Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The not so minimalist wallet?

So since we started doing group buys, getting some smaller things becomes a whole lot more affordable. So I recently got a Number 4 minimalist wallet. I got the number 4 because of the attachment loop. None of the designs piqued my interest to be honest so I just chose number 4.

Firstly, I’m moving from a hardgraft card case. I carry 4 cards in total then normally one note folded in thirds. This wallet is nice and slim but it suits me perfectly. The leather is thick and so a wallet in ballistic would make it even thinner for me and old be great. It’s a high bar to start from.

I have seen the minimalist wallet before. I bought one for my brother (#3 from memory) but he carries a huge stack of cards with him unlike my minimalist self.

When I got it I was trying to like it. I wanted to like it. But I just can’t yet. It’s too much. In this day and age, I don’t think it’s minimalist enough. The four cards and one note of cash I put in it wasn’t enough to fill it out. Even my wife looked at it and said I wouldn’t like it because it’s loose and not my normal “fit perfectly” style. Perhaps I could have gone for the #1 or 2, and yes the two pockets those wallets have would suit my use case better but it shouldn’t be those extra layers of material folding back on itself. It’s seems like a waste to me. I did like how the wallet worked when I put all thing one the side of the wallet with the back to back pockets. It all fit and functioned perfectly for my needs.

I think for me the ultimate would be the Half Nik’s Minimalist Wallet. Basically only one side of the wallet. So there can be 4 versions. One with ballistic on both sides, one with clear one side and ballistic on the other, then both versions offered with attachment loop. The attachment loop will probably have to be re-arranged but I was thinking maybe the thin webbing used to connect the keyhook to the ghost whales can be used as it can be joined into the seems and be thinner? Here’s a crappy photo with brown the area I would cut off and the black being where the attachment loop would go.

I may try to cut up my wallet if I can get someone to sew this thing properly for me. I was also wondering if I could try gluing the wallet together. As in cut where I want to then join the ballistic and aether to make a seam with contact cement. Anyone have any experience or suggestions in that regard?

And yes I give TB full permission to use any or part of my idea The not so minimalist wallet?The not so minimalist wallet?

Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried out the Magpul DAKA Everyday Wallet, which actually was not enough room for me (if only I didn't have to carry a thick access badge with me at all times!)

They make another version without the clear window if you don't want that. With the amount of stuff you carry I think it's pretty perfect and the material it's made from is pretty cool!

USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also perplexed by the name. I like my Flowfold wallet.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @brucep, I also like the Flowfold minimalist wallet for when I am going lightest (not EDC).
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a Slimfold Nano soft shell wallet for Christmas, so far it's fantastic. I really do love those uber-minimalistic kinds of wallets, and I think it'd be neat if TB tried to make a super small one.

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m still waiting for a minimalist wallet that can take some coins too... They’re all useless to me otherwise. And keeping the coins separately somewhere is NOT an option for me and seems to defeat the purpose of a minimalist wallet in any case. I usually carry around six cards with me on a daily basis (not always the same ones), plus cash which in Germany means notes and coins. My current wallet is a Liebeskind Berlin zipped leather wallet and there is a lot of unused space, but at least it fits everything I want to carry in one place.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    I’m still waiting for a minimalist wallet that can take some coins too... They’re all useless to me otherwise. And keeping the coins separately somewhere is NOT an option for me and seems to defeat the purpose of a minimalist wallet in any case. . .
    I totally get this. Which is why my “wallet” is a small DOP.

I keep cards and cash in the large pocket and coins in the smaller front pocket. I also keep the smaller cards in the front pocket.

I repurposed the plastic tabs from an ancient index card organizer box to keep the debit/credit cards, cash and store reward cards. It works for me.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m still waiting for a minimalist wallet that can take some coins too... They’re all useless to me otherwise. And keeping the coins separately somewhere is NOT an option for me and seems to defeat the purpose of a minimalist wallet in any case. I usually carry around six cards with me on a daily basis (not always the same ones), plus cash which in Germany means notes and coins. My current wallet is a Liebeskind Berlin zipped leather wallet and there is a lot of unused space, but at least it fits everything I want to carry in one place.
    Can I suggest a super mini ghost whale? Almost perfect size for a stack of cards and cash and coins. I kinda like it myself but it’s too big for my needs.

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    Can I suggest a super mini ghost whale? Almost perfect size for a stack of cards and cash and coins. I kinda like it myself but it’s too big for my needs.

I have a super mini Ghost Whale which I usually use for my headphones. You’re right that cards and cash would probably fit, but I think it would be hard to access something specific without anything else falling out.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a super mini Ghost Whale which I usually use for my headphones. You’re right that cards and cash would probably fit, but I think it would be hard to access something specific without anything else falling out.
    I found it quite good actually. I was only opening it up at the “top” of the zip and if you push up on the bottom a bit the cards can kind of pop up and poke out of the GW and you can grab whatever you want. The only annoying thing I found was the huge seam inside the GW. It was getting in the way of the whole thing a fair bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the new SlimFold wallet that has a coin pouch. It's currently a pre-order and expected to ship in April. It uses an exterior flap with a magnetic closure to store coins, meaning it's no thicker than their regular wallets. Pretty clever. https://www.slimfoldwallet.com/produ...-travel-wallet

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m still waiting for a minimalist wallet that can take some coins too... They’re all useless to me otherwise.
    I'm in the States but this is totally what I want also. I've spent a fair amount of money on wallets the last few years, yet I still haven't found one that really works for me. I carry pretty much the same as you - 5 or 6 cards, coins, and cash. And I carry a decent amount of cash so I can't easily tri-fold it to fit in Nick's minimalist wallet. Plus, that's a lot of unfolding and folding just to get to my various bills.

I have TB's clear organizer wallet and still carry it, but it seriously bugs me because the coins constantly shift around and end up in the other compartments. I often have to remove all my cash and cards just to find a penny. I don't want to keep using it, but I haven't found anything that works as well. The coin issue is my only gripe. Everything else about it (size, weight) is perfect though I'd much rather have a loop or o-ring than the dangling snaphook.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    I totally get this. Which is why my “wallet” is a small DOP.
    I tried this several years ago, but the smallest DOP was just too big. I like your divider idea though! I carry a travel cubelet as my purse, and the DOP doesn't fit easily into its main compartment. Plus, it had a lot of extra room around my cash and cards which seemed like a waste. I did like that my iphone fit into it, as least at the time. I don't think my new phone would fit.

So here's my wishful solution... If TB would make a double organizer pouch about the same size as the organizer wallet, and maybe put a divider in the larger section like what's in the organizer wallet, and replace the snaphook with a webbing hook, well then I'd order it in a heartbeat!

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    ...it shouldn’t be those extra layers of material folding back on itself. It’s seems like a waste to me.
    I agree with you. I don't like blank sides on something, and I don't care for many bifold or trifold wallets for this reason. If you have useful space, may as well make it... um, useful! Big Grin

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    I'm in the States but this is totally what I want also. I've spent a fair amount of money on wallets the last few years, yet I still haven't found one that really works for me. I carry pretty much the same as you - 5 or 6 cards, coins, and cash. And I carry a decent amount of cash so I can't easily tri-fold it to fit in Nick's minimalist wallet. Plus, that's a lot of unfolding and folding just to get to my various bills.

I have TB's clear organizer wallet and still carry it, but it seriously bugs me because the coins constantly shift around and end up in the other compartments. I often have to remove all my cash and cards just to find a penny. I don't want to keep using it, but I haven't found anything that works as well. The coin issue is my only gripe. Everything else about it (size, weight) is perfect though I'd much rather have a loop or o-ring than the dangling snaphook.

I tried this several years ago, but the smallest DOP was just too big. I like your divider idea though! I carry a travel cubelet as my purse, and the DOP doesn't fit easily into its main compartment. Plus, it had a lot of extra room around my cash and cards which seemed like a waste. I did like that my iphone fit into it, as least at the time. I don't think my new phone would fit.

So here's my wishful solution... If TB would make a double organizer pouch about the same size as the organizer wallet, and maybe put a divider in the larger section like what's in the organizer wallet, and replace the snaphook with a webbing hook, well then I'd order it in a heartbeat!
    I have a Clear Organizer Wallet too, but for me it’s too fiddly for an everyday wallet. But I use it in the Travel Cubelet when I carry very little, to sport events for example. In that case I usually take just two or three cards (ID, debit card and driver’s license or public transport ticket) and cash. I’m fine with it for one evening. As for the snaphook - just cut it off. I have done that to quite a few of my organizers. You can cut through the plastic ring with a decent standard pair of scissors. TB now sells key straps with split rings and I have mine permanently fixed to the key strap, but I’ve also installed non-TB split rings before which I can attach to a standard key strap if I want.

The not so minimalist wallet?-56f8e3f0-97ef-4f4d-af70-ed60e7abe15e-jpeg
    Last edited by b1gsky; 02-08-2020 at 12:02 AM.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently got to see a organiser wallet. And it did intrigue me. Way too big to carry in your pocket but it got me thinking maybe there should be a ghost whale wallet. Couldn’t be too hard to sew the dividers in I wouldn’t imagine?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast