Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did AER copy the iconic Aeronaut ?

Aer recently launched this https://www.aersf.com/capsule-pack-black and I am a little annoyed over the likeness to the Aeronaut.
    Attached Images Attached Images Did AER copy the iconic Aeronaut ?-aer21021_capsulepack_black_shoulder-jpg 

Forum Member
    France
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I saw this a few hours ago and my immediate impression was that it looks just like an aeronaut.
    They claim it’s inspired by the door of capsule rooms though ...
    Very clever choice of volumes. 35 and 40 Liters fill the gap between the two aeronauts.
    Last edited by theedge; 02-19-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    A30 Steel 1050 Ballistic/Iberian 200 Halcyon • A45 Black 1050 Ballistic/Island 200 Halcyon • DLBP Black 400 Halcyon/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon • DLBC Navy Cordura ? • SK Deep Blue 525 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon • GE SN22 Ursa 525 Ballistic/Coyote 210 Ballistic • HLT1 Coyote 210 Ballistic

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, yeah I saw that and had the exact same thought - it's definitely a ripoff ... well, as they say, imitation is sincerest form of flattery!

Uhhhh.... where have I seen that before ...

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-19-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superficially it does look like the Aeronaut, but it functions differently. It seems to me to be designed as a carry-on bag for a business traveller, hence the laptop compartment and top pocket with little gadget slots. It's also a very chonky 4.1 lbs. In my search for the perfect luggage which ended up with me buying the A30, I would have rejected the Aer capsule backpack.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one is 4.1lb! I read the news from a reddit group, and the responses were mostly negative.

Forum Member
    MO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love TB and I’ve also had some Aer products and while at a small glance it looks vaguely similar, it’s not too similar to the Aeronaut, and probably appeals to a different customer than does the TB bag. Having an integrated laptop pocket is a game changer. I wouldn’t ever buy a travel bag without one, which is why I won’t get an Aeronaut. The Aer product is not a revolutionary one, but an evolutionary one and I suspect some people at TB had already been thinking of adding the dedicated laptop pocket to an Aeronaut before this bag. Maybe this will hasten the release of a new product from TB. Competition has brought along a lot of innovation in the bag world in the last 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's unapologetically Aeronautesque. I really do like some of the things they've done with it though. I'd be all over the extra organization, quick-access pocket, and the expandable bottle pocket; but the material choice/weight is where they killed the bag. It's almost twice the weight of a halcyon Aeronaut! Those extra two pounds make a big difference.

Forum Member
    MO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slightlysaltybagman View Post
    It's unapologetically Aeronautesque. I really do like some of the things they've done with it though. I'd be all over the extra organization, quick-access pocket, and the expandable bottle pocket; but the material choice/weight is where they killed the bag. It's almost twice the weight of a halcyon Aeronaut! Those extra two pounds make a big difference.
    I’m guessing most of the extra weight is in building a padded laptop pouch and the material choice is a relatively small difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halstead.nathan View Post
    Having an integrated laptop pocket is a game changer. I wouldn’t ever buy a travel bag without one, which is why I won’t get an Aeronaut.
    I recently bought a used Aeronaut 30. Someone may say it would never work and don't try it at home. The padded construction of the shoulder straps zippered compartment is not that different to what I think the laptop compartments of the Luminary (had one) or what I perceive the Synik's to be (not seen one and it is "suspended" from bottom).

In my A30, the straps pocket fits a 9 inch clipboard with 1 inch to spare. The padding is at the exterior of the bag, then the straps pocket, then a halcyon fabric separating from the main compartment. I did not look at the specs of the Luminary or Synik for the padding type or thickness, but I feel it is close to the laptop compartment of the Luminary I had. The A45 is about 2 inches wider and I would guess the straps pocket is equally wider on A45.

I am planning to travel using my A30 with my Surface 3 in a hard case in that pocket with strap to make getting through TSA easier. If I like that, I may travel further that way or just the laptop between 2 packing cubes in main compartment TBD.

Either way I am of the opinion to make the shoulder straps detachable in the Aeronauts, make minor changes to make straps pocket a potential laptop compartment, and consider a secret inside zippered pocket for important items. Aeronauts had minor refreshs every 2-3 years and it is overdue in the cycle for another.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    consider a secret inside zippered pocket for important items. .
    When I took my A30 to Ecuador a couple years ago, I put a ziplock containing some cash, copies of my passport/ID, itin, etc. in the zippered area where the foam pad is... If you unzip the backpack strap area and look inside, there is an additional zip that allows the removal of the foam (tho I have never done that) - I tucked the ziplock in there.
    Does no good if the bag is stolen, but useful for thwarting any casual bag search.

FWIW, I've never had anything stolen on any trip I've been on domestically or internationally... I've only ever been short changed a couple times.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

around 53°
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks similar but too much “forced” organization in my opinion. I love my A45 because it’s customizable for my needs. I can use the pockets as I wish.

I was once turned off by a bag lacking organization but now I like having little pouches instead to add to my bags based on what my needs are for the day or activity.

Using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    When I took my A30 to Ecuador a couple years ago, I put a ziplock containing some cash, copies of my passport/ID, itin, etc. in the zippered area where the foam pad is... If you unzip the backpack strap area and look inside, there is an additional zip that allows the removal of the foam
    The version A30 I have is 2015-ish. (zippers outward, no lockable zippers, no extra handle to move bag around or top grab handle by the backpack straps). I looked throughout the pocket and don't see any other zipper. I did discover some original halcyon fabric under the flap where the backpack straps attach even thought the bag itself has wasabi halcyon interior. Detail, details.

Was this a later add to Aeronauts? Any pictures available of the secret zipper or do I need to buy the new version to learn the secret? Searches were unhelpful.

A plan of mine was to use the backpack strap pocket and tape a bag to the bottom of the pocket.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my A30, the straps pocket fits a 9 inch clipboard with 1 inch to spare. The padding is at the exterior of the bag, then the straps pocket, then a halcyon fabric separating from the main compartment. I did not look at the specs of the Luminary or Synik for the padding type or thickness, but I feel it is close to the laptop compartment of the Luminary I had. The A45 is about 2 inches wider and I would guess the straps pocket is equally wider on A45.

I am planning to travel using my A30 with my Surface 3 in a hard case in that pocket with strap
    Yeah, I took out the foam from the back of my a30, and I carry my surface pro 4 in a padded case in the backpack strap compartment. Works great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was this a later add to Aeronauts? Any pictures available of the secret zipper or do I need to buy the new version to learn the secret? Searches were unhelpful.

A plan of mine was to use the backpack strap pocket and tape a bag to the bottom of the pocket.
    I don't know when the zipper may have been added to allow removal of the foam - perhaps @moriond knows

Here's a pic showing the black zipper in the back panel that allows removal of the foam - so note that it's the panel furthest outside, not the side that has the backpack straps sewn in at the top

Did AER copy the iconic Aeronaut ?-img_20200219_180341-jpeg
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing the Trinity will be the bag for people that like dedicated pockets for laptops (like the Synik for backpacks)

for me, as a person that carries 2 laptops, a tablet, and 3 phones, it's never been an issue. For the A45 & WF I use the backpack strap pocket for my frequently accessed laptop, putting the other one in the main section of the bag, works great! I'm more of a "bag is for stuff, laptops are stuff" approach, but I also understand why people love dedicated pockets.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast