Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghost Whale volumes?

This is more a comment than a question, but when comparing accessories (specifically Ghost Whales vs Q Kits), I've just noticed the Ghost Whales page doesn't list volumes.

I know volume measurements are approximate at best, but I imagine I'm not the only one who would find that kind of info helpful on the site.

Thanks!

PS -- In the forum here, Cristina's GW-to-OP comparison here is very helpful (though I'm still digging for a Q Kit comparison).

Forum Member
    MO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is that the GW pouches donít list a volume because they are essentially flat. The larger the GW pouch is the more volume it holds, not just because of the increased length and width, but because it can bulge more. The Q Kit is different in that it is actually seen with dimension so they can list a volume for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havenít got numbers, but hereís a visual on one iteration of what an A5 holds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halstead.nathan View Post
    My guess is that the GW pouches don’t list a volume because they are essentially flat. The larger the GW pouch is the more volume it holds, not just because of the increased length and width, but because it can bulge more. The Q Kit is different in that it is actually seen with dimension so they can list a volume for it.
    Very true, and doubly so for the flat-flat OPs. But since the GWs do have more depth, I know I'd find some approximations (if possible) helpful.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could calculate the volume of the rectangle, using an estimate of .25" or so for the third dimension... and take a SWAG

So the using the 4.1 x 2.8 x 0.25 for the super mini GW for example, you get 2.87 cu in or 0.047 Liters

Since the GWs are only spec'd as L x W, the D is basically whatever seam allowance there is.. the bulk of the seams will impact the volume too though.

You could fill a GW with BBs or something equally small and then check those to a volumetric cylinder or similar, but that seems unnecessarily fiddly
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking for a comparison between the small GW and a small QKit? Will give me a project if you say yes Stick Out Tongue

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    You could calculate the volume of the rectangle, using an estimate of .25" or so for the third dimension... and take a SWAG

So the using the 4.1 x 2.8 x 0.25 for the super mini GW for example, you get 2.87 cu in or 0.047 Liters

Since the GWs are only spec'd as L x W, the D is basically whatever seam allowance there is.. the bulk of the seams will impact the volume too though.

You could fill a GW with BBs or something equally small and then check those to a volumetric cylinder or similar, but that seems unnecessarily fiddly
    I applaud your math, G42! I was thinking along similar lines, but then chickened out before I started calculating because geometry was long enough ago that I couldn't quite be sure if I was heading in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by bijoux View Post
    Are you looking for a comparison between the small GW and a small QKit? Will give me a project if you say yes Stick Out Tongue
    Happy to give you a project, bijoux, if you're up for such a comparison! (No worries, if not, though.) Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    I applaud your math, G42! I was thinking along similar lines, but then chickened out before I started calculating because geometry was long enough ago that I couldn't quite be sure if I was heading in the right direction.
    Ha! multitasking whilst on a phone meeting... I asked Google
    https://www.calculator.net/volume-calculator.html
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

International unit of measure

Ghost Whale volumes?-c5dfbe34-f2cf-4ff2-b68f-221595d9a655-jpegGhost Whale volumes?-090c5674-125f-41b0-b36b-250291bdc2c2-jpeg

Peanut M&Ms

(104 in the ghost whale EEK!)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoux View Post
    Ghost Whale volumes?-c5dfbe34-f2cf-4ff2-b68f-221595d9a655-jpegGhost Whale volumes?-090c5674-125f-41b0-b36b-250291bdc2c2-jpeg

Peanut M&Ms

(104 in the ghost whale EEK!)
    OMG, that's perfect, bijoux, and brilliant unit of measure. Super helpful. Thanks so much!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't think volume measurements would be so helpful for pouches, since in something so small, it is usually the exact dimensions that constrain what can go inside. I don't know if it exists in one place, like a FAQ or a sticky thread, but a list of what people carry in the different sizes would be the best resource. Get a large enough list for each product, and most people would be able to find something they either own or can visualize.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke