Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-Bag Travel - Synik/Synapse + Aeronaut 30 carried with a shoulder strap?

Hello all!

For myself - I am a 1-bag travel guy. But in planning for taking my family (myself, wife, and 4 kids ages 3, 6, 9, 12) to Slovenia and Italy for 20 days this summer, I have realized that I will need to personally carry more than my Synik 30. Each kid will have their own backpack with most of their stuff, but someone has to schlep some extra odds and ends - and that will be me. In other shorter/simpler trips I've packed all my stuff in a S30, including a DLBP for day packing.

So, I pre-ordered a Synik 22. I also just recently got my first A30. My current thought is to wear the Synik22 as a backpack, and then carry the A30 over shoulder or with the handle. Does anyone else do extensive travel with a backpack and then A30 with a shoulder strap? How does that work?

By doing this, I would then be able to use the Synik 22 as my daypack at destinations - which would probably work better than the DLBP for this trip, carrying lots of kids activity books, water bottles, etc. I'm just a little unsure about how the A30 will work that way? In my short few days with it, it feels like it won't be too heavy and will manage well.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Forum Member
    France
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This setup (backpack + aeronaut on shoulder) unfortunately didn’t work for me. I just can’t walk with the aeronaut hanging and bumping on my side at each step. So I travel with the aeronaut on the back and a smaller personal item like the dlbc.
    But many people here use this carrying configuration and seem to enjoy it. So, you’ll not really know until you test yourself.
    A30 Steel 1050 Ballistic/Iberian 200 Halcyon • A45 Black 1050 Ballistic/Island 200 Halcyon • DLBP Black 400 Halcyon/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon • DLBC Navy Cordura ? • SK Deep Blue 525 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon • GE SN22 Ursa 525 Ballistic/Coyote 210 Ballistic • HLT1 Coyote 210 Ballistic

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheuptick View Post
    Hello all!

For myself - I am a 1-bag travel guy. But in planning for taking my family (myself, wife, and 4 kids ages 3, 6, 9, 12) to Slovenia and Italy for 20 days this summer, I have realized that I will need to personally carry more than my Synik 30. Each kid will have their own backpack with most of their stuff, but someone has to schlep some extra odds and ends - and that will be me. In other shorter/simpler trips I've packed all my stuff in a S30, including a DLBP for day packing.

So, I pre-ordered a Synik 22. I also just recently got my first A30. My current thought is to wear the Synik22 as a backpack, and then carry the A30 over shoulder or with the handle. Does anyone else do extensive travel with a backpack and then A30 with a shoulder strap? How does that work?

By doing this, I would then be able to use the Synik 22 as my daypack at destinations - which would probably work better than the DLBP for this trip, carrying lots of kids activity books, water bottles, etc. I'm just a little unsure about how the A30 will work that way? In my short few days with it, it feels like it won't be too heavy and will manage well.

Thoughts? Thank you!
    I have done similar on multiple trips, but with a Peak Design camera backpack instead of Tom Bihn one. Partially because of the way the weight ends up balancing and partially for the reason discussed in the following tangential paragraph, I prefer to carry the Aeronaut as the backpack along with a small shoulder bag as my personal item/day bag, but doing the backpack plus the Aeronaut on shoulder is perfectly fine and sometimes you really just need a backpack where you're going. Definitely get the Absolute Shoulder Strap with the Aeronaut. It's very comfortable to carry a completely stuffed A45 for a good hour or more without any break--I haven't had to test it any longer than that.

FWIW--probably as much as you're paying me to type this--I generally prefer a shoulder bag in Europe vs. a backpack. It's easier to swing in front of you in crowded areas, which is good both for security and for being polite. People swinging around with a backpack on their back in a small shop or on a crowded bus or train is a mild pet peeve of mine. You're also less likely to have a museum demand that you check a small/medium shoulder bag than a backpack, even if the backpack is the same volume. But that's way outside your question, and you probably know what you personally will want/need on your trip. Wink

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t have either a Aeronaut or a western Flyer, but it LOOKS like the western flyer, being flatter, would be more manageable carried with a strap. Have you thought about a Western flyer with your S30?

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity. Has anyone ever tried “double backing” the bags? Put the S30 on the back of the A30 (straps over the top and through straps of the s30) and then the A30 on your back? So you have the A30 on your back and the a30 has the S30 on it’s back. Would be a curious experiment 2-Bag Travel - Synik/Synapse + Aeronaut 30 carried with a shoulder strap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    Out of curiosity. Has anyone ever tried “double backing” the bags? Put the S30 on the back of the A30 (straps over the top and through straps of the s30) and then the A30 on your back? So you have the A30 on your back and the a30 has the S30 on it’s back. Would be a curious experiment 2-Bag Travel - Synik/Synapse + Aeronaut 30 carried with a shoulder strap?
    Just don't try to turn around anywhere! And heaven help you if you get off balance - if a S30 gives a person the turtle effect, an A30/S30 combo will be RIDIC.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heart’s desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried this out with with my DLBP and I quite like it !

But yes I can’t imagine a full S30 would go too well 2-Bag Travel - Synik/Synapse + Aeronaut 30 carried with a shoulder strap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done many a trip with an A45 in backpack mode and an Ego with everything heavy in it (laptop, water, books for the plane, etc.). I think your plan is a great option.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great topic as i'm a broken record that the missing Bihn Bag is a 3-way carry 20L ish "personal item" bag ... basically an S25/SN22 with a shoulder strap and briefcase handle or a WF sized down to 22L and maybe more built-in org ... or a 20L Pilot!

Given that, these days when I two-bag it (which is always BTW), it's Western Flyer all the way. Best bag in the Bihn lineup for travelers for how I travel because it's 3-way carry, works as a big EDC, on-location day pack, briefcase work bag, or luggage that's not too big and not too small.

Great example is I'm traveling this week and rode the new Delta A220 - they have tight overheads! The WF fully stuffed just squeezed in - there were people that had to gate check.

I've now decided my new 2-bag travel solution will be a two Western Flyers: 1050 WF for the overhead and a 400 Halcyon for underseat personal item (which can also have a whole section for clothes if needed. Such a wonderful bag!! (if the Trinity is better, i'll get that too Wink)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did eleven days internationally with a Luminary 15 on my back and a Western Flyer (my favorite travel bag ever!) on my shoulder. My advice from that experience is to put the heavier bag on your back and carry the lighter one on your shoulder, especially if you'll be walking a lot with them during your trip. I'll be changing to using the WF as a backpack and getting a DLBC for my shoulder, most likely.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    I tried this out with with my DLBP and I quite like it !

But yes I can’t imagine a full S30 would go too well 2-Bag Travel - Synik/Synapse + Aeronaut 30 carried with a shoulder strap?
    What a neat idea! I don't think I've seen that idea before. Would you be interested in posting that to the Bag Hacks thread?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    I've now decided my new 2-bag travel solution will be a two Western Flyers: 1050 WF for the overhead and a 400 Halcyon for underseat personal item (which can also have a whole section for clothes if needed. Such a wonderful bag!! (if the Trinity is better, i'll get that too Wink)
    I've already been thinking about using a pair of the small-sized Trinity bags in exactly the same way. Combined, they're probably about 46 liters, but either one can fit under the seat, and the other can be stuffed into overhead space that's too small for a full-sized carryon.

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Great topic as i'm a broken record that the missing Bihn Bag is a 3-way carry 20L ish "personal item" bag ... basically an S25/SN22 with a shoulder strap and briefcase handle or a WF sized down to 22L and maybe more built-in org ... or a 20L Pilot!
    It really seems like the smaller sized Trinity is going to be perfect for this niche, from what we've heard so far. Really looking forward to possibly doing two-bag travel with this and my Synapse 25.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the OP- your proposed strategy is exactly my preferred method, and for the same reasons. I like to carry a smaller backpack for the essentials & electronics, as well as EDC at the destination. Clothes go in a duffel-type bag on the shoulder.

Yesterday I got back from a 3 week trip, carrying an Evergoods CHZ and an A45 through 6 airports. The Absolute Strap is a must-have for the bag on your shoulder IMO. The A45 was my bag of choice because I needed to bring an extra pair of boots, but it wasn't too heavy. I imagine your A30 scenario should work well. Good luck!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aeronaute 45 or Tri-Star and S19.

When being out and about the bigger bag is on the back and the S19 is carried like a purse, by the hand.

At the airport, the S19 is on my back and the bigger bag is carried by the hand portrait style, so it can rest on the floor in lines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast