Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halstead.nathan View Post
    Having an integrated laptop pocket is a game changer. I wouldn’t ever buy a travel bag without one, which is why I won’t get an Aeronaut.
    Ah this is so funny to me and where it must be really hard for companies to please the all the peoples, because I wouldn't want or need a dedicated laptop pocket in my luggage. I don't like built-in laptop pockets because I buy TB for life, and my laptops (and the sizes) have changed throughout the years. Each time I get a new laptop, I've had to get a new cache/case so I prefer this method vs something built in. I also don't like the added weight of padded pockets, nor do I like zippers near my laptop.

I've been eyeballing the Aeronaut for a long time, so if TB does add a padded laptop pocket to it, maybe they'll give us a heads up so I can pony up the money and quickly snap up an Aer sans-laptop-pocket before they're gone.

And a 4.1 lb piece of luggage is... wow! No way would I carry that. I found the Synik 22 too heavy. Plus it had that padded laptop compartment.... Big Grin

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    I've been eyeballing the Aeronaut for a long time, so if TB does add a padded laptop pocket to it, maybe they'll give us a heads up so I can pony up the money and quickly snap up an Aer sans-laptop-pocket before they're gone.
    I think you're probably safe there. The still-in-development Trinity line of bags will probably be the built-in laptop protection alternative to the Aeronaut, Tristar and Western Flyer. Sounds like it will be setup more like the latter two with flatter stacked compartments, but that seems to be the design team's preference for how to fit a laptop into a larger travel bag.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... I wouldn't want or need a dedicated laptop pocket in my luggage. I don't like built-in laptop pockets because I buy TB for life, and my laptops (and the sizes) have changed throughout the years. Each time I get a new laptop, I've had to get a new cache/case so I prefer this method vs something built in. I also don't like the added weight of padded pockets ....
    I'm totally with you here. I don't understand why padded sleeves are so popular. But I also don't care for TB's system of hanging a cache from webbing loops with gatekeepers. I now have a custom travel backpack made in England, and I had them include an *unpadded* sleeve.

I carry my laptop in a TB cache, and simply slide the cache into the sleeve. The unpadded sleeve adds little weight, and when I'm not carrying a laptop, it takes up no space. It can also be used for anything flat, like the papers I sometimes carry for an academic conference.
    Last edited by Buffalonian; 02-22-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it must be really hard for companies to please the all the peoples, because I wouldn't want or need a dedicated laptop pocket ... I've been eyeballing the Aeronaut for a long time, so if TB does add a padded laptop pocket to it, maybe they'll give us a heads up
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    I think ... The still-in-development Trinity line of bags will probably be the built-in laptop protection alternative to the Aeronaut, Tristar and Western Flyer.
    Well said by both! A few thoughts:

(1.) Backpack strap pockets, laptops, and the A30/45, WF/TS
    Totally agree with @Tonya - I don't want or need a dedicated laptop pocket ... that said, I USE THE BACKPACK POCKET (A45, WF) FOR MY LAPTOP!. And, while I have a cache for other uses (in the Pilot), I almost never use it in the backpack strap pocket because that pocket already has substantial outside padding and I'm the person carrying the bag.

I've been traveling this way for about 5 years and had all kinds of laptops "commando" (no cache) in the backstrap pockets and never had a problem (or concern) since the laptop is well suspended with ample room and padding on all sides.

One note: while there's OUTSIDE padding in the backpack strap pocket, i.e., protecting your laptop, there's no padding between the inside of your bag. This isn't an issue (for me) for two reasons: (a.) I've only ever had clothes in that section of any of my bags since it's the "bottom" of the bag, and (b.) if you're not using the straps they're plenty of padding.

(2.) The Trinity: the more complicated TB bags? "It's hard to please all the peoples..."
    I love @Autolycus's thoughts on the Trinity being the bags with dedicated laptop pockets and more complicated backpack strap arrangements. Here's an example: I think of the Synik 30 as "The more fussy complicated one-bag travel version of the S25 (for me)" or just, the bag that's not for me Wink For this reason, I sure hope TB doesn't get rid of the Synapse line!

I'm hoping The Trinity is to the A30/45-WF-TS what the SY30/22 is to the S25/19; that is, the more complicated (and expensive) travel-oriented versions of the OG TB iconic backpacks.

Quick product-nerd point: Garmin has many smart watches that look very similar, but they're actually different divisions of the company, fitness vs outdoors. I'd like to see that with TB bags: . E.g., WF is the medium streamlined travel carry, Trinity-medium is the full-featured travel carry ... S25 is streamlined backpack EDC carry, SY30 is the full-featured backpack EDC carry, etc

I totally understand why someone would, say, prefer the more complicated S30 vs the simpler S25; That said, for me, the SY30 just doesn't work because the S25 is more my grab-n-go bag. I don't want to mess with a bunch of different compartments for my core stuff, I like it all in one (bags are for stuff, laptop is stuff); and I don't want a bag that zips all the way open (or side zippers!) because that's how laptops fall out!! EEK! I can't tell you how many times in a business meeting I've quickly grabbed my fully-opened-S25-that-I-thought-was-fully-closed and the laptop has tipped out a bit EEK! (you know, the ole packing-up-while-talking-and-not-paying-attention)

Net-Net: I'd love TB to have two lines of bags:

(a.) Streamlined: Bags with dedicated pockets, removable straps, and other complications (SY22/30, Trinity) ... and

(b.) Full-Featured: Bags with just-enough-not-too-much (S19/25/BB, A30/45, WF/TS)
    Last edited by GrussGott; 02-22-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalonian View Post
    I also don't care for TB's system of hanging a cache from webbing loops with gatekeepers.
    Let's be honest - that gatekeeper thing seems way past its prime (if it ever worked?) and if the issue is a laptop falling out then, as you suggest, an unpadded zippered pocket is best. And, BTW, that's about the ONLY thing I'd change on the S25: make that inside elastic pocket zippered!

As for the gatekeeper thing, I'm curious if this works for anyone and where ... for me I'm pre-check so I don't have to take my laptop out usually and when I do (and/or in Europe/Asia) it has to go into a separate bin (and usually "HEY HEY HEY! no sleeve! NO SLEEVE!" Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)), so where does the gatekeeper solution work? (note: as stated above, this is why the A45/WF/TS backpack pocket is so great!! no cache required)

Like I said, I can see it if you just want a way of ensuring your laptop doesn't fall out, but then a cache pocket would be a way better solution there ... anyway, curious if it still works for anyone ...
    Last edited by GrussGott; 02-22-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at the risk of over-posting on this thread ... in Chase Reeves news:

Did AER copy the iconic Aeronaut ?-screen-shot-2020-02-22-2-46-51-pm-png

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Let's be honest - that gatekeeper thing seems way past its prime (if it ever worked?) and if the issue is a laptop falling out then, as you suggest, an unpadded zippered pocket is best. And, BTW, that's about the ONLY thing I'd change on the S25: make that inside elastic pocket zippered!

As for the gatekeeper thing, I'm curious if this works for anyone and where ... for me I'm pre-check so I don't have to take my laptop out usually and when I do (and/or in Europe/Asia) it has to go into a separate bin (and usually "HEY HEY HEY! no sleeve! NO SLEEVE!" Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)), so where does the gatekeeper solution work? (note: as stated above, this is why the A45/WF/TS backpack pocket is so great!! no cache required)

Like I said, I can see it if you just want a way of ensuring your laptop doesn't fall out, but then a cache pocket would be a way better solution there ... anyway, curious if it still works for anyone ...
    I agree with this--it seemed like a good feature when I originally bought it, and I enjoyed my Tumi EZPass (or whatever they called their checkpoint friendly laptop solution) back before I started traveling more and got precheck. But indeed, they don't like covers in international airports, and domestically, any frequent flyer who can already has precheck. Also, this ignores how hard it was to slide the cache in and out when you had anything in the bag.

But back to the main topic, I see the similarities to the Aeronaut, but at the end of the day, as much as I like mine, TB doesn't have a monpoly on duffels with U shaped top zippers and side pockets. I welcome the addition of more options to the market and the opportunity it provides to pull more people into the eco system and compare options across the category.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    I see the similarities to the Aeronaut ...TB doesn't have a monpoly on duffels with U shaped top zippers and side pockets. I welcome the addition of more options to the market and the opportunity it provides to pull more people into the eco system and compare options across the category.
    Apparently the bag is a collaboration with 9H, a Japanese capsule hotel / work space, and the main compartment opening is supposed to be evocative of their hotel capsules:

Did AER copy the iconic Aeronaut ?-aer_capsule_lifestyle_hero3-png

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Apparently the bag is a collaboration with 9H, a Japanese capsule hotel / work space, and the main compartment opening is supposed to be evocative of their hotel capsules:

Did AER copy the iconic Aeronaut ?-aer_capsule_lifestyle_hero3-png
    Interesting connection. I wouldn't have thought of 9 Hours as being for business travellers, although a number of them do have cafes now which could be work spaces. The photo above also doesn't reflect how capsule hotels work, in case anyone is thinking of staying in one. You don't take your luggage into the capsule. There is a locker room for storing luggage and you leave your shoes there also.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it resembles the A45 too much.... More of a direct copy of the Timbuk2 Wander Pack.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biaxid3nt View Post
    I don't think it resembles the A45 too much.... More of a direct copy of the Timbuk2 Wander Pack.
    I think you're right. The whole packing configuration with the top pocket, laptop compartment and big internal space is the same. The Wander Pack is slightly lighter too, although still too heavy for my liking.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is copy I think, Design in the States then made them in China.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the subject of "copying" or "imitating" designs ...

The Guide's Pack looks strikingly similar to the Wilderness Experience Klettersack from 1974, which in turn is based on still other designs:
    https://www.wildernessexperience.net/

Tom added some great details -- the internal frame; the mesh pockets on the underside of the lid; o-rings; Coyote cordura on the bottom instead of leather; the edgeless shoulder straps; and undoubtedly other things I don't know about. But the resemblance is unmistakable.

Does that make the Guide's Pack a "rip-off"? Not at all. In fact, the designers of the Klettersack are proud that their work has been an inspiration to others.

Backpack makers draw inspiration from each other all the time. And as long as no one's violating a patent, copyright, or trademark, it's a beautiful thing.
    Last edited by Buffalonian; 02-25-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My knee-jerk reaction was yes, it's a copy.

But the more I look at it the more I don't think so. It is similar, a U-duffel with side pockets, but that's where it ends. The Aeronaut is much more flexible in its design and the Aer is designed specifically for laptop/tech travelers who like backpack duffels. The end pockets are too narrow for things like shoes, and it's primarily made for backpack carry. I think it's certainly inspired by the Aeronaut, but they've taken the concept and really made it their own.

Aer actually makes a pretty good bag, but I don't get along with their compartment design/philosophy.

This bag just really whet my appetite for an Aeronaut 30 with Synik straps. That's all I ask!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalonian View Post
    The Guide's Pack is a *very* close imitation of the original Wilderness Experience Klettersack from 1974, which is now back in production after 45 years:
    https://www.wildernessexperience.net/
    The Guide’s Pack was intended from its inception to be an homage to bygone designs, updated with some modern materials (Texon instead of leather for example) and features (a light internal frame, pockets attaching with Annex clips). There’s a bit of the Klettersack in there, but even more so TNF’s KAK Sack (which predates the W.E. Klettersack by a couple of years) and some classic European rucksack designs. If you go back and read Gerry’s Lightweight Camping Equipment and How to Make It (which predates Wilderness Experience and The North Face), you’ll see many of the same themes. Canted bottom panels, detachable pockets, leather strap holders.... the Klettersack combined these features in what certainly became an iconic aesthetic, but Wilderness Experience didn’t invent the features, nor did we. So... who did invent them? Where did Gerry get them, or did he invent them? We can but conjecture.

We can only be flattered if people draw inspiration from what we do. And we can't know if they do because we aren't in their heads. And regarding the Aeronaut: at the end of the day, there are only so many ways you can slice and dice a 22" x 14" x 9" cube. Smilie

Below... an image from Gerry's Lightweight Camping Equipment (copyright 1959) showing plans for his "Echo Pack". It has a canted leather bottom, drawstring top, and leather strap holders on the side.

Did AER copy the iconic Aeronaut ?-gerrybook-gif
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast