Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Palo Alto
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love my A45 but . . .

I cannot figure out which EDC bag/purse to use. I need more than just the A45, but not as much as my WF. I tried the Pilot and Co-pilot, but I prefer using my large open space of my Pop Tote, except that the shoulder straps don't stay on my shoulders when using the A45 in backpack mode (the only way I am comfortable carrying it).
    So, what is your best recommendation for a TB bag for use when the A45 is on my back and my shoulders are in use?
    Here is what I own:
    SCB (good once I get to a location, but too small for on the airplane)
    A45
    WF
    Pilot
    CoP
    Pop Tote
    Synapse 25
    SK

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daylight backpack

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small zipped top shop bag carried in the crook of your arm?
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Alabama
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Icon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Have you considered the Medium Cafe Bag or the Makers Bag?

For the strap issue, I put my Side Kick or Pilot on cross-body style and then put on my backpack. It stops the falling strap issue. Sometimes it requires a bit of fiddling to get the two straps to align on my shoulder, but it's usually comfortable enough.

Good luck! elisa

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small or medium Cafè.

Forum Member
    Palo Alto
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I mentioned, I use the small cafe bag once i get to my destination, but I often bring my laptop, noise canceling headphones, a neck pillow, my 3-1-1 bag, phone, iPad, assorted chargers, and journal, plus a water bottle, wallet, prescription reading and sunglasses, and a snack. My A45 is already full and I want those things with me in my seat. No way will all that fit into a SCB, so I need something a bit larger while transiting. The Synapse works of course, but it is difficult to carry when I already have the A45 on my back (which is the only way I can carry it full).

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrottngal View Post
    so I need something a bit larger while transiting.
    I usually use a small or large Zip Top Shop Bag for under the seat, when I'm carrying the A45 (overhead bin) for air travel.
    In the large ZTSB, I can put my 13" MacAir, neck pillow, lumbar pillow, hardcover book, Travel Cubelet, A5 Ghost Whale for journals, kindle, two vacuum bottles, PCSB, etc. - it holds a ton, but underpacks well when you don't need the space. I hand carry it and hold it in the crook of my elbow when I need two handles.
    Your load should be able to fit into the large and possibly the small, depending.
    The only time I travel with the A45 and large ZTSB fully stuffed is over the holidays (just returned from a coast to coast trip)... it can get heavy, but it's still manageable for me. Normally I carry an A30 and a small ZTSB.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry an A30 as a backpack for big trips, and use my PT as a personal item. I also have trouble keeping it on my shoulder, and adjust it shoulder/elbow/hand pretty constantly. I've used a ZTSB instead and had the same issue. If I'm really motivated I can tuck the PT straps under the A30 straps, but that's not the comfortablest. Even so, PT is still the best solution I've found.

ETA: I don't know how much you've used your PT but I've found that the straps have started to stay up better the more worn they get.
    Last edited by Lia; 01-04-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pack everything I need in the Aeronaut 30, including the things I want in flight. I don’t have as much tech as you, but everything (book, phone, wallet, chargers and battery, water bottle, inflatable pillow, snacks) goes into a packing cube shoulder bag.
    In your case, I’d pack the Pilot in the center compartment of the Aeronaut and take it out to use at your seat. It’ll take away space for the rest of your packed items is the only drawback.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you’re going to get something new, I’d go with a halcyon maker bag. It provides that wide open space like a pop tote, you can fasten the flap to secure items, and halcyon is lighter than ballistic. My usual carry when traveling is my A30 and either a medium or large cafe bag - I cannot stand having to have stuff in my hands - I prefer to have them free. I usually put the cafe bag on first, have the bag positioned to the front of my body, and then put the A30 on in backpack mode.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heart’s desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a packing cube shoulder bag as it is so lightweight as my EDC at destination. I also carry a shop bag for when I need more (eg picnic items on train, buying souvenirs, beach towels..).

On the plane, I put the PCSB in the shop bag so I can carry that little but more but still one bag.

Forum Member
    Maryland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another rec for the Maker's bag. My son prefers the MB due to the open interior. He also carries an A45 backpack style & has an Absolute strap to carry the MB cross-body so his hands are free (necessary when you have a 3 year old!).

As someone else mentioned, he also puts the MB on first, then the A45.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same dilemma. I have yet to find the perfect companion bag to my A45.

I'm fairly short so I have to carry the A45 in backpack mode. I still need another bag for my plane necessities (iPad, noise canceling headphones, toiletries, water bottle, snacks, journal, sunglasses, passport/wallet and often my DSLR camera + second lens) which don't fit in my A45. I've tried various shoulder bags but it's just too cumbersome especially when I have long layovers or walks to/from the airport. I've started resorting to my rolling bag + shoulder carry or backpack for a lot of my longer trips, particularly if I have my DSLR.

I didn't buy the makers bag before because it didn't seem very secure (important for places that I travel), but maybe it would be good for transit at least. Is there any chance it would fit all of the above?

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrottngal View Post
    but I prefer using my large open space of my Pop Tote, except that the shoulder straps don't stay on my shoulders
    I really, really wish the Pop Tote had D-rings for a shoulder strap. I would use it cross-body often.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast