Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changes in Aeronaut design since 2013

Can anyone run me through the changes in the Aeronaut design since 2013? I got mine in 2013, and I think some things have changed since then. For example, I don't think those buckle tie downs are in the main compartment anymore. Anything else?
    Pilot: Black Ballistic Nylon / Iberian
    Aeronaut: Steel/Ultraviolet
    Stuff: Snake Charmer / Packing Cube Backpack

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changes in Aeronaut design since 2013

I have an older version and newer version A30. Iíd imagine itís the same. The internal toe down straps are still there but itís a different buckle.

The internal wall that allows you to use the ďend pocket spaceĒ is now super instead of buttons.

There is an internal handle (simple piece of webbing) now that allows you to have something to grab the bag by when itís open to move to a table etc.

The end pocket and main pocket zips are now lockable.

I believe these changes came through around 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    Can anyone run me through the changes in the Aeronaut design since 2013? I got mine in 2013, and I think some things have changed since then. For example, I don't think those buckle tie downs are in the main compartment anymore. Anything else?
    Hi @Saikyo,

I’m going to point you to the THE AERONAUT TRAVEL BAG: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS on the Blog, for the information on updates. They specifically link to the major updates (applied to both the Aeronaut 45 and Aeronaut 30), with the last one being in 2017. The DESIGN UPDATE: AERONAUT 45 lists and shows pictures of the lockable zippers, (there were some other changes in the zipper sizes used on the end pockets mentioned there), the addition of an interior grab handle that @LordAnubis mentioned, along with a switch from coil zippers to molded tooth zippers at the end pocket dividers, and making the back foam padding thicker, as well as removable. These changes were accompanied by the switch in the product label to bring back the words “Portable Culture” (now reading “Since 1972 • Portable Culture”).

This doesn’t cover additional accessories such as the later options for adding frame sheets and hip belts (see the 2018 HOW TO: INSTALL THE AERONAUT INTERNAL FRAME AND/OR PADDED HIP BELT blog post.

It also doesn’t cover changes in the Aeronaut 30 packing cube fabric options and sizes over this period. (The Halcyon end pocket packing cubes offered when the A30 first debuted were larger than the later Aether End pocket packing cubes, and @bartleby still bemoans not stocking up on these as a better size for shoes; some other forum members preferred the all-fabric Aether Packing Cube options that were all retired to the current mesh-only versions, while others mourn the retirement of the Carbon Aether color option.) This also doesn’t cover the addition of the Laundry Packing Cube options for the Aeronaut product lines.

Finally, there are a myriad of smaller changes over time that most people won’t notice, and that only get referenced in specific Bag hacking situations. For example, in response to review comments by @Tonya and @improvised in the 09-03-2019 Random thoughts on the Synik 22 thread about how the top tie-down strap of the Synik 22 didn’t lie flat when it was not being used, since it was longer than the width at the top of the bag, I posted [#18, 09-18-2019] with pictures showing that swapping in the tie-down strap from an Aeronaut 30 would shorten the top strap just enough to make it lie flat when empty, using two different A30 model tie-down straps with female buckles in. (The older, and slightly shorter model uses a single gatekeeper clip end from the period when the A30 first debuted; a later model with a double-gatekeeper clip end is slightly longer, but is still shorter than the tie-down strap ends in the Synik 22, which are apparently matched to current Western Flyer tie-down strap lengths.)

This also doesn’t include the recent new 525d ballistic nylon options. (@bartleby May be able to comment about these).

HTH

moriond

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh @moriond, that was so satisfyingly thorough to read. Thanks for the refresher on all the changes, some of which I was unaware (like the length of tie-down straps and variations of gatekeeper clips).

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond,
    You are AMAZING, EXCELLENT, and an absolute TREASURE! All hail moriond!

Thank you for sharing! elisa