Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Western Flyer Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by darknova306 View Post
    I just did eleven days internationally with a Luminary 15 on my back and a Western Flyer (my favorite travel bag ever!) on my shoulder. My advice from that experience is to put the heavier bag on your back and carry the lighter one on your shoulder, especially if you'll be walking a lot with them during your trip. I'll be changing to using the WF as a backpack and getting a DLBC for my shoulder, most likely.
    Hey all - there've been a few threads lately trending to Western Flyer love, so I thought I'd start a thread - mods please appropriately liquidate this thread/post if it's a dup.

Why I think the WF is the unsung hero in the Bihn lineup:

(1.) Deceivingly big, but not too big.
    Somehow this bag can hold 3 suits, shoes, shirts, undies, ties, dopp kit, laptop no problem; and yet is also small enough to fit into even the most miserly overheads or under the seat.

(2.) 3 words: three. way. carry.
    What makes this bag so versatile is that you carry it 3-ways to fit any travel scenario; which also means you can pair it with another bag: an A45 on your back for max carry-on, an L15 if that's your EDC, or a Pilot for a super-traveler 2-bag setup.

(3.) Is it luggage, a daypack, EDC, or a briefcase? you decide.
    My favorite use of the WF is for personal travel because it so easily reconfigs for a super useful tourist day pack.

Here's an example of that: Having traveled to Seattle this week, I had some time for a quick run around pike's place which means something from Le Panier for sure, plus maybe some other stuff. Well why go to Le Panier and not get a tart? Birthday but what if you can't carry a bag - that tart is going to get squished in a backpack even if it's in a box! Scrunch Face Oh the marion-berry-tartanity!

But WAIT! I've got the WF as my daypack! Complex tourist carry problem solved. Cool

Western Flyer Appreciation Thread-m2e2se2-png
    Last edited by GrussGott; 02-14-2020 at 11:06 PM.

Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my Steel/Solar Western Flyer! It's my favorite travel bag for trips where I'm visiting family and want to pack a little more heavily.

• It's a backpack when I need it to be. Specifically, when I'm walking the mile or so to the airport shuttle pickup spot.
    • It's also a clamshell, so I can use it like a dresser drawer when I'm at my destination, vs. having to dig through a backpack.
    • I don't usually travel with shoes, but when I do, the shoe divider option is genius.
    • It's a great shape and size and holds a ton. Also I'm 5'0" and have a short torso, and it is not too long to be uncomfortable when worn as a backpack (not as comfortable as my S19 or S22, but what is?).
    • It fits effortlessly under the seat in front of me (visible in my Side Effect post here) -- very important if you're, say, too short to use the overhead compartments.Big Grin

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was surprised how much I immediately liked my Western Flyer! And I continue to like it just as much as I liked it the first time I used it. I had tried a Tri-Star and it just didn't work for my packing style, so I almost didn't try the WF since I expected to have the same problem with it. For some reason the WF fits my packing style just fine even though the TS didn't.

I like that my CPAP fits just right in one half of the front section, leaving the back section for clothes (and sometimes laptop) and the other half of the front for toiletries, etc. It's also very comfortable for me to carry--when I have it on in backpack mode it kind of slouches at the small of my back in a way that feels nice. (I don't know if ballistic WFs do the same, mine is Halcyon.)

Since the A30 and WF are so close in size I probably don't need to have both, but the A30's extra four liters make a psychological difference if nothing else: I generally use the WF for weekend trips, and I use the A30 if I want to challenge myself to pack extra light for a longer trip (when I would otherwise use an A45).
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Manhattan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Somehow this bag can hold 3 suits, shoes, shirts, undies, ties, dopp kit, laptop no problem; and yet is also small enough to fit into even the most miserly overheads or under the seat.
    Yep. Second this. Got my Western Flyer as a weekend travel/"second" bag, after realizing my A45 (which I do love) was a bit of overkill for either of those two functions.

(2.) 3 words: three. way. carry.
    What makes this bag so versatile is that you carry it 3-ways to fit any travel scenario; which also means you can pair it with another bag: an A45 on your back for max carry-on, an L15 if that's your EDC, or a Pilot for a super-traveler 2-bag setup.
    Ditto. Although I never use it as a backpack; either shoulder strap or handle.

And as far as pairing, after much experimentation with a "second bag" for my A45, I've finally found my perfect two-bag pair: the WF (in verde green) + S25 (in aubergine).

(3.) Is it luggage, a daypack, EDC, or a briefcase? you decide.
    My favorite use of the WF is for personal travel because it so easily reconfigs for a super useful tourist day pack.
    OK, this is where I'm going to disagree. As much as I love my WF and its slightly more diminutive dimensions from the TriStar (and certainly the Aeronauts), for me the WF is not a briefcase, nor is it practical for EDC; no matter how you carry it, it reads as a deflated suitcase.

For EDC flexibility, I use the multi-functional packing cube shoulder bags. And I use my Sidekick as its own packing cube; it slides perfectly into one of the partitioned-off sections.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from a week in Venice Italy with just my western flyer. Brilliantly practical in backpack mode for all that walking over bridges and somehow always room for just one more thing..... and it fit under the seat on the Airbus a320 both ways, with space for my feet. Just as well, as the flight was full, about 50% of people had their wheeled bags gate checked and the overhead lockers were still full.
    My first day there, I saw two people with very expensive looking large Rimowa type wheeled cases struggling over a bridge with lots of steps. One person lost control of their case and it scraped loudly all the way down the stone steps. Yikes.
    Feeling smug with my WF Western Flyer Appreciation Thread

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a few WF shots from a trip I just returned from:

The WF in the new Delta A220 overheads - fits fine on its side, but not briefcase style, tight fit getting in (b/w photo due to annoying purple lighting)

Western Flyer Appreciation Thread-39teev9-png

I love the water bottle pocket - every trip I do a grab and go of a water bottle. With the WF in briefcase mode, it's easy to quickly buy and fly:

The S25/WF pairing on the hotel room window ledge overlooking Lake Union (Seattle!)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a wonderful thread! I love the Western Flyer!! Carrying it with the Absolute Strap is a breeze regardless of weight.

The one thing that puzzled me for a while was how to utilize the two zippered pockets on the front. I've basically taken to putting a 3DOC in the shorter pocket, and another 3DOC (or Cubelet) in the taller pocket sort of sitting on top of the 3DOC in the lower pocket. It seems odd, but it's the best I've been able to do with how the space of each pocket eats into the other.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcy, are there any plans to use the new edgeless backpack straps on the WF?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    Darcy, are there any plans to use the new edgeless backpack straps on the WF?
    Not at this point: we want to wait and see if people choose the upcoming Trinity over the Western Flyer (or not).
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Not at this point: we want to wait and see if people choose the upcoming Trinity over the Western Flyer (or not).
    This sort of leads into a question I've had recently: is there an expectation that the Trinity might eventually replace the Tri-Star and Western Flyer and we may see those bags phased out? It looks like the Trinity sizes and functionality will significantly overlap those other bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intrigued about the Trinity...and may well go for it when it comes out...that said, the WF has been unparalleled till date. I own the following from TB: WF, the Tristar (that I bought on ebay), the Synik 30. I also own the Nomatic backpack, Travelpack, the Knackpack, several Tumis and multiple other bags over the years. I travel almost every other week and always on the lookout for the best one bag... the 'one ring that rules them all'.
    Something that has come the closest is the WF. Since I got the WF, I have always picked it from the lot for travel. I have since sold the Nomatic and the Knackpack. I have kept all the three TB bags. Tristar...for overseas trips....becos I like it in burnt orange and will want to comeback with trinkets.. ...Synik 30 for the spouse ,,who has lot more to carry..and the WF for all my needs. I am speaking from a business traveler's perspective. Like they say...your mileage may vary...
    I only hope the Trinity takes into consideration the great features that the WF has and builds on it. For the size ...it is unparalleled ...no bag that I know of comes close to it in utility..it packs a punch...if you like packing flat, you will never need another bag...doesn't matter how many days one needs to travel..

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TKS View Post
    For the size ...it is unparalleled ...no bag that I know of comes close to it in utility..it packs a punch...if you like packing flat, you will never need another bag...doesn't matter how many days one needs to travel..
    You've nailed how I use the WF too - it's perfect for frequent business travel and also makes an excellent personal travel bag! (especially because the DLBP fits perfectly as a packing cube)

I've moved the A45 to personal travel "large duty", for example if I'm carrying camera or snorkeling gear, need heavy coats & boots, etc. In those scenarios the WF moves to being my personal item.

As @NYCWriter said, the WF wouldn't be my top choice if I were a commuter (i.e., EDC), but it *is* my - recently validated! - top choice for a travel EDC as we do a lot grocery shopping on our city tours. The WF is both small enough to not be annoying when empty, but large enough to carry just about whatever you need safely, even when you have crushable things + cameras, coats, etc.

I've tried a lot bags and I can't think of any other bag that does this! It's also not a ridiculous looking briefcase, although I usually also bring a rolled up empty Pilot for business briefcase duty.

With that, I'm going to move to a 2-bag (two Western Flyers!) set up, one WF for luggage, one for a personal item (which will also be overflow for bringing things back!). Because I use the DLBP as a packing cube, if I need a smaller on-site beach or gym bag, the DLBP will be it!

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost 6 years now of daily EDC, and every trip I have taken in the interim (I'm going to estimate about 300 flight legs, and around 250k miles), both business and personal, from 1 night to 16-day multi-continent one-bag travel. It's an all-around winner in my book.

Winona, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took my WF on a 10-day work trip to Northern Spain this fall, and with the variable weather (had to pack for cold rain and warm sun) and TWO last-minute knitting projects, I thought it was stuffed full. Throughout the trip, we were given a ton of swag, and so even though I left thinking I had no room, I still somehow came back with even more items, and they all fit! I felt like Mary Poppins.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've said it before and I will say it again... the WF is the best bag in the travel lineup! Especially for us business travelers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast