Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly a 45 liter bag (MLC45 but often the A30) and a 18-25 liter backpack.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    When being out and about the bigger bag is on the back and the S19 is carried like a purse, by the hand.

At the airport, the S19 is on my back and the bigger bag is carried by the hand portrait style, so it can rest on the floor in lines.
    I like the idea of being able to switch back and forth. Good thought!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a trip to Europe with family for about the same amount of time with my Aeronaut 30 but my second bag was a large travel purse. For me the Aeronaut 30 was much more mangeable as a backpack with the smaller item as a shoulder bag (mentioned several times already by others). Having a purse was enough in that instance (summer trip so no sweater to carry, son old enough to carry his stuff during the day).

Some pictures here:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...tml#post151604

I DID have my Aeronaut with a Synapse 19 on another trip, and I kept carrying the S19 by the top handle like a shopping bag, while the A30 was on my back. It just was easier on my back and shoulder. However then I had my beautiful S19 as a day bag, which I love very much.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
    I did a trip to Europe with family for about the same amount of time with my Aeronaut 30 but my second bag was a large travel purse. For me the Aeronaut 30 was much more mangeable as a backpack with the smaller item as a shoulder bag (mentioned several times already by others). Having a purse was enough in that instance (summer trip so no sweater to carry, son old enough to carry his stuff during the day).

Some pictures here:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...tml#post151604

I DID have my Aeronaut with a Synapse 19 on another trip, and I kept carrying the S19 by the top handle like a shopping bag, while the A30 was on my back. It just was easier on my back and shoulder. However then I had my beautiful S19 as a day bag, which I love very much.
    Thanks for the info!
    But, since I'm a guy - I won't be using a purse Smilie. The Synik 22 will be my daypack as opposed to a purse. But, I think the solution that a few others suggested where I can put the aeronaut on my back if there's a long walk, and carry the smaller SN22 - that will get the job done!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option folks have mentioned in various threads is putting (whichever) small backpack into a Shop Bag for the in-transit portion of the trip because it's easier to hand carry that the top handle of the pack. Then you leave the Shop Bag in your room or pack it into the backpack and use the backpack for walking around in the final location.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheuptick View Post
    I like the idea of being able to switch back and forth. Good thought!
    That particular trip I had a Aeronaute 45 and an S19 as well as a SCB packed in the S45 and used as a Packing Cube, so I can use the SCB, as a purse, if we were to go to a restaurant or museum.

On another trip, I took the Tristar with the Daylight Backpack used as a Packing Cube. I also took a Large Shop Bag which carried the SBC organized by the Travel Cubelet inside, and other TB accessories and electronics. So I was able to go to a fancy meal with my Travel Cubelet and run errands with the Daylight Backpack. Dealing with the airports with all that seemed uneventful.

On yet another trip, I took the same bags but, it was an early spring that couldn't decide if it wanted to go full on spring and sunshine or, stay as late snowy winter.
    Consequently, I had to shlep my winter layers, on top of the Large Shop Bag, the airports lines were nightmarish, and the constant temperature changes made me exhausted, causing me to become sick for quite a while (cold to flu).

I haven't traveled further than my local art store and book store ever since. Even without travel, this winter has been brutal on my health, our area has been collecting all kind of colds and respiratory cruds, family and friends getting sick one after the other, so of course I got it too.
    During that time, I have been rethinking my packing and travel setup, I have realized that taking the Large Shop Bag, filled to the brim, on trips, is not a good idea.
    It is a perfect EDC when doing errands or other things, by car.
    But is inadequate for public transport, which I already knew for local buses and trains, I now know that it also applies to planes and ferries.

I bought a hard shell roller for a family member who has never done one bag travel and there was one in pink, right next to it, so I bought it as well. I was overjoyed when the Synicks were announced, they have an over the roller handle option. That pair (pink roller/Aubergine Synick 22) looked perfect for crowded airports lines.

But, the idea of not having my Tristar or my A45, depending on trip length and season, don't really suits me.

I can't wait to see what the Trinity is going to look like.

I am also be looking for inspiration on the forum, for more luggage pairs ideas, brought on by other members.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-20-2020 at 06:36 PM.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I am also be looking for inspiration on the forum, for more luggage pairs ideas, brought on by other members.
    My ole stand-by is the WF/DLBP-as-a-packing-cube (and I usually roll up my pilot and bring that along too).

With that, I'll be doing more personal travel soon, so I'm thinking of an additional mix-n-match triumvirate of the BB <- PCBP -> A45. I'm thinking the PCBP will fit great as a packing cube in backpack mode in each main compartment of the BB (at 36L) or if I want to step up to 45L, then the PCBP in packing cube mode fits into the A45.

And then if I REALLY want to go crazy, I could have either of those as my backpack, and the WF with DLBP as my personal item!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost always travel with two bags. Usually, I have a Synapse 25, Smart Alec or Synik 30 on my back to carry my laptop and EDC stuff. For my clothes and shoes I use my A45, Tristar or a small Yeoman and carry them with an Absolute Shoulder Strap. I like this configuration because I usually stow my large bag first (e.g. in the overhead bin) and have my backpack with me at my seat on the train or plane. Furthermore, I find it easier to navigate with a smaller pack on my back and the larger bag on my side. It is true that walking for longer distances with this configuration is not very comfortable but it is manageable.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2