Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Trinity

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
    Hey @Darcy

I know you’re burning the candle at both ends right now... so I’ll make this quick.
    Is the Trinity in production or at a standstill?

Thanks!
    Good question. Standstill is the answer for now.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Good question. Standstill is the answer for now.
    I am hoping the design process actually speeds up during this shutdown.

Lacking the factory activity amid lockdown and work at home could put new designs into overdrive. Depending how long this lasts and how far existing inventory is depleted, a product launch could be a great recovery stimulus.

Natick, MA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the factory is busy with Tom, Darcy, and Nik making masks!

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    I am hoping the design process actually speeds up during this shutdown.

Lacking the factory activity amid lockdown and work at home could put new designs into overdrive. Depending how long this lasts and how far existing inventory is depleted, a product launch could be a great recovery stimulus.
    Iíd be prepared for new designs NOT to be put into ďoverdrive.Ē Back burner even? Likely theyíve had to mega re-prioritize their efforts, especially towards mask making in helping our healthcare heroes and greater community at large. Itís Darcy, Nik, and Tom for the most part doing everything! I canít even imagine their degree of multi-tasking while having to deal with the welfare of their employees and making sure theyíre taken care of too. A lot to deal with, Iím sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The far west
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So.... there's actually four new designs in the wings that could debut when we're back to manufacturing bags. One design is so done that we have photos of it already. Smilie

The other three designs -- Tom and Nik designed them maybe a week-and-a-half ago or so (time is a blur for me right now) just so we could have some beautifully simple, superbly functional items that people might appreciate... and that could potentially be made out of fabrics we don't usually use.

I know a few people suggested we might offer items for pre-order even if we can't make the bags for a while, so that is something we are considering. I'm still reading through everyone's feedback and ideas for us (so many good ideas!)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    MO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I canít wait to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not making any money at the moment, so no new purchasing for me!, but I think offering items for pre-order - probably new colors/color combinations along with any new designs - would be a good way to keep up sales during the time of making the masks and otherwise not producing bags at the usual speed.
    For example, I would absolutely LOVE to pre-order any future Navy/Deep Blue and Dawn bags.
    Even if y'all haven't made any prototypes for pictures of color combinations, we can extrapolate from other pictures for pre-orders of existing bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be good for the soul, if you could share pictures of the new designs, as a way to see the light off the tunnel, from this worldwide crisis.

I know this is highly irregular, but circumstances are different.

Could you, if possible, share your experience with the prototype fabrics that you are using on the original shop bag.

You don't need to tell us the name of the fabric but hints like "this one is a cross between that and this fabric" or, "this one is tough enough to haul tools, canned food in bulk, and a beaver family Big Grin"

Also Kasper, Ichiro and Fiona pictures would be welcomed!
    Last edited by backpack; 03-28-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to this new bag - my favorite TB bag is the Pilot and/or Co-Pilot. I can't decide. I am really happy I snagged a Co-Pilot back when it was offered in 1050D because it lets me be pretty rough on it. I have the Pilot in Halcyon.

The Tri-Star is /almost/ what I want, but rather than the optional backpack straps I'd rather have... storage, of some kind, I guess?

I love backpacks, don't get me wrong, but I have about a dozen great backpacks when I want a backpack. My favorite is the Deuter Groden 32, but I also have Osprey/Kelty/etc. Not to mention the Synik 30 is a solid pack itself.

What I really want is some kind of glorified merging of the Tri-Star and the Pilot, preferably in about the 30L size. The shoulder strap could be useable for sling carry (like the Osprey Trillium) but with organization style between the Pilot and the Tri-Star. The Western Flyer doesn't quite work for me either.

Regardless I'm super excited to see what's coming up, the Trinity in particular. I'm not sure exactly what it will look like from after reading every post in this thread it might just do the trick.

My standard travel kit is the Deuter with the Pilot (carryon + personal item). I'd like to get a larger duffel/briefcase style bag for the carryon and use my Synapse 19 as the personal item sometimes. Guess we'll see!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait to see the new bags, if only to dream about getting out of the house and going on a trip and how I would use the new bag.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Trinity is well-suited for flat packing, just like the Tri-Star and Western Flyer. Hope that helps!
    Sounds great. If the Trinity bag is as good as I am envisioning it to be, I can imagine the small size being perfect as my everyday briefcase, and the medium size being perfect as my typical carry on bag. The large size that was mentioned for the future sounds like a good MLC alternative to the Aeronaut. I can't wait to see what this bag looks like.

The far west
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I can't wait to see the new bags, if only to dream about getting out of the house and going on a trip and how I would use the new bag.
    Here's the idea I'm considering: we debut what we can, as we can, and let people sign up to be notified via email when the bags are available for pre-order down the road. The goal being: we can share the excitement of a debut even if we're not able to share the actual physical bags. Smilie

Some of the new designs would likely have to be shared as simple drawn sketches (with, you know, the typical extremely long and wordy product descriptions.....) as we can't devote production time right now to even making one sample bag in one color.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the idea I'm considering: we debut what we can, as we can, and let people sign up to be notified via email when the bags are available for pre-order down the road. The goal being: we can share the excitement of a debut even if we're not able to share the actual physical bags. Smilie

Some of the new designs would likely have to be shared as simple drawn sketches (with, you know, the typical extremely long and wordy product descriptions.....) as we can't devote production time right now to even making one sample bag in one color.
    Sounds like a great way to move forward. Really appreciate it.

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds pretty ideal, thanks Darcy! Would it be feasible at that stage to have at least an estimate on the prices of the new stuff?
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

The far west
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    That sounds pretty ideal, thanks Darcy! Would it be feasible at that stage to have at least an estimate on the prices of the new stuff?
    I'm afraid not. Part of the PPB (Pre-Production Batch) process is materials sourcing and costing: Lisa, Fong, Nik, and Tom working together on finished samples, specific materials and sewing times. We wouldn't be able to begin the PPB process for any new design until we're back to making bags.

We were reminded of how important it is to calculate cost within the context of a PPB after we hit the ground running making one of the three mask styles we've made; our initial costs and time estimates were based on some factors that ended up being quite different from our estimates, like the number of crew able to come back to work (some are at home caring for family, and naturally we respect that choice), and the unexpected difficulty of working with a material that we hadnít previously worked with. Weíre getting up to speed making masks now, but still arenít that close to our original estimate: now we know better to sharpen our pencils and do our PPB first.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast