Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Live near Chicago. Love Colorado and New Mexico.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 30 and Luminary 15 for Travel? CPAP involved

Hello all,

This is my first post, and it probably seems kind of silly, but here goes. I am presently a very happy owner of an Aeronaut 45 in Coyote (how can you not but love that color?!). I like it a lot, and have used it for more terrestrial travel. As an aside, I have a Synapse 25 in Burnt Orange (and coyote pulls) which I was using for school, but just couldn't get on with it, so looks like my niece or nephew in college are getting a gift! I also have an Icon in Nebulous Grey that I use for my camera, and a Pop Tote in Nebulous Grey. You can kind of get my color way!

Anyhow, I have on order an Aeronaut 30 in Burnt Orange along with Coyote pulls, and a Luminary 15 in Nebulous Grey/Dawn. Am I thinking right on this: I have a CPAP Machine, and I really don't like its carrying case for travel. I have put it in checked baggage once or twice when I flew, and always sighed with relief when nothing happened (I know, not the best thing to do!). A friend of mine and I are thinking of travel to Lake Louise or elsewhere this summer, and I thought rather than fret about the ability to get the A45 in the cabin with me, to use instead an A30, putting my CPAP in the bottom of the L15, wires and tubing probably in the A30. I don't think there would be a hassle getting both on the plane, and the L15 would be great to walk around with (along with either the Pop Tote and/or the Icon. The real issue is making sure the CPAP is safe. It's a pain, but I need it.

Sorry for this being my first post, but Kat is probably sighing with relief that I am not inundating here with questions about this via email (yet!). Isn't she the best?!

Thanks for any and all assistance and insight.

Peace,
    Rich

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richosa View Post

This is my first post, and it probably seems kind of silly, but here goes.
    Welcome to the Forums Rich! No silly questions or posts, it's why we're all here - to geek out about TB bags and various other things. There are quite a few folks who travel with CPAP machines that I'm sure will chime in.

And Kat is the bomb - I'm sure she'd be quite happy to answer any questions you have. All the Customer Service peeps at TB are incredibly nice and helpful
    Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, @richosa! I travel with a CPAP too--I hear you about it being a pain to travel with, but the benefit I get from it is worth the hassle.

Are you asking if the CPAP will fit in the L15 (depends on what model of CPAP you have), or if ditching the CPAP's own carrying case is a crazy idea (not at all!), or were you wondering something else?
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind welcome! I believe the CPAP will fit at the bottom. Just wondering how others have approached this situation. I am all ears!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing worth bearing in mind is that if the CPAP is in a bag on its own I believe it has to be allowed on board as a medical device in the US. That said, I don't have a CPAP and my knowledge on this subject comes from Reddit! So if you're short on space, you could always pop it into a Pop Tote or similar and carry it on an as "extra"? Though it's not ideal with juggling extra bags which may well be the problem you're trying to avoid...
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Cafť Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a travel CPAP machine that fits in the end pocket of my A30 (I have a ResMed AirMini), so that's how I handle it personally. My home machine is a ResMed AirSense 10 and when I was flying with it (pre-AirMini), I kept it in it's travel case and carried it on as my allowed 3rd item (medical device exemption in the US). Those machines are so pricey that I'm not willing to chance it to checking it in a suitcase. If I was traveling with an A45, I would pack the CPAP in the main compartment, sandwiched between packing cubes for packing and stability, rather than it taking up so much room in an L15. That said, the CPAP may need advanced screening at TSA and having it in the middle of the bag can make things interesting - yay packing cubes! :-)

I'm not sure that answered the question, but that's how I deal with my machine. Big Grin
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @RosemaryOrchard! You are correct about me NOT wanting to deal with the hassle of the CPAP's own case.

Rich

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jessmakes, I am seriously considering the AirMini! Thanks for the reply!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jessmakes, I am seriously considering the AirMini! Thanks for the reply!
    I'm a big fan of it for traveling - it's not my preferred machine at home, but the size cannot be beat when traveling. My whole set up (the tubes/cords/machine/mask) will fit in a large snake charmer and it fits nicely in the end pocket. Definitely worth it as far as I'm concerned!
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jessmakes - Well, you convinced me...now to find where to buy that! Rich

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jessmakes - Well, you convinced me...now to find where to buy that! Rich
    I got mine from cpap.com a few years ago, but if I were buying it now, I would probably go through thecpapshop.com as they have the option for a 30 day trial which is nice when you are laying out a lot of money for a machine that you haven't tried. Smilie

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessmakes View Post
    I got mine from cpap.com a few years ago, but if I were buying it now, I would probably go through thecpapshop.com as they have the option for a 30 day trial which is nice when you are laying out a lot of money for a machine that you haven't tried. Smilie
    Thanks! Now I may have to purchase another Snake Charmer! I appreciate the information!

Rich

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: Purchased the A30 in Burnt Orange and the L15 in Nebulous Grey. And thanks to @jessmakes, actually purchased the Mini CPAP, and fits perfectly in the large Snake Charmer. Thanks for all the advice and insights!
    Rich