Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help us with a new video! How do you use the Swivel Double Carabiners?

We're preparing to debut the beloved Swivel Double Carabiners in sizes Mini, Small, and Medium (and in various colors!) for purchase separately from the HLT and Knitting Tool Pouches. They'll likely be available for purchase by around mid-late February.

To prepare for their debut, we're making a video that shows off these handy little carabiners and what they can do. And we'd like your help! So, tell us: what are all of the ways you use, or have used, the double swivel carabiners with bags and also without bags?

Help us with a new video! How do you use the Swivel Double Carabiners?-screen-shot-2020-01-21-10-43-28-am-jpg
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havenít misplaced my wedding ring once since I started putting it directly on a carabiner clipped to an o-ring whenever I take it off. (This was in the bag hacks video.)

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started using one in the side pocket of the L12 to clip my key onto, because the o-ring on its own was hard to reach which made using a key strap bothersome. I liked this so much that I’m now also using the swivel carabiner for my keys in the DLBP and my Cafť bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit dorky, but I used the swivel to hang the HLT off of my belt loop during my factory trial, for when I needed both hands free.

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post185431
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Darcy,

Iím not sure whether all the uses I have for the Swivel Double Carabiners will fly, because I still actively use a lot of retired products and designs. So, Iíll just reference a few of the uses for these Double Carabiners that have appeared in my forum posts and pictures. In the Key Troubles thread, I posted [#15,12-09-2019] that you could create a new attachment point for a keystrap at the webbing loop location so it doesnít drop down the side or the back of the backpack. You can either thread the keystrap to lie on top of the loops, or you can directly attach a Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch via its Snaphook to lie across the loops and slide there. (Because the loops are slightly flattened, the snap hook end of an accessory will both attach and slide along the loop; or, you can attach to the metal clip of the carabiner).

This shows the direct tether of a Mini GWOP holding keys (Scrap Black with Ultraviolet accent), to the Medium Wasabi Swivel Double Carabiner Clip. (The other pictures show where the O-ring at the side would place a long keystrap down the side; pictures of GWOPs or Mini Q-Kits to hold keys, and how the current "problem" of a filled Synapse can be used to sit the keys in GWOP on top of the contents so the keys are not hard to find or access).

There are a number of pictures in the December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2) thread that show how to secure the HLTs to different backpacks.

While you can attach them directly from the thumb straps and have them hang down from the webbing loops of a Smart Alec as an Upper Modular Pocket, another way is to use a 6" keystrap secured to a pair of double carabiners that hang from the webbing straps:

(this is from post #9), where the later pictures show how the HLT2 can have the keystrap threaded through the center partition at the back, and then, when you take off the HLT2 from its UMP position on the Smart Alec, you can use it as a seat pocket bag with the double carabiners as in the picture in the first post of this thread.)

Earlier pictures in that same thread, show the (designed) use of the HLTs in the front zippered pockets of the Synapses or Syniks, e.g.:

to show how these can remain tethered and be pulled out of the pocket.

Some older posts show the way you can make the double carabiner clip into a yarn guide for a travel tray. This 2014 post answered how it might be done (there should be a much better picture around than the one that I posted then):

I happen to use the (retired) Field Journal Notebook Pocket Inserts as Mini Freudian Slips, and I tether them in my Icon or Daylight Briefcase with the Double Carabiner Clip:

From my 12-02-2019 post showing what fits into the Icon.

From my post in The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase thread in 06-15-2016

I showed that you could use a handle loop through the webbing loops of a Synapse to attach a 3DOC with a mini-Carabiner, but the Small M Double Carabiner should give more flexibility in attaching both a 3DOC or a Side Effect there. Some pictures in this 10-23-2014 post, which could be updated.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 01-21-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I crochet and I have been using it for my mini scissors and my marker.

USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a tiny one that keeps a hammock connected to it’s suspension stuff sack. It also secures that sack when the hammock is in use.

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is how Iím using mine presently. They are so useful. I always keep a pair of them in my bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I’m adding @Moose’s hack for a toiletry bag:
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Scribe, after seeing your photo and reading llkyway's idea, I went off and did this. I like that I still have full access to the zippers of both bags.

Moose
    There are other piggyback combinations with the packing cube shoulder bag (original design) together with the Daylight Briefcase (original design) or Pilot, such as this picture by @tpnl:

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I did that hack with a Cubelet to a Travel Cubelet when they first came out - totally forgot about that.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing these piggyback pics, I miss @tpnlís input. Hope he comes around again. Smilie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I’m adding @Moose’s hack for a toiletry bag:

There are other piggyback combinations with the packing cube shoulder bag (original design) together with the Daylight Briefcase (original design) or Pilot, such as this picture by @tpnl:
    Motions, that was such a great thread. I remember it having a lot of great ideas. Hope you’re well, Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clip them to the o-rings in my Swifts for yarn guides. And I use them to clip a YSS to my belt loop to knit while standing or walking. And I clip the YSS to my SK so I don't leave it behind by mistake. Like Moriond, I clip one to my YSS as a yarn guide. I like it better than the one already inside the bag.

eta: Hooray for more swivel clips! I've given a bunch to friends in my knit club. I can't wait to be able to buy them in different sizes.