Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luminary 15 vs DLBP for EDC - my views

I know there have been many threads about this and this isn't a question more of a statement. But there are a lot of excellent excellent reviews on the Luminary 15 and it's differences with the DLBP. I just got the Luminary 15 yesterday and for an EDC it is EXCELLENT. I didn't realise this even though I did read it many times over. i also read why it is so good - the organisation helps. You have a spot for keys, phone, wallet, little things like pens etc on the sides. you have a structured way of placing a water bottle or cup. It's well thought out. And therefore works great for everyday. I didn't get this till I received mine yesterday. It really is wonderful

I have to carry my laptop home everyday now because of the coronavirus (am in the UK) in case I have to work from home. The back pocket is amazing for this.

It fits enough for everyday. It looks great. All in all, it is a better EDC bag than the DLBP. Today I've carried my laptop, big bose headphones, zip top bag (small)a book, and gym clothes and no problem. It fits and feels great. Somehow, even though the DLBP has more volume, it wouldn't have carried it so comfortably.

Some excellent reviews already pointed this out. I think they all have done so very well, particlarly this one by bartleby: https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...-backpack.html

But I didn't UNDERSTAND it till I tried. For EDC, the Luminary 15 is wonderful.

I don't know if this is helpful at all - in fact I may just be repeating what others said but in case anyone asks "which is better for EDC" this is my view.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great! I love when this bag gets some love!! I've been using mine (black/island) for EDC since September and it's been a wonderful little bag. I love how sleek and compact it is while still holding a lot of stuff.

And the shoulder straps. Love those shoulder straps!! It carries effortlessly.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, love my L15! The shoulder straps are extremely comfortable. I had been using mine as an EDC since I received it in December. I am sure that I will rotate between it and my new S19 with the boundless straps. I admit that when the L15 was announced, I immediately ordered another DLBP. But then I decided to give the L15 a chance because I was getting tired of the straps on the DLBP falling off of my shoulders. Don't get me wrong, I like my 2 DLBPs. But the L15 is definitely a nicer backpack. If one was made in Wilderness, I'd snap it up really quickly as long as the interior color wasn't coyote.
    Spring

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish that some additional colors would be in stock-have been eyeing one for a little while now.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree- the straps are great. I also was reluctant on the Luminary for some time. i thought the DLBP would be all I needed. The DLBP is great but for everyday, the Luminary works better. It's still sleek, it looks good, you don't go knocking people around in public transport - it's great!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have really been enjoying the L15 as an EDC to and from work. I was previously using an S25 but it started to feel too under-packed after I downsized to a smaller laptop. It took me a while to realize that the L15 had just enough space and organization while still having a perfect spot for my water bottle just like the S25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the L12, but the straps didnít fit me at all. I thought about giving the L15 a try, but the new color combinations are not my thing. I would have liked Ursa, but not with Island. Thereís always Aubergine/Cloud of course... But I do like my DLBP.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish a 15Ē MacBook Pro would fit in the L15, then I would definitely order one. Sometimes my underpacked S25 is too floppy, as mentioned above.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I too have really been enjoying the L15 as an EDC to and from work. I was previously using an S25 but it started to feel too under-packed after I downsized to a smaller laptop. It took me a while to realize that the L15 had just enough space and organization while still having a perfect spot for my water bottle just like the S25.

I am going to get one as soon as thereís one in stock in my color!
    I have an S25 work bag that I have been organizing with pouches and straps and minimizing/intentionalizing (wth), so much so that the big part is mostly empty! I wish it came in different colors, but thanks for the posts... Iím sure I will get one!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. Can someone please tell me?:
    The L15 water bottle pocket - is it anchored on the bottom? Or does it flop to the side/completely out of the way when unzipped from back wall?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Blisscosity , when you unzip the water bottle pocket of the L15 it moves completely out of the way. The material is very light and it is rather a divider. But it works very well when you need it.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    Hi @Blisscosity , when you unzip the water bottle pocket of the L15 it moves completely out of the way. The material is very light and it is rather a divider. But it works very well when you need it.
    Aloha, Bartleby, Mahalo for the information!

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an L15 for an in-office bag. Before C-19 and eventually after, I use the L15 to haul my laptop, pens, work phone, water, and journal to meetings. I used to carry everything in my hands but then decided to go for convenience. For commuting I use an S22 most of the time.

Yeah, I know it might sound weird to have a commute bag and an in-office bag but my use cases are a little different and the do dads I carry are a little different. It was easier to have 2 bags rather than carry one.

And I kinda of wanted an L15 anyway.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.