Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Portlandia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 45 vs. Yeoman duffle

I know most of you think of the Aeronaut 45 as the perfect travel bag.

I purchased one a while back and each time I go to use it, I end up unpacking it and using something else instead. In theory, it should be perfect, yet it always seems just a little small for me.... This is mostly a "shoe" issue.

I am considering selling it and purchasing one of the Yeoman duffles instead. I am drawn to the medium because it seems like the best size, but know it is actually a bit smaller than the Aeronaut 45 I own now. The large is so much bigger and worry it will end up being too big.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with both. Thanks in advance!

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BagHabit View Post
    each time I go to use it, I end up unpacking it and using something else instead. In theory, it should be perfect, yet it always seems just a little small for me....
    I had this exact same problem, and bizarrely the Western Flyer was the bag I turned to even though it's way smaller!

So that brings up the first question, which is, what is your packing style? Roll, bundle, or fold? Packing cubes or not? Flat or stack?

What I ended up discovering is that I'm a flat packer and I need packing cubes; which, when I was first using the A45, I thought was ridiculous - just start folding and packing, then cinch it all down. Plus I also had the shoe problem; I'm a dude so I don't have the high heels problem, but I do like a range of full size shoes when I pleasure travel.

Anyway, what i ended up discovering in turning to the WF, was that it enforced a flat packing cube style of packing; I typically use a DLBP in the rear section as my packing cube (which I was in denial about at the time), and then one half of the front section can fit 2-3 pairs of shoes, leaving a whole other section still open. It was amazing that I could fit everything I wanted into the WF with room left over, but in the A45 it was overflowing ... until I got packing cubes.

Then I figured out that, for example, the A45's outside end pockets were great for a pair of flip flops or collapsible shoes like OluKais, one inside end pocket can be used like the WFs so I could get 1-2 pairs of shoes in there, and the main compartment is taller than the WF so if I changed up how I packed in cubes I could get both more clothes than the WF and still have plenty of room for another pair or 2 of shoes, leaving the other end pocket still empty for dobb kitt and other stuff (I use the shoulder strap pocket for a laptop).

Anyway, not sure if any of this helps, but my learning was to use cubes and create designated sections of the bag like the WF has built-in; that's what creates the Tardis effect allowing the A45 to seem way larger than it is.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 03-07-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both an A45 and the large Yeoman. If you want to carry the bag on a plane the large yeoman is too big so considering the medium like you mentioned would be a good idea. Personally I would miss the lack of organization of the A45 if i tried to go with just the duffel instead. Make sure you play around with the interior zippers on the A45. I usually end up with one zip and one unzipped. Unzipping both gives you a lot of space in the main compartment and probably gives you something close to the feel of the medium yeoman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you re the shoe problem. I havenít cracked that yet on my A45. If Iím taking workout clothes and my ďdress clothesĒ it just doesnít work the way I want it to. Itís great (took it to England for a week) if I donít need multiple shoes, but when I need an extra pair, I get stuck.

That said, Iíve only traveled with it twice, so Iíve got some learning to do with it.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in a similar situation thinking about a Yeoman vs Aeronauts. Not a cost issue (I have all sizes of yeoman and an Aeronaut 30), moreso from a simplicity standpoint with a added security standpoint of a single zipper. My opinion is the Yeoman lacks a solution for equalizing all the features of the Aeronauts is the ability to side carry (so the bag is closer to your body while carried).

The yeoman constructed of a single layer of 1050d fabric gives it less structure to stand up by itself. It can and does stand open while empty, but not the degree of the Aeronaut 1050d ballistic I have. I feel the system I may go to in place of buying an A45 is a Medium Yeoman with 2 A45 end packing cubes (packed full for structure benefit) to replace the end pockets and then they form the open center compartment. That center compartment should also use a packed Large A45 packing cube for structure. On top of that large cube, I think a second full of half cube could be used or use it for loose packing. I can not stress enough in test packing, TB packing cubes will be essential to give the yeomans structure and perfectly sized to achieve ending dimensions. Lacking fully packed cubes, the yeomans "melt" into oval-ended, squishy bags that will not conform to airline carry on dimensions with squeezing into the sizers and also they may become lumpy messes to push into crowded overhead compartments.

So a medium yeoman, end cubes, 2 large cubes are 66% cost of an Aeronaut 45. Pluses=flexible, lighter, cheaper Negatives- lack ideal strap attachment points and lack slim end pockets(though I found when end pockets filled with TLSS or end cube, they become virtually useless)

FYI the mini yeoman fits CQPC's for the ends, the small fits PCSB's as end cubes, the medium used A45 end cubes, and the large used retired yeoman packing cubes, packed Large Organizer Pouches, maybe a Pilot, DLBC is slightly small, or Large A45 packing cube upright for ends

So my wish is for TB to make strap attachment points to allow the closer body carry like the Aeronaut and some type of handle loop to allow top carry like the aeronauts. Perhaps make a "Basic Economy" Aeronaut lineup with these slight changes.

Forum Member
    Portlandia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    I had this exact same problem, and bizarrely the Western Flyer was the bag I turned to even though it's way smaller!

So that brings up the first question, which is, what is your packing style? Roll, bundle, or fold? Packing cubes or not? Flat or stack?

What I ended up discovering is that I'm a flat packer and I need packing cubes; which, when I was first using the A45, I thought was ridiculous - just start folding and packing, then cinch it all down. Plus I also had the shoe problem; I'm a dude so I don't have the high heels problem, but I do like a range of full size shoes when I pleasure travel.

Anyway, what i ended up discovering in turning to the WF, was that it enforced a flat packing cube style of packing; I typically use a DLBP in the rear section as my packing cube (which I was in denial about at the time), and then one half of the front section can fit 2-3 pairs of shoes, leaving a whole other section still open. It was amazing that I could fit everything I wanted into the WF with room left over, but in the A45 it was overflowing ... until I got packing cubes.

Then I figured out that, for example, the A45's outside end pockets were great for a pair of flip flops or collapsible shoes like OluKais, one inside end pocket can be used like the WFs so I could get 1-2 pairs of shoes in there, and the main compartment is taller than the WF so if I changed up how I packed in cubes I could get both more clothes than the WF and still have plenty of room for another pair or 2 of shoes, leaving the other end pocket still empty for dobb kitt and other stuff (I use the shoulder strap pocket for a laptop).

Anyway, not sure if any of this helps, but my learning was to use cubes and create designated sections of the bag like the WF has built-in; that's what creates the Tardis effect allowing the A45 to seem way larger than it is.
    Thanks for the feedback. I had not really considered the WF (I do not know why...).

I am a guy as well. Lets say I am going to a wedding. I need some dressy shoes, my workout shoes, slippers/flip flops, normal every day shoes.. You get the idea. Its absurd really how many shoes someone needs. And they take up so much room.

In terms of my packing style (other than always overpacking), I would say I have settled on rolling in cubes. I am not sure how effective it is, but that is what I have been doing.

Maybe I have to take a second look at the WF. Thanks again!

Forum Member
    Portlandia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I have both an A45 and the large Yeoman. If you want to carry the bag on a plane the large yeoman is too big so considering the medium like you mentioned would be a good idea. Personally I would miss the lack of organization of the A45 if i tried to go with just the duffel instead. Make sure you play around with the interior zippers on the A45. I usually end up with one zip and one unzipped. Unzipping both gives you a lot of space in the main compartment and probably gives you something close to the feel of the medium yeoman.

Yes, I had not thought about unzipping the side sections. I probably need to try that.. Thanks!