Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Tom Bihn Ever Used or Considered Fidlock Buckles (or has anyone hacked one)?

I searched the forums and found nothing. Has TB ever used or considered using Fidlock magnetic buckles? Has anyone hacked their bag by replacing a Duraflex buckle with a Fidlock buckle? The cafe bags seem like a natural for the 25 mm Fidlock slider buckle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about Fidlock, but I recall seeing on the FB group where someone had hacked their Synapse shoulder straps with Cobra buckles.

AustriAlpin Cobra buckles

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @haraya I remember seeing that mod with the cobra buckles - it was for the quick release of the shoulder straps. Very cool and nice touch.

@ayazgood Iíve found myself wishing for some Fidlocks. It might make me go back to the bags with flaps. So easy for the magnets at both ends to find each other and align the buckle ends back into place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cobras are metal, way too heavy and I don't want any magnet anywhere near a bag that might contain electronic.

Tom Bihn's buckles are the best! The sturdiest and they are lightweight.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have a cheap canvass flap over bag that I liked, but it was not well built and had funky hardware closures that broke. I really liked the casual material and form factor though, and the ease of getting in and out of it, while still having some cover. I started eyeing the small cafe bag as a possible midway bag between my sling bag and a backpack, or as a simple travel companion to the GE SN30 I ordered. However, I find the buckle closure kind of clunky looking and I suspect I would find it cumbersome in practice. I have a briefcase with a magnetic flap, but that is just over an outside pocket. Having seen several travel bags and straps using magnetic closures and fidlocks, I wondered if TB had ever considered anything similar.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a fidlock slider sewn in place of the buckle on a Maker's Bag, and it's amazing. In my opinion it makes the bag so much more functional with the ability to operate the closure one-handed, and gives a more premium vibe. Fidlocks, and the slider in particular, really do feel like wizardry.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Iím going to replace the clip in my Ego with one of those Fidlocks!