Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New appreciator of the WF here. I just bought one used and it came to me in pretty rough shape. I spent a few hours cleaning it up and I think I've got it back to acceptable condition (other than the odor on the interior halcyon I am currently trying to get rid of) and I am excited to use it on my next trip.

Question for you all though: how do you pack this thing? I know packing flat is the name of the game but I just can't seem to get my head around how you all can fit so much. I'm not sure if it's because I am using A30 Packing Cubes but I am befuddled. My biggest issue seems to be the loss of the two front zippered pockets once I have it packed out. If you could share some of your tips and some pictures of how you accomplish your pack of this great bag, I would greatly apprecitate it!
    S25 | GP | WF | YD | MCB

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azbandit View Post
    I'm not sure if it's because I am using A30 Packing Cubes but I am befuddled.
    I would imagine that is the problem, though I've never tried A30 packing cubes. The WF cubes completely fill the compartment, and even have to be stuffed in a bit.

On request from a family member, I did some time-lapse unpacking videos during my 16-day solo one-bag trip last year, they give a pretty good idea of what you can carry.

Opening on Arrival in Stockholm, 9 days in...
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/XYTAfhZuUpfY3c8k8

Deconstructing contents of Large face pocket (+ Bose QC30 not shown)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/LHDhvwhLFQGmdmaZ8

And the first packing cube in the front pocket:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/txpnPUxoEqoPWN1D6

Then the second:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/kpbDGNUvTgW45n8w6

And the main pocket with the rest of the clothes:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/GmmWm8ueFJmaaKSz7

And finally, everyone needs a few toiletries. I was surprised that these got me through the entire trip, save for a stick of deodorant I bought in Uppsala 12 days in:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/bV7J1YogiMajCSTH8

Obviously the selfie-tripod was also in one of these packing cubes too, along with a puffer jacket I took out of the large cube after a cold night arrival at Bromma (no jetways) that isn't shown.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    I would imagine that is the problem, though I've never tried A30 packing cubes. The WF cubes completely fill the compartment, and even have to be stuffed in a bit.
    Very helpful, thanks for the videos. I guess I will be investing in some WF packing cubes to see if that helps.
    S25 | GP | WF | YD | MCB

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one large WF cube in the main compartment with pants & shirts and my PJs rolled up inside on the edge.
    Socks, undies, bra go into an A30 small laundry cube in part of the zipped compartment of the other main section. Clear 3D cube & small Snake Charmer of toiletries/misc go in the other zippered section. Random bits get tucked in here & there.

I only use those flat front pockets for super flat things (a copy of the Economist, my Kindle, etc).
    Sometimes I also put my laptop on top of the large WF cube and another small SC with cords into the other zippered areas.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for you all though: how do you pack this thing?
    My go-to is either the DLBP for casual/business casual travel or the Eagle Creek Medium folder for business travel:

The DLBP sacrifices a little space at the top, but makes a great packing cube, plus then you have a 2nd bag:

The folder works better for me for suits / dress shirts:

Either of these provide about 17-18 liters of packing space which is quite a bit for just clothes and then you still have the full front.

If I'm going more casual, then I usually bring running shoes, and electronics in a LSC, plus a dopp kit, etc:

This is when I bring a raincoat, speaker, SCC, dopp kit and other doo-dads:

I also sometimes bring food in a lunch cooler for an all day trip or for a short business trip:

My laptop always goes into the rear backpack shoulder pocket
    Last edited by GrussGott; 03-12-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Forum Member
    London
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New appreciator of the WF here. I just bought one used and it came to me in pretty rough shape. I spent a few hours cleaning it up and I think I've got it back to acceptable condition (other than the odor on the interior halcyon I am currently trying to get rid of) and I am excited to use it on my next trip.

Question for you all though: how do you pack this thing? I know packing flat is the name of the game but I just can't seem to get my head around how you all can fit so much. I'm not sure if it's because I am using A30 Packing Cubes but I am befuddled. My biggest issue seems to be the loss of the two front zippered pockets once I have it packed out. If you could share some of your tips and some pictures of how you accomplish your pack of this great bag, I would greatly apprecitate it!
    Here's how I still pack. Adore the WF:

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ht=#post160121

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    The DLBP sacrifices a little space at the top, but makes a great packing cube, plus then you have a 2nd bag:

Thanks for your detailed response and pictures, this is exactly what I was looking for! I do have a WF sized PCBP I could use in lieu of your DLBP. I might just try that. Is it safe to say your preferred method of carry is by the backpack straps?

Edit: just found some WF packing cubes on eBay so I will give these a shot.
    Last edited by kemote; 03-13-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    S25 | GP | WF | YD | MCB

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @GrussGott , how do you like that Wildkin lunchbox? Do you put reusable ice packs in it or just use it to segregate food or ?
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your detailed response and pictures, this is exactly what I was looking for! I do have a WF sized PCBP I could use in lieu of your DLBP. I might just try that. Is it safe to say your preferred method of carry is by the backpack straps?
    For me I'm typically a 2-bag person which is why the WF is so great - that means usually an S25 as a backpack and the WF as a shoulder bag. Many times for personal travel the WF is my preferred day pack (see first post) so in that case, all BP straps.

Another trick I frequently use is only having one backpack strap attached, with the other one stored - this cuts down on the straps flying around, but also makes it easy to carry 2 backpacks: one normal, one on just one shoulder.

And then, another trick I've never use with the WF, but with other bags is the backpack piggy-back - if you have a smaller backpack, this could work with the WF due to the detachable backpack straps

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    @GrussGott , how do you like that Wildkin lunchbox? Do you put reusable ice packs in it or just use it to segregate food or ?
    Hey! Yeah, all of that. On business trips I try to eat fairly clean so I usually take some salmon sandwiches with me which I make and pre-freeze - just those alone will still be frozen after 6-8 hours. I've also used it for the layover lunch/dinner with ice packs which works great!

Overall I'm really happy with the wildkin, as it's got all the features I need (pockets for napkins, utensils, ice packs, etc) and it keeps things pretty cold. That said, if you only have a small ice pack things will be room temp after 4ish hours, or if you put in frozen and are going for longer than 12 hours things will somewhat defrost. For example I filled the space with frozen salmon sandwiches on the way to Europe once (~12 hours) and the outside sandwiches defrosted but were still plenty cold - which was fine because I ate them!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=GrussGott;189170]My go-to is either the DLBP for casual/business casual travel or the Eagle Creek Medium folder for business travel:

I do the EC Packing Folder as well when I travel on business...In addition I throw in the empty DLBC that I use once I reach my destination...
    Sometimes, I just take my WF along..It looks pretty small and compact when compared to several backpacks that I see people carry to work...cant still understand why they need to carry so much to commute from home to work...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the Western Flyer, too!!!! ---but with one exception: I truly dislike the top, single carry handle. I wish it had two handles like the Tristar!!!!

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The western flyer has been my go to travel bag for short trips and in flight personal item.

I sold my last one as I was doing much less travelling. But no more. Tomorrow should arrive a Navy/Wasabi western flyer.

So excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2