Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Co-pilot Refresh?

I'm a huge TB fan, have been for years! At my company, I buy every new employee a TB bag, and they all love them.

I recently got my first Copilot, and it's the perfect EDC! I'm planning to post a "what's in my bag" soon, I think I've got this thing pretty dialed in.

Three things I'd love to see in a refresh:
    • Removable padding for the bottom of the main compartment. I cut up a piece of foam to do this, but I'd love a "perfect" solution here.
    • An extra ~inch of width. It's just barely too small to get a file folder in the back pocket, and the edges get crunched up inside.
    • Main compartment zippers that go lower would make it much easier to access things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swhme View Post
    I'm a huge TB fan, have been for years! At my company, I buy every new employee a TB bag, and they all love them.

I recently got my first Copilot, and it's the perfect EDC! I'm planning to post a "what's in my bag" soon, I think I've got this thing pretty dialed in.

Three things I'd love to see in a refresh:
    • Removable padding for the bottom of the main compartment. I cut up a piece of foam to do this, but I'd love a "perfect" solution here.
    • An extra ~inch of width. It's just barely too small to get a file folder in the back pocket, and the edges get crunched up inside.
    • Main compartment zippers that go lower would make it much easier to access things

All good ideas! Welcome to the Forums.
    Monster Truck (Nebulous Gray) Cadet (Steel /NW Sky) Yeoman Duffel (Burnt Orange)

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, welcome to the forums, @swhme!

As regards width, the Pilot is a slightly larger version of the Co-Pilot, which would hopefully address your issue with file folders and the like. The larger size also means that its main compartment opens a bit wider, even though the zippers are roughly proportional to the Co-Pilot's.

Glad to have you, and I'm looking forward to see your load-out post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pilot is much bigger than I'd like for EDC. I actually find that I don't use my Pilot at all anymore. If I need something that big, I go to the Tumi Alpha 3 Briefcase, because the internal structure keeps papers in better shape. So, if I'm going to a big meeting and need 10+ folders of collateral, I'll go with the Tumi.

Frustratingly, it feels like the Co-Pilot is just a HAIR too small for when I'm running to a meeting and want to throw one folder of material into my bag. I can't put it in the back sleeve, so I end up having to very carefully get it into the main pocket, where the corners inevitably get smashed up

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @swhme, welcome! I'm curious, what TB bag is it that you buy for all your employees? Or do you let them each choose?
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an original Co-Pilot from when they were introduced. It had been languishing with my luggage, but I have returned to using it when I have a heavy EDC but don't need my laptop. Regular file folders can get crumpled along the edges inside a Co-Pilot. My solution is to use Avery Document Sleeves, which provide structure but are slightly smaller and fit perfectly.

https://www.avery.com/products/folderpockets/72262

France
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a Co-Pilot, but I am increasingly using a Makers Bag when I don't need the size and organisation of a Pilot. The Makers Bag is fine for carrying A4 documentation without crumpling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpcross View Post
    I have an original Co-Pilot from when they were introduced. It had been languishing with my luggage, but I have returned to using it when I have a heavy EDC but don't need my laptop. Regular file folders can get crumpled along the edges inside a Co-Pilot. My solution is to use Avery Document Sleeves, which provide structure but are slightly smaller and fit perfectly.

https://www.avery.com/products/folderpockets/72262

Interesting-- we have custom presentation folders with our branding that we use... it's about time to order more, maybe I'll look around for a slightly smaller version!

Forum Member
    Denver, CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally enjoy the Co-Pilot that I bought when it was first introduced. Great bag that has virtually replaced my Tumi Alpha Ballistic and Schlessinger Belting leather briefcase as an EDC. If I need to carry more, I use one of these bags. Most times, the Co-Pilot works as designed.

Ventura, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swhme View Post
    Are you hiring? Co-pilot Refresh?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Co-Pilot (Nordic Halcyon/Wasabi), Medium Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Olive), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Cloud), Ristretto 13" (Black/Steel), Side Effect (Nordic Halcyon/Wasabi)