Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoulder strap fit

Hello all, new guy here. Been looking over these bags for a few months and finally decided to pull the trigger on a Synapse 19. It's a beautiful bag but then I put it on with a little bit of weight. it was probably the most uncomfortable backpack I have ever tried. The straps I believe are too close together for my body type. 5'9" 175 ish. The angle from where the straps are sewn to the bag to where they lie on my shoulders make the straps not lie flat but rather angle outwards, which causes all the pressure to be put onto just an edge of the straps. The sternum strap helped but I don't want to have to wear it every time. I was pretty disappointed and going to return it but I still really like the build quality and style.

My question is, does the Synik 22 have this issue? Are the straps sewn further apart? Anyone who had this issue with the S19 but doesn't with the 22? I even compared the S19 to my kid's backpack and her straps were further apart than the Synapse. Do I need to move up to a larger size like the synapse 25 or synik30? I would prefer the 22 as I don't like large backpacks. Also I would say that my shoulders are somewhat broad and slope downwards.

thanks all!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you buy one of the S19s with the edgeless straps? If so, this might be the issue - https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...-25-issue.html.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No just the regular straps.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet then is probably to email customer service with some pictures and ask for their advice...
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @Heboric ,

Welcome to the forums. If I understand your post, this is an issue with the spacing of the backpack straps on a new, recently purchased Synapse 19? If so, then I agree with @jessmakes , that you should get in touch with Customer Support.This kind of complaint is unusual enough that they’ll want to track whether there was a fabrication error.

HTH

moriond

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is an issue with the bag construction but rather the design. Just an unfortunate fit for my body type. Was wondering if I would have the same issue with a Synik 22 before I spend another $300 to just try it.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heboric View Post
    I don't think there is an issue with the bag construction but rather the design. Just an unfortunate fit for my body type. Was wondering if I would have the same issue with a Synik 22 before I spend another $300 to just try it.
    Welcome to the Forums @Heboric

Are you in the US? If you are, it's not too difficult or costly to order bags to test pack and return them (in a timely fashion) if they don't work out...just be sure to follow the FAQ
    https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq38
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heboric View Post
    That could be the case, as it's impossible to design a pack/straps that'll fit every body ideally. That said, this is unusual feedback, and we'd love the chance to help troubleshoot, esp. so we can get you as close to an answer as we can on the S22. Feel free to emailus@tombihn.com or live chat anytime 6:30am - 3:00pm.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.