonus points for some minimal amount of internal pocketry.

I would also enjoy a "Synik 26" that's about 18 inches tall.
    Last edited by x3n0n; 12-13-2019 at 08:49 AM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All fabric options for some of the organizing pouches that have clear fronts/sides, specifically the Double Organizer Pouch and the Clear Quarter Packing Cube.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senua View Post
    All fabric options for some of the organizing pouches that have clear fronts/sides, specifically the Double Organizer Pouch and the Clear Quarter Packing Cube.
    CQPC all fabric would get my vote, too. Liked the size of it and the two sided organisation, but I'm not a fan of the clear material. Just a textural preference - it feels sort of sticky to me compared to halcyon or parapack, and I don't like that.

I do carry a clear organiser wallet every day, but there I actively value that it is see-thru so I put up with the weird texture 2020 Wish List

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A laptop/commute bag.

* Similar functionality, but much smaller, to, say, a Brain Bag with just one main compartment
    * Stands upright on the floor, for that meeting room classiness and general convenience
    * Travel-friendly (I do NOT mean luggage pass-through, but rather wider opening, quick-but-secure external pocket for going through security, and a decent top handle)
    * 25L max (ish)
    * Not overdone with pockets, leaving room for a good main compartment

(yes, a narrower and single-compartment Brain Bag would be EXACTLY this)

A laptop/commute briefcase:
    * Wider than the cadet, to fit a hoody or rainjacket in there
    * Some micro-organization for pouches, pens, a notebook
    * Tailored to fit laptops THAT ARE NOT FRIGGIN MACS. My HP is larger than any Mac of the same diagonal screen size. Most folks with work laptop have machines bigger than Macs. Thankfully Tom Bihn isn't usually guilty of this (although I question whether the Synik 22's laptop slot is truly one, if the largest it will fit is a 13" mac since that is already as small as they come)
    * (maybe) totally removeable shoulder straps

(again this is based on my own experiences with a great-but-not-perfect bag, the Topo Design Commuter Briefcase. It's the perfect size, materials, and build quality. But it has free-floating top handles which are annoying, and the laptop compartment's velcro closing tab closes ON TOP OF THE PEN SLOTS. Useless. I also wish I could totally remove the shoulder straps: it's very comfy as a lightweight, makeshift backpack, but I don't always need the straps and they get bulky when stowed-away)

TB already makes everything else I use from them: the Aeronaut 30 (so, so good), tons of pouches, and my wife's favorite bag that didn't work for me, the Synapse 25 for one-bag travels/long weekends.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smaller version of the Icon. More the size of SCB but with east-west orientation.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A zero-gravity messenger bag. Something similar to the Icon but a little larger than the Maker's Bag would do nicely.

Should ideally be able to take a horizontal Cache for up to a 15" laptop and have an upright space for a thermos or water bottle.

Bonus points for alternate carry options besides a single shoulder strap.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Lightweight combo tote bag/shoulder bag/backpack. Not sure if the Trinity will fit this description or be a heavier-weight bag.
    Ohh... you just made me wonder if that's the custom zipper they're waiting on for the Trinity. My daughter's friend has a small PLO/backpack that the straps zip up, you unclip one side of the straps and clip to the other, and turns it in to a "shoulder" bag. Well, that gets you "duo" at least. Wonder what the tri would be...

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    Just a textural preference - it feels sort of sticky to me compared to halcyon or parapack, and I don't like that.
    It's both texture and potential privacy preference for me, depending on how I'm using them.

I have CQPC that I use to hold most of my knitting supplies (stitch markers, interchangeable needles, etc). Almost everything is in some sort of case already and some of those stick to the clear sides. Plus much of it is organized front to back in the compartments, so I can't see everything anyway. Smilie

I used a DOP as a cash wallet with the coins and other miscellany in the front. I found I really didn't like having that clear window for anyone around to see what was in there.

Forum Member
    NoVA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitka and Zest halcyon shop bags and travel totes. Solar would be great, too.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aether pouches! I love the translucence.

An A6 or B6 sized Ghost Whale.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast