Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Guide?

Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY

33 and 23 liter options?

AND an Ursa option?

This is all great news!

Ive always wanted a TB pack I could take on an overnight hike - sleeping bag, inflatable pad, tent and all. Im wondering if I could pull it off with the 33, given the single main interior volume.

I would definitely be interested in a 23 liter SG for day hikes, but the 33 may be worth pursuing, too.

When will sign up be for the raffle, @Darcy ? I want to make sure I dont miss it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excited to see these product pages when they are ready. I am ready to raffle!!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    As you wish!

23 liter = Dimensions: 12.6" (w) x 19.3" (h) x 9.0" (d) / 320 (w) x 490 (h) x 230 (d) mm
    Thank you very much, @Darcy .

The SG23 looks promising height-wise.
    I am under 46.

Looking forward to the Ursa.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sd2102 View Post
    That smaller size is perfect for me since I need to replace my summer day pack. I thought I had read somewhere that this size may also be better for shorter people- is that still the case? I bought the original one but had to return it because it was not a good fit for my 5-2 frame.

Also, has anyone used the V1 with a hydration bladder? I thought I saw a hydration clip on the backpack strap, but I'm not sure how the bladder would stay in place inside the bag. This is a must for me since I don't want to have to stop for water every time I get thirsty when I'm hiking in the summer.
    Bumping this question to see if anyone has an answer for how/if they are using a hydration bladder in V1. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you wish!

23 liter = Dimensions: 12.6" (w) x 19.3" (h) x 9.0" (d) / 320 (w) x 490 (h) x 230 (d) mm

33 liter = Dimensions: 14" (w) x 21.7" (h) x 9.0" (d) / 355 (w) x 550 (h) x 230 (d) mm
    The 33 liter version looks almost similar in dimensions to the Guide's Pack, which is great, since I find that my Guide's Pack fits me well.

The 23 liter version is interesting too: it's almost as tall as a Synik 30 which fits me pretty well too.

So now I'm finding myself torn between the two sizes.

I'm really happy it's being offered in Ursa, it's going to look fantastic!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be pre-release Shadow Guide giveaways here on the Forums and over on the FB group. Production colors of the Shadow Guide are slated to be Black and Ursa -- we decided to narrow it down to two colors for simplicity's sake. That said, we did make a sample of the 23 and a sample of the 33 in two other colors; those are two of the bags we'll be giving away. They're totally one-of-a-kind.
    Extremely excited Ive been waiting for this for some time now (as have many). Are you anticipating stock will go quick and/or will there be a pre-order?

Germany
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This comparison pic of the two sizes was posted on Facebook. Hope it's alright if I post it here.

Shadow Guide?-119486932_2275392202594460_4586176288131497985_o-jpg

The smaller SG looks like the perfect size to me.
    Last edited by b1gsky; 09-16-2020 at 11:42 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bumping this question to see if anyone has an answer for how/if they are using a hydration bladder in V1. Thanks!
    I don't have an answer for @sd2102 , but the v1 SG had webbing loops for attaching a cache:
    Shadow Guide?-shadowguide_detail8a_1024x1024-jpg
    Not sure you can see this from the picture, but they're sewn so the fold is angled, instead of rectangular (up and down, perpendicular fold) loops on the Synapse. That means the weight of anything suspended from the loops is distributed over a broader base. I would guess that you can use Double Carabiner Clips to hook to the top of a hydration bladder, similar to the way that @NWhikergal showed for her Platypus hydration bladders in the Daylight Backpack (In the photos in that post, she used the single, centered O-ring to attach to the top of the bladder, but the Daylight Backpack's tiered pockets also held the bottom of the bladder).

There was an older Carrying a Hydration Reservoir/Bladder in TB Backpacks that you can also check, but hopefully some forum member with experience will respond to your question.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Interesting....

The Smart Alec was listed as 11.75 x 18.5 x 7.75" and 26L

So the SA is smaller in dimensions but larger in capacity? I'm assuming the slanted bottom accounts for that - anything else on the geometry that would impact it?
    My first reaction when I read the SG23s dimensions of 12.6 w x 19.3 h x 9 d was, Aww - too long for my back. At 17 long/high, the bottom of the DLBP hits me at mid-bum (travails of being very short).

I took closer looks at the photos and it looks like the shoulder straps are attached MAYBE 2 inches below the top edge of the SG23. Which means the length of the bag bag from the shoulder straps is similar to that of the DLBP. I hope I am making sense.

The top cinch closure of the SG23 likely accounts for the decrease in volume capacity compared to the SA. If one were to stuff the SG23 up to its top and not cinch it close, the volume capacity could be the same, if not more, than that of the SA.

All speculations on my part. What else is there to do while waiting for the SG23 to appear on the TB online shop?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post

All speculations on my part. What else is there to do while waiting for the SG23 to appear on the TB online shop?
    Big Grin

I'm hoping for dimensional details from @Darcy regarding that effective back panel length specifically so that I know which size to get. Speculation is fun, but my little engineer brain wants fully dimensioned parts for planning purposes Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @G42 , I like and appreciate your gentle nudging. Would love to get same information. I live in the US, so paying $10 to return a bag is manageable but I prefer buying items to keep rather than to try for fit.

October is not too far off!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used one of these in the V1:
    https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/pr...ration-sleeve/

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks campfire and moriond. It was helpful to see the interior attachment points. And based on the linked threads you sent, it looks like my current hydration bladder won't work since it doesn't have a good attachment point on top. But I can always give it to my husband since he needs a new one and buy myself a new one insteadSmilie

Also good to know about that hydration sleeve, that could also be a good option.

France
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I don't have an answer for @sd2102 , but the v1 SG had webbing loops for attaching a cache:
    Shadow Guide?-shadowguide_detail8a_1024x1024-jpg
    Not sure you can see this from the picture, but they're sewn so the fold is angled, instead of rectangular (up and down, perpendicular fold) loops on the Synapse. That means the weight of anything suspended from the loops is distributed over a broader base.
    Thanks @moriond ! I have not had reason to carry a laptop or tablet with my SG v1, as other TB bags seem to match my laptop/ tablet usage much better. But I had not realised the SG v1 has cache attachment loops. So great to find out about a feature I had missed if I should one day need it.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some questions about the main pocket in the flap (not the two zippered pockets underneath). What are the dimensions, and are they the same on both the 33 and 23 sizes? Is it just an open space? I'm wondering if there might be a couple of pen loops or smaller flat pockets sewn against one of the sides (cell-phone/sunglasses sized). Or even if there would be the option of something like a Freudian Slip, to add a bit of organization.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast