Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 43 of 43
  1. #31
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Share
    Minnesota
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    I wish the Pilot would work with a 15" laptop, assuming it doesn't based on its size.
    For what it's worth, Spencer of "My Tom Bihn Reviews" has carried a MacBook Pro 15 in a Pilot in a non-Cache sleeve, although the fit was tight:
    https://youtu.be/xy-igEXCntI

  2. #32
    Forum Member GrussGott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Share
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadD View Post
    A 15 Macbook Pro (at least the late-2016 model I have) does fit, just, in a cache in a Pilot. Only just, but not straining zips or bag material.
    Yup, confirmed, i've also carried a few different 15" HPs and a Dell in the Pilot ... and once I carried 15" HP AND a 15" MBP! that was tight (halcyon)

  3. #33
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    France
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone using a Parental Unit to complement the A45 as a personal item bag ?

  4. #34
    Volunteer Moderator aedifica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    Boston; she/her
    Posts
    1,092
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theedge View Post
    Anyone using a Parental Unit to complement the A45 as a personal item bag ?
    Yes, I do that sometimes.

  5. #35
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    France
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Yes, I do that sometimes.
    Cool ! So how did you like it ? I'm considering getting a PU to travel with my A30 and A45 because it's less boxy than the Pilot and seems to better conform to the body. My only concern are all those compartments in both outer facets.

  6. #36
    Volunteer Moderator aedifica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    Boston; she/her
    Posts
    1,092
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theedge View Post
    Cool ! So how did you like it ? I'm considering getting a PU to travel with my A30 and A45 because it's less boxy than the Pilot and seems to better conform to the body. My only concern are all those compartments in both outer facets.
    It works well for me! The only caveat is I find the Parental Unit works best if I only use two of the three main sections--I normally use the center section and one of the two curved side sections, otherwise it goes all football-shaped (American football) and is less comfortable to carry. What's your concern about the compartments?

  7. #37
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    France
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much aedifica. Concerning the compartments, it's just that I find they may limit what you can store inside those two external sections. But that's just me, others may see it as an advantage. Depends on everyone's use of course.

  8. #38
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theedge View Post
    Thank you very much aedifica. Concerning the compartments, it's just that I find they may limit what you can store inside those two external sections. But that's just me, others may see it as an advantage. Depends on everyone's use of course.
    I LOVE the Parental Unit. However it really only likes to hold things that are about 2 wide in the side pockets and 3 wide in the main pocket. It is GREAT for people who want to separate lots of small things. It is not good for bulky or long items.

  9. #39
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Share
    Palo Alto
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am loving all the great suggestions--I am going to look into a few of them, or maybe just embrace the Pilot. The Pilot feels weird when I sue the top handle as it seems like the bag goes lopsided. But I do love that it fits under the seat upright.

  10. #40
    Forum Member GrussGott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Share
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrottngal View Post
    I am loving all the great suggestions--I am going to look into a few of them, or maybe just embrace the Pilot. The Pilot feels weird when I sue the top handle as it seems like the bag goes lopsided. But I do love that it fits under the seat upright.
    Yeah, if you have heavy things in main compartment and not the front, or vice versa, the Pilot can lean; although for me that's usually just when i'm getting it on or off the shoulder and even if not overall it doesn't bother me.

    FWIW, for air travel, I'm considering adapting the WF to go with the A45 (in backpack mode) with maybe two FSs (makers and/or WF FS, plus a MCB FS in the front). I typically use a lightly loaded S25 for my personal item bag if i'm using the WF on the shoulder strap for my main bag; thing is, the WF isn't larger than the S25 dimensions-wise so it also fits under the seat fine, especially underloaded (I'm 6'2" with long legs and it still works for me - i just shove it to one side). Yes, ideally, the WF is a bit too big for personal item use, but ...

    This has a few benefits for me:

    (1.) The WF can make a great day pack: small and light enough if you just have a few things, and, if needed, big enough for a LOT of stuff!

    (2.) The WF, with it's water bottle pocket, front pockets, and a FS or two makes a great personal item bag with obviously lots of room for in-flight stuff

    (3.) For big packouts, using the WF is still small enough for a personal item, but large enough for a packing cube full of stuff

    The fabled Trinity might provide for a solution here, although for now i'm thinking the WF might just be my companion bag ... i may even get a second WF!
    Last edited by GrussGott; 01-22-2020 at 12:07 PM.

  11. #41
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Share
    Minnesota
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    I'm considering adapting the WF to go with the A45 (in backpack mode) with maybe two FSs (makers and/or WF FS, plus a MCB FS in the front). I typically use a lightly loaded S25 for my personal item bag if i'm using the WF on the shoulder strap for my main bag; thing is, the WF isn't larger than the S25 dimensions-wise so it also fits under the seat fine, especially underloaded (I'm 6'2" with long legs and it still works for me - i just shove it to one side). Yes, ideally, the WF is a bit too big for personal item use, but ...
    Being totally on team Western Flyer, I was thinking something very similar. If I need to move a huge amount of stuff, using a backpack Aeronaut plus a WF-with-shoulder-strap personal item carries more than I can imagine wanting to take most places. The only thing I'd add to this is packing some smaller item inside to use as a daypack, since the WF really does seem like overkill for that: probably a Daylight Briefcase, Daylight Backpack and/or a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag.

  12. #42
    Forum Member GrussGott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Share
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x3n0n View Post
    Being totally on team Western Flyer, I was thinking something very similar. If I need to move a huge amount of stuff, using a backpack Aeronaut plus a WF-with-shoulder-strap personal item carries more than I can imagine wanting to take most places. The only thing I'd add to this is packing some smaller item inside to use as a daypack, since the WF really does seem like overkill for that: probably a Daylight Briefcase, Daylight Backpack and/or a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag.
    Great idea! I'd add the DLBP perfectly fits the WF as a packing cube

  13. #43
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Share
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just one scenario where the late, lamented Imago is the ideal 2nd. bag. Just saying, in case anyone might like to bring it back....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •