Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone using Synik 30 as daily carry?

I don't travel but a few times a year, however I do daily carry. I got the synapse 25 recently and really love it, however I still carry things that a college student would (books, papers, laptop etc) as well as a bullet journal. I love the organization on the outside but not so much the inside. I've tried a freudian slip which is great but when I have it + the laptop the bag is packed quite full and i don't like how it wears when its like that. I'm thinking about upgrading to the synik 30 but haven't made my mind up yet because I don't carry the laptop EVERY day and when it's not in there, the fit is great.

That's what lead to this thread though, anyone daily carrying the synik 30? I know a lot of people think 25 is even too large for EDC, but that's just not me lol.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with an S25 but it was too big for everyday and I bought an S22 when it came out. The S22 is about the same width as the S25 but it’s not as tall.

My 13” laptop doesn’t fit in the laptop compartment so instead I store my ipad 9.7, Bose QC30 earbuds in a medium TB organizer, and my work phone there. I also put the occasional folder of papers in the laptop compartment. My laptop goes in a thin neoprene (non-TB) sleeve in the main compartment. The main compartment still has a lot of remaining space for other items.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

France
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use a SN30 as daily carry cause it is too big and I am too small...
    I use a S25 as travel bag (+ a purse) and once filled it can be little heavy (for daily carry)

But the organisation of Syniks is pretty cool and useful as student (the laptop pocket can be use to store anything you need too quickly acces)
    so a SN22 could be a great bag for me... if I were a student (again ? Big Grin)
    Once again I am just small that is why I wouldn't take a SN30
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m 5’5” and use my Synik 30 daily. It is my daily backpack for work, carrying my laptop, chargers, etc. Also, I typically fly weekly, and use the Synik as my carry on (under the seat). When I first ordered it, I was afraid it might be too big, but upon receiving it, I found it isn’t actually too big. It’s about the same size as the Swiss gear backpack I had been using previously, and see being carried around at the airport all the time (I posted a comparison pic in another thread) Unlike the Swiss gear backpack, the Synik looks nice, whether it is completely full or relatively empty.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 6'1", 220 or so, and went from an S25 to an S30 for daily to work carry, and don't find it to be that much different. The S30 is definitely a bit squarer/less of a teardrop shape, but carries and feels pretty much the same.

I've got a small (10 liter or so) sling that I've started using for around town kinds of things, and it's a great size, but I miss the organization of the Synapse/Synik when using it.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Synik 30 as my daily carry. It carries basically identically to my old Synapse 25, except it has the frame hidden away, which is really nice. (The S25 would get a bit "egg shaped" and less comfortable if you packed it to the brim without a frame sheet. The frame sheet solves that nicely.) The additional volume is almost all in depth, I think. I couldn't imagine trying to use a S22 or S19 as a daily carry. Just seems like it would be much too small, especially if you're carrying the stuff a college student would. My young daughter has an S19 that fits her perfectly, but it looks like it might not be big enough for the huge zippered three ring binder thingamajig that she'll need to carry in middle school... Good luck!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F308gt4 View Post
    Iím 5í5Ē and use my Synik 30 daily. It is my daily backpack for work, carrying my laptop, chargers, etc. Also, I typically fly weekly, and use the Synik as my carry on (under the seat). When I first ordered it, I was afraid it might be too big, but upon receiving it, I found it isnít actually too big. Itís about the same size as the Swiss gear backpack I had been using previously, and see being carried around at the airport all the time (I posted a comparison pic in another thread) Unlike the Swiss gear backpack, the Synik looks nice, whether it is completely full or relatively empty.
    The more I use my Synik 30, the more I love it. It is an absolutely fabulous looking bag, and quite utilitarian. Iíve stuffed it to the brim when needed, and it really holds up well. To think, I almost spent $500 on a Tumi backpack that wouldnít have been as nice. Iím glad I heard about Tom Bihn.

My only complaint: I wish the side access for the laptop was on the other side. But not really a big deal.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another daily SN30 user. I think the SN22 is a better size overall, but the laptop size was pushing it for what I'd need (though, ironically, I now have a surface pro that would have fit, lol). But the water bottle pocket was too small, too. And it'd be too small for travel (for me). Basically, I wanted to cover all my bases with one bag, lol. I was afraid the SN30 would be too big, but it's been fine really. It surprising does well when the main compartment is empty for me. I also don't pack it to the brim daily, that'd be nuts Smilie

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do also use my SN30 for EDC. I don't consider it to be too big (I am 6', 160) I rather welcome the extra space when I need to bring more stuff (on days when I go to the gym or do some shopping after work). I really like the laptop compartment and I do use a Freudian Slip to organize the smaller things.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recent Synik 30 owner here, I was really afraid it was going to be too big for EDC but for me it works very well. Since I have 26oz Yeti Tumblr and some notebooks, it does stay rather slim and I like having the extra space for a sweater if it gets cold!

Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpgutierrez View Post
    Recent Synik 30 owner here, I was really afraid it was going to be too big for EDC but for me it works very well. Since I have 26oz Yeti Tumblr and some notebooks, it does stay rather slim and I like having the extra space for a sweater if it gets cold!
    Hey, a fellow Yeti owner! I have the same size rambler as you, do you put it in the dedicated water bottle compartment? I'm trying to decide between the Synik 30 and the Synapse 25 for a daily carry/occasional travel bag, and being able to fit that bottle is a big concern of mine.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently acquired a beautiful Synik 30 in 400D Black Halcyon and have used it every day for the past week as my daily carry. Iím 6.0 and I find it a perfect size It easily accommodates my laptop, papers chargers etc I have augmented it with a Handy Little Thing, a Side-Kick, a Snake Charmer and a S25/30 Freudian Slip. It is close to perfect as an EDC for me

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Synik 30 is used for EDC and I do not find it too big whatsoever. Is it overkill? Maybe. But I also have a 15" laptop and it's hard to fit that into the other backpack offerings.
    S25 | WF | DLBP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used my SN30 for EDC with only one issue, and I use the SN30 as a one-bag solution for single-day or two-day business trips. The only issue is when I am driving and have to get in and get out of vehicles multiple times throughout the day, but that issue I have with any backpack as I like to keep it in the conditioned space of the passenger compartment and not in the trunk. For those days, I prefer a briefcase as it is much easier, for me (probably due to decades of doing it), to get in and out of a vehicle even though the hands-free carry of a backpack is normally a huge plus. If a backpack and a vehicle works for you, the SN30 will make a fine EDC bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it. 6'2" and it fits great. The slip is useful to make use of the large main compartment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast