Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edgeless strapped Synapse 25 issue

Been playing with the edgeless strap variant of the S25 and have found an interesting issue. The new straps are wider than the original straps yet are attached at the same point. This makes the distance between the straps smaller and as a result the straps ride up my shoulders closer to my neck. This ends up being less comfortable, has Tom Bihn addressed this and is it a known issue or could it be a mistake?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that the Sy22 straps were MUCH more comfortable than the S19 edgeless, and thought it was just because of the spacing (the Sy being wider). Visually it looked like the S19 edgeless matched the distance to my old S19, but you're right, the edgeless rubbed my neck. I just assumed it was the thickness of the padding and that it might eventually compress? Will have to investigate more when I get home!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if any other people were having these issues. I just returned a beautiful new S19 with edgeless straps -- for me, the straps didn't lie flat and kind of jabbed in the back at my shoulder blades. I couldn't figure out why; maybe the problem would have settled with time, but I didn't dare bet on it. The older bound straps work perfectly for me.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onebag View Post
    Been playing with the edgeless strap variant of the S25 and have found an interesting issue. The new straps are wider than the original straps yet are attached at the same point. This makes the distance between the straps smaller and as a result the straps ride up my shoulders closer to my neck. This ends up being less comfortable, has Tom Bihn addressed this and is it a known issue or could it be a mistake?
    We looked into this and we did make a mistake in the spacing of the Edgeless Straps on the Synapse 19 and Synapse 25. So, thank you (and @earth5 and @azilet ) for reporting this to us, and we're very sorry about this (and rather mortified). We'll email everyone who ordered a Synapse 19/Synapse 25 with Edgeless Straps and make arrangements to make it right for anyone who doesn't like this spacing (this "mistake" spacing might actually work better for some people.)
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We looked into this and we did make a mistake in the spacing of the Edgeless Straps on the Synapse 19 and Synapse 25. So, thank you (and @earth5 and @azilet ) for reporting this to us, and we're very sorry about this (and rather mortified). We'll email everyone who ordered a Synapse 19/Synapse 25 with Edgeless Straps and make arrangements to make it right for anyone who doesn't like this spacing (this "mistake" spacing might actually work better for some people.)
    Thank you @Darcy for this information! (I was worried, and embarrassed, about being an unlikely princess with a pea.)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, I kind of like the idea of the narrower spacing... If you've already made a couple of the GE's that I pre-ordered, I could save you some time! Smilie

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slightlysaltybagman View Post
    Oh man, I kind of like the idea of the narrower spacing... If you've already made a couple of the GE's that I pre-ordered, I could save you some time! Smilie
    I'd like the wider spacing and don't mind waiting so if "round 2" volunteers would help, I'm in!

The far west
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azilet View Post
    Thank you @Darcy for this information! (I was worried, and embarrassed, about being an unlikely princess with a pea.)
    I get that worry (I might feel the same way) and I'm glad you said something! So: please keep doing that. Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by slightlysaltybagman View Post
    Thankfully, the Guide's Edition Synapse 25s are at a point in the process of being made that means they won't have this issue. Sorry! I do think most people prefer the wider spacing... we did a lot of testing with the original placement/spacing of the Edgeless straps and somehow we came up with a strap and spacing that's about as close to universally comfortable as we think we could reasonably get. We'll see though when we send out emails on Monday to everyone who ordered a Synapse 19/Synapse 25 with the Edgeless Straps... it'll be interesting for us to learn if/how many people would prefer to keep the bags as they have them.

And thank you @GrussGott and everyone else for your understanding and graciousness. We know exactly what went wrong here so we can prevent it from ever happening again. At the same time, it's tough to make a mistake like this just knowing it can be, at the very least, a hassle for folks.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that worry (I might feel the same way) and I'm glad you said something! So: please keep doing that. Smilie

Thankfully, the Guide's Edition Synapse 25s are at a point in the process of being made that means they won't have this issue. Sorry! I do think most people prefer the wider spacing... we did a lot of testing with the original placement/spacing of the Edgeless straps and somehow we came up with a strap and spacing that's about as close to universally comfortable as we think we could reasonably get. We'll see though when we send out emails on Monday to everyone who ordered a Synapse 19/Synapse 25 with the Edgeless Straps... it'll be interesting for us to learn if/how many people would prefer to keep the bags as they have them.

And thank you @GrussGott and everyone else for your understanding and graciousness. We know exactly what went wrong here so we can prevent it from ever happening again. At the same time, it's tough to make a mistake like this just knowing it can be, at the very least, a hassle for folks.
    Thank you Darcy and all at TB.....again your care and consideration for your customers is amazing and very special. Greatly appreciated! Smilie

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent the weekend wondering whether my beautiful Wilderness S19 that arrived this morning would have to cross the country again to have this issue fixed. I'm happy to say that the narrower spacing of the straps does not bother me. In fact, I like it! I probably wouldn't have noticed the spacing had it not been pointed out to me.

I really appreciate the customer service option available had this been an issue for me.
    Spring

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Darcy if I haven't gotten an email, should I wait or contact CS? I don't want to mess up the process as I'm sure it can easily become a logistical pain

The far west
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earth5 View Post
    @Darcy if I haven't gotten an email, should I wait or contact CS? I don't want to mess up the process as I'm sure it can easily become a logistical pain
    Definitely emailus@tombihn.com -- I'll also look into why you didn't receive the email!

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We looked into this and we did make a mistake in the spacing of the Edgeless Straps... and we're very sorry about this (and rather mortified).
    Meh who doesn't make mistakes? I think I made a good dozen or so today, so please don't be mortified. Wink I purchased the new S25 with the edgeless straps and I noticed that it wasn't as comfortable as my SN22, but with a couple of days of use, so far they've settled nicely. I'm debating about whether to even bother with the fix because I'd dearly miss my bag. I just returned tonight from a 5 day car trip across 4 states and only took my S25. It performed perfectly and is now my new BFF. However, I'm a 5' 5" female with a narrow frame. I do think someone with a linebacker necked size may struggle. Thanks for the offer, Darcy & the TB Crew, and the kind email message. But again, it's just a detail. You all are awesome!

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xyppy View Post
    I spent the weekend wondering whether my beautiful Wilderness S19 that arrived this morning would have to cross the country again to have this issue fixed. I'm happy to say that the narrower spacing of the straps does not bother me. In fact, I like it! I probably wouldn't have noticed the spacing had it not been pointed out to me.
    Haha agree! I'm not sure I would have noticed if TB hadn't sent the email, but how very courteous that they did. I'm also debating because I love my new pack, and not sure 1/4" would be worth the travel time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has this issue been fixed yet? Is it safe to order an Edgeless strapped s19 now? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast