Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parapack Syniks - How Are Yours Holding Up?

After much deliberation and mind changing, I have decided to purchse a a Synik in black parapack (my first TB bag!). I understand the reputation of parapack - both good and bad. Those of you that have had your parapack Syniks for a few months now - how is it holding up? Do you still feel like you made the right decision in material? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated too!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a Navy Parapack Synik 30 for slightly under 60 days. It's holding up fine. There are a few white scuffs on the exterior at the bottom of the water bottle pocket from where I scraped it against a white wall, but other than that, it's holding up fine.

Parapack has a nice hand, and I like the depth and sheen of the fabric.

I definitely prefer Parapack to the Cordura of my Synapse 25.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my Navy Parapack SN 30 for half a year now and I use it daily as my EDC as well as for travelling mainly with trains. I have had some marks here and there but nothing serious and I removed all of them with a damp cloth. Apart from that the bag looks like new! I never regretted my decision that I chose Parapack. I will add some pics tomorrow.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    I have my Navy Parapack SN 30 for half a year now and I use it daily as my EDC as well as for travelling mainly with trains. I have had some marks here and there but nothing serious and I removed all of them with a damp cloth. Apart from that the bag looks like new! I never regretted my decision that I chose Parapack. I will add some pics tomorrow.
    I was hoping you would reply, you are mostly responsible for my purchase thanks to your insight on your parapack bags that you have offered up in different threads throughout the forum. Your bag is beautiful and I am eager to see your pictures!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of the very first parapack Synik 30's, from the pre-production-batch. In Navy blue. I waffled a bit over the choice of parapack / 525, because I love both materials, but the parapack is just gorgeous. I don't abuse my gear, but I don't baby it either. It goes back and forth to work with me everyday, I toss it in my truck, under my desk, take it hiking, etc. Wherever. It still looks just as good at the day I got it.

For me, the parapack is mostly about the tactile experience. It just _feels_ like something high quality. It's hard to put into words exactly what it is, but it's clear from the moment you look at a Tom Bihn bag, that they "use the nice stuff". Of course, the same goes for the 525, which is just a gorgeous material as well.

But the parapack has this "depth" to it when you have it out in the sunlight, and it's just a really lovely tactile experience.

As far as do I think I made the wrong decision? I'll put it this way: I bought another one as a backup, just in case I lose or destroy this one somehow (unlikely, but you never know), and Tom Bihn decides to stop making these in parapack. Unless you're just really anticipating beating the living daylights out of your bag, I can't imagine you'd be dissapointed in how well it holds up to daily use.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I painstakenly thought about whether I wanted 525 or Parapack and I decided to go with Parapack for the reasons you mentioned - it just looks great and from what I've read, feels even better. I figured if it scuffs, it scuffs and I just need to be ok with that. Sounds like that won't be an issue. I also realize 525 is a very popular option and getting Parapack is a unique choice and I'll be really glad to have it if/when TB retires the Parapack Synik. Sounds dumb but it sort of matters to me.

My Synik should be arriving tomorrow and I cannot wait to see it and feel it.
    Last edited by kemote; 01-29-2020 at 06:49 PM.
    S25 | WF | DLBP

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...sorry for being a bit late but today I took some pictures of my Navy Parapack Synik 30 after 6 months of virtually daily and heavy use through rain and shine (I am commuting with my bike):

Parapack Syniks - How Are Yours Holding Up?-synik_6m-1-jpg

Parapack Syniks - How Are Yours Holding Up?-synik_6m-4-jpg

Parapack Syniks - How Are Yours Holding Up?-synik_6m-3-jpg

Parapack Syniks - How Are Yours Holding Up?-synik_6m-5-jpg

If you look very closely you'll see some minor stains and scratches. Most of them can be removed with a damp cloth. Even more will disappear after thorough cleaning with some mild soap in the bathtub. Some will stay and contribute to the patina...

Parapack Syniks - How Are Yours Holding Up?-synik_6m-2-jpg
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...sorry for being a bit late but today I took some pictures of my Navy Parapack Synik 30 after 6 months of virtually daily and heavy use through rain and shine (I am commuting with my bike)
    Thanks for this, your bag looks great all things considered! I think I have accepted that my bag will not always look perfect but lang's response above gives me some hope too. I am not going to baby this bag but I also will not disrespect it either. My hope is to use this bag for 10+ years and whatever it looks like then is what it will be. Thanks for sharing.
    S25 | WF | DLBP

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azbandit View Post
    I think I have accepted that my bag will not always look perfect but lang's response above gives me some hope too.
    I am sure you'll love the bag! Let us know!

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure you'll love the bag! Let us know!
    I received my bag yesterday and you are right, Parapack is just an incredible material and way more durable than I expected. I did scuff tests on it and all scuffs easily wiped away. I’m going to join you in singing the praises of Parapack on this forum!
    S25 | WF | DLBP