Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melbourne TB Debut: Khalils More Minimalist Wallets

So after my last post on the matter. The not so minimalist wallet?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I started planning. What if I cut the wallet in half? What do I do with the loop? But the loop is in the way! What do I do with the other half?

I had decided the best course of action was to cut a “wave” pattern and use the “protruding area” to put eyelets and that would be me solution. Every eyelet I saw though wasn’t perfect. I couldn’t find ones that were perfectly clean patterned on both sides and didn’t show the “inner throat” of the eyelet on one side. Then I got back to the loop.

So I said my prayers so I don’t totally stuff this up and began.

So I first removed the current loop. That gave me the space to cut where I wanted to. I cut the wallet in half. It occurred to me that hollowed our paracord is all that’s needed for the loop and my absolutely favourite combo with my coyote bags is Iberian cord so I have plenty of that around. So I made the first wallet with the Iberian cord.

The second half of the wallet (the clear side) presented more of a challenge. I wanted to use the original loop but that meant the wallet would have to be bigger than I would have liked. So I compromised. I setttled on a angle pattern to one side to make space for the loop. I’m not quite convinced on this method one but i can live with it.

And so I now present to you Khalil’s More Minimalist Wallets. Debuted here in Melbourne.

Overall I’m absolutely thrilled with the wallet. It is now for me the absolute perfect carry for my needs. I think I voided my warranty though Melbourne TB Debut: Khalils More Minimalist Wallets

Thanks for looking.

Khalil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LordAnubis; 01-27-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    So after my last post on the matter The not so minimalist wallet?
    I started planning. What if I cut the wallet in half? What do I do with the loop? But the loop is in the way! What do I do with the other half?
    This is a version of the link that will work for people who are not using TapaTalk on a mobile device.

HTH,

moriond

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The end result looks really good! Being daring paid off. Wink

Good job. Smilie
    Last edited by b1gsky; 01-27-2020 at 09:59 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did a great job with this @LordAnubis - looks very nice.

Way back when he was designing the wallet, Nik imagined that basically what you've made here would be the first and most minimalist of the wallet options. And... I said I thought that'd be *too* minimalist for most folks, so Wallet #1 became the first option. Embarrassment

Nik's pretty busy with design projects right now, but he says he can see offering a version of the wallet like this later in the year.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    You did a great job with this @LordAnubis - looks very nice.

Way back when he was designing the wallet, Nik imagined that basically what you've made here would be the first and most minimalist of the wallet options. And... I said I thought that'd be *too* minimalist for most folks, so Wallet #1 became the first option. Embarrassment

Nik's pretty busy with design projects right now, but he says he can see offering a version of the wallet like this later in the year.

LordAnubis did a great job at making an ultra-minimalist card holder, which is what I call those kind of wallets.

I agree with you Darcy, to me, a wallet needs to have a butterfly shape, a closing mechanism and a way to be clipped to Key Strap.

I once lost a butterfly shaped wallet with all my important stuff, in the taxi that took me to an almost empty apartment, at midnight, to do the last of the cleaning/non-profit donations, in the next few days.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, even with that kind of modification, the Nik's Wallets still don't work for me. The design pretty much suffers from the same flaw (for me anyways) as most other minimalist wallets, that they're designed around credit cards and can't fit slightly larger cards you might have to carry. In my case, there's a series of cards I carry that are slightly larger than a credit card (Vehicle ownership, vehicle insurance, out of province medical coverage card, amateur radio operator's license, etc...) that don't fit in a standard credit card slot. A standard credit card is approximately (using the tape measure at my desk) 54mm (2 1/4") x 86mm (3 3/8"). The stuff I need to carry varies, but the widest is 67mm (2 5/8") and the longest is 94mm (3 11/16"). Because of that, I've stuck with with my Dash wallet because it's the only one I've found that fits (https://dashwallets.com/collections/...-bifold-wallet).

However, the Dash doesn't hold up well. Oh, it's still functionally fine after nearly 3 years of use, but within the first few months it developed many snags and frays and is unsightly looking. If Nik could prototype an option that had a slightly bigger pocket for non standard sized stuff, I'd love to give it a try. I know with TB's views on quality that I'd never have to worry about things fraying, snagging or looking unsightly. But first and foremost though, it's gotta work for me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @LordAnubis - great job!
    I am at the other end of the spectrum; I have a ridiculously maximalist wallet from another company. I'd love to just carry a few credit cards, but I do end up using cash too, so I prefer a big pocket where it is all laid out flat and easy to sort and access discretely. I like to have it as a safeguard; I figure that if all of our computer systems go down as a result of cyber warfare or extreme weather (and neither scenario seems too far-fetched to me), it will be important to have real money in hand for at least a day or two. (I'm not assuming there will be an apocalypse, but an extended period of time where ATMs are not accessible seems possible.) And I do use cash for buying things off Craigslist or for small businesses where I don't want to sock them with the credit or debit card fee.
    It's too bad, because I have admired Nik's Wallets since they came out, and they would take up so much less space than what I'm currently using.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words all.

It was kinda hard to do the sewing! Who knew sewing a straight line would be so hard. Luckily it’s all hidden Melbourne TB Debut: Khalils More Minimalist Wallets. It’s now where near Tom Bihn quality but it’s served its purpose for me Melbourne TB Debut: Khalils More Minimalist Wallets

I think even “extra compartments” for this wallet would be cool. As in add a clear panel to the back side of the wallet so you’ll have a front solid pocket, a middle pocket and a back clear pocket for people who may like ID visible.

Also if I had the choice I’d make the fabric cover the whole card but then have a top 15mm foldable down to show the top of the cards like this does.

Lastly, a diagonal Tom Bihn logo would be great on it like on the cubelets I think Melbourne TB Debut: Khalils More Minimalist Wallets

My 2cents worth and look forward to the wonderful designs that may come up.