Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guardian light discontinued?

Was looking to buy the Skookum Guardian light, but saw that there isn't an option to buy them.

Are they discontinued or will they be making more in the future?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smc2323 View Post
    Was looking to buy the Skookum Guardian light, but saw that there isn't an option to buy them.

Are they discontinued or will they be making more in the future?
    Yes, they are discontinuing
    See this post from @Darcy

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post175814

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    an early heads-up: all versions of our Guardian Lights will also retire after they're restocked one more time (that'll be within the next two weeks).

@moriond just answered some questions in a different thread and included a link to a site selling similar... and as mentioned, there are versions of the lights on Amazon, but not necessarily made to mil standards

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...tml#post187246
    Last edited by G42; 01-25-2020 at 06:49 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for taking the time to find those posts!

Hopefully I'll be able to find a decent replacement!

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has always been a qualm of mine, that the light loop is specific to Guardian lights, which has a different size clip than 90% of rear bike lights. I commute by bike in the dark and to be very honest, the Guardian light is not bright enough to make me feel visible to cars. There are way brighter lights that use USB charging that fit on your bike seat post. But I like having a light on my backpack because it’s higher and makes me more visible. Most light clips don’t fit securely on the loop on TB backpacks. I always thought that was a big design flaw. Light loops are welcome, but they need to be more useful.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @smc2323,

As @G42 noted, the last batch of Guardian Lights was restocked at the end of June 2019. The Skookum Dog Guardian Light (with Coyote Base) sold out earlier. The last two of the strap mount Guardian Lights (Black Base) were sold in the last week. They still have the original version that you can suspend from an O-ring as an interior bag light for sale.

I haven’t seen any varieties of the strap mount version (that works at the bottom of the Synapse, Synik, and other bags) with a Coyote base, except for the ones that Tom BIHN sold.

While I’ve found a number of other places that sell these lights (usually for dogs, to mount on their collars), and while you can find them on Amazon, eBay, and elsewhere, you should be very careful not to confuse these with older models from Adventure Lights that only fit 1” wide webbing. Use the pictures that I included in my recent post to check that the backside mounting has slot points for connecting in both the thinner (1”) and wider (1.5”) directions.

On closer examination, the Orvis dog site web page that I referenced shows a version that only attaches to 1” wide straps

Guardian light discontinued?-7x0gt6vd_alt-jpg

The product view that I included from the Adventure Lights page showed the angled view that is easier to check than the image that was on the TB product page:

If you view some of the eBay guardian light options you’ll find some versions which have a similar design, but only with connection slots for the short (1” wide) direction.

Even going through the list of Dealers of dog products and outdoor products from the Adventure Lights pages, you’ll find many places only stock certain models. You seem to get a better hit rate if you look for guardian lights for hunting dog collars, e.g.
    Guardian Dog Collar Lights or Adventure Lights Guardian Hunting Dog Safety Light (from keepdoggiesafe.com)

@Rocks,

Adventure Lights does seem to have a Guardian Bike Light that looks like the original version of the light, with a base attachment that can get hooked onto the bike. The problem is, the original version won’t mount as securely to a backpack with just the clip structure.

HTH

moriond

ETA: Also, remember that these lights will work on two CR2032 batteries. The included battery packs that arrive from Adventure Lights have the two individual batteries taped together
    Guardian light discontinued?-img_2682-jpg

It makes it look as though this is a special battery — it isn’t, and if the battery runs down you can just replace it with two CR2032 batteries stacked one on top of another, just as described on our Guardian Light product pages.

Also, here’s an example of what I mean by saying that you can check that you have the correct version of a Guardian Light that will fit a 1.5” wide strap mount. The Guardian Dog Collar Lights link at eisendogsupplies.com doesn’t give a side angled view of the light, but it includes in its description the fact that it will work mounted on 1.5” wide collars. it also show the back of the mounted light:
    Guardian light discontinued?-55501img2-e1512179655849-jpg

You can see that the slots allow mounting along both short (1”) and long (1.5”) directions even though the leash or collar being shown is 1” wide.
    Last edited by moriond; 01-27-2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Added info on batteries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a tiny, inexpensive light, I have this and LOVE it.

6095 Nebo Lumo LED Keychain Clip Light with Carabiner - Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QSMPDJC..._xOpmEbWHJY2MX