Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Project shop bag handle shortening

So against my known issue I purchased some large shop bags anyway. As expected the handles are long for my hobbit stature and the bag touches the ground. They work quite well for shoulder mode but I just canít carry a fully loaded bag in shoulder mode and walk the 10 mins home. When loaded the bag touches the ground. Ineed to shorten the straps to be about 5-10cm shorter.

So I was wondering what the suggestion would be for shortening the straps?

I tried a whole contraption of some carabiners to try and loop and lock the straps but it just doesnít work. The best way I actually found was to loop the strap back above the handle but then you have a carabiner where youíre trying to hold the back. Not ideal.

Fold and sew? Use bartacks? I have no idea what would be suitable stitching for this and would be out of my depth I imagine. My only sewing experience is I sewed two straight lines with a borrowed sewing machine for the project even more minimalist wallet. Iíd love to sew it as itíll look neat but donít want ruin the strength of the bag.

Then lastly I was trying out some rope wraps. Using red here so you can easily see whatís going on but likely Iíll buy some slightly thinner black paracord.

First step fold back the strap and put the cord at each end of the ďswitch backsĒ. This is the most important as it holds the loop backs and stops them slipping out.

Then start wrapping the cord.

The end product after tieing off. I just put a dodgy knot here but Iíll look for something solid and possibly hidden.

Comparison between long strap and short strap

Yes itís not great but itís as best as can do at the moment unless anyone has any other ideas? Would love to hear them Project shop bag handle shortening

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.
    To me, one of the best features of the bags are the poron handles, so if you do shorter the straps (by any method), I would shorten equally per side, to keep the poron section centered
    If you're not particularly willing or confident on sewing the handles shorter yourself, try bringing them to a tailor/alterations place
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Hmmm.
    To me, one of the best features of the bags are the poron handles, so if you do shorter the straps (by any method), I would shorten equally per side, to keep the poron section centered
    If you're not particularly willing or confident on sewing the handles shorter yourself, try bringing them to a tailor/alterations place
    Absolutely. The handles are great and if I was to cut them Iíd be cutting both sides for sure.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Project shop bag handle shortening

The local hardware store didnít have black cord for some reason. So hereís the final result. So happy with the size!

Last edited by LordAnubis; 02-08-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job!

I would welcome a version of the large shop bags, Truck and Monster Truck with hand handles myself. In addition to the versions with the shoulder straps.