Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Share
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ryan airlines personal item

    I know this has been discussed (and I believe there's a google spreadsheet somewhere), but any idea if the Synik 22 will pass on Ryan Air? The stated dimensions for Ryanair carry-on are 40 cm x 25 cm x 20 cm and the Synik is 41 cm x 29 cm x ~20 cm (not stuffed)

    We are hoping that the coronavirus will be under control for a fall trip...

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Share
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So take this with a grain of sand, because I've never flown Ryanair nor do I have a Synik 22, but you might be okay provided that you don't stuff it completely full. If you do have to put it in the sizer (which I believe for Ryanair is actually a little bigger than their carry-on dimensions to give people a little wiggle room), you should be able to squish it so that it fits.

  3. #3
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Share
    Germany
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve used my DLBP as a personal item on Ryanair flights quite a few times. Itís also too wide, same as the Synik. Iíve never had a problem. And itís been ages since I had to put any bag of mine in a sizer. In my experience, if it looks small and lightweight and fits under the seat in front of you itís going to be fine. Iíve also been flying with my RB36 and thatís technically too big too if itís stuffed. I was never checked, unlike all those people with too big and heavy looking rolling suitcases.

  4. #4
    Forum Member melminimalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Share
    Alabama
    Posts
    577
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve taken the synapse 25 as a personal item a bunch of times, no problem, fits under the seat and in the personal item sized sizer



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

  5. #5
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Share
    Germany
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    I’ve taken the synapse 25 as a personal item a bunch of times, no problem, fits under the seat and in the personal item sized sizer



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The size of a Personal Item on American Airlines is a lot bigger than on Ryanair (45x35x20 vs. 40x20x25).

  6. #6
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Share
    Germany
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to add that I usually pay for priority because with Ryanair it’s the only way you can take a second bigger bag into the cabin with you. That might be one of the reasons why I wasn’t checked for a while, I’m not sure.

  7. #7
    Forum Member GrussGott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Share
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    485
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Just wanted to add that I usually pay for priority because with Ryanair it’s the only way you can take a second bigger bag into the cabin with you. That might be one of the reasons why I wasn’t checked for a while, I’m not sure.
    Yeah, we usually do this for all intra-europe flights both due to the luggage allowance and also because of the lesser confusion for us who aren't used to the process and/or don't speak the primary language. We find it's WAY higher value in Europe than the US, where it's both more expensive and has fewer benefits (for us).

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Share
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Iíve used my DLBP as a personal item on Ryanair flights quite a few times. Itís also too wide, same as the Synik. Iíve never had a problem. And itís been ages since I had to put any bag of mine in a sizer. In my experience, if it looks small and lightweight and fits under the seat in front of you itís going to be fine. Iíve also been flying with my RB36 and thatís technically too big too if itís stuffed. I was never checked, unlike all those people with too big and heavy looking rolling suitcases.
    I don't have the Synik 22 but just wanted to corroborate this Smilie

    I think you should be fine with the Synik as a personal item, provided you keep to that ~20cm depth. I flew with Ryanair with the DLBP as my (very full) one bag in February and they had no problem with it even though the flight was quite busy. I tried the DLBP in the Ryanair sizer just to be sure and it fit even though the DLBP width is definitely at least 30cm, so I think it is true that the sizer is a little bigger than the dimensions they give online.

    My friend brought a non-TB backpack as her personal item which was at least another 5cm wider and 5cm deeper than the DLBP (although it was a bit shorter) and they didn't ask her to check it in the sizer or to check her carry-on suitcase either. Hope that's useful!

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •