Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1050 vs 525 ballistic tri-star

Hello all, I was thinking if getting the tri-star in 525 nebulous gray w/ island halcyon. What are your thoughts between the two fabrics? I know 525 is supposed to be a little lighter but don't want to miss out on the 1050 if they will be discontinuing it. Idk what are your thoughts? I also thought of burnt orange in 1050 but is it super bright in person? Thanks

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @jkonthank1

The 1050 and 525 ballistics have a lot of similarities. If you haven't had a chance to read the material glossary, check it out:
    https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials

There's a perceived colour difference because of how the weaves reflect light, a bit of weight difference, etc.
    If you're in the US, it's relatively easy to order more than one bag, test pack it responsibly (see the FAQ below) and return the one you don't want.
    You can also ask for free fabric swatches by contacting the fine folks in Customer Service.
    Darcy had previously mentioned that black 1050d would probably stick around as well as possibly others so it's still a bit up in the air, but you can also ask @Darcy for the latest.

I personally lean to the lighter fabrics due to weight and overall suppleness/flexibility, though the heavier fabrics do relax over time. The only bag I still have in 1050d is my Aeronaut 45... because I like the Steel colour Smilie and have Nebulous in other smaller bags.

https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq38

HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1050 vs 525 ballistic tri-star

Iíve found that in my experience the 525 shows scuffs and scratches much more readily than the 1050. Iíve just gone for a western flyer in 1050 for that reason.

On the positive side of 525 I prefer the colours as they are more Ďsolidí to my eye. And the fabric is slightly lighter weight.

But durability and overall look/condition of the fabric in a travel bag is more important to me so 1050 every time in larger travel bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Bangalore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Pilot in 1050 Grey and the Synapse Guide 25 in the 525 Coyote. I love them both. One feels solid, the other feels supple and solid. Frankly you wouldn't go wrong with either even in terms of durability. The 1050 is slightly more grainier while the 525 is smoother. Since you will mostly be hand carrying the Tristar it should still be okay from a durability perspective. TB bags are engineered to go a long time.
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut, TB packing cubes and accessories.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Everyone Thank you so much for your opinions it really helped. I think I am going with steel 1050 and island halcyon . Stay Healthy everyone!!
    Best,
    Kevin

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Iíve found that in my experience the 525 shows scuffs and scratches much more readily than the 1050. Iíve just gone for a western flyer in 1050 for that reason.

On the positive side of 525 I prefer the colours as they are more Ďsolidí to my eye. And the fabric is slightly lighter weight.

But durability and overall look/condition of the fabric in a travel bag is more important to me so 1050 every time in larger travel bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am kinda of leaning towards the same reason. I have a Synik 22 which I adore but it does show scuffs much quicker. I have it in 525 deep blue. Plus God forbid if for some reason the airlines m as ke you check you bag lol. I am just going to exchange my 5252 for 1050.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkonthank1 View Post
    I am kinda of leaning towards the same reason. I have a Synik 22 which I adore but it does show scuffs much quicker. I have it in 525 deep blue. Plus God forbid if for some reason the airlines m as ke you check you bag lol. I am just going to exchange my 5252 for 1050.

I bought a used synapse 25 in Navy 525 ballistic and it does have quite a few scratch/scuff marks. Itís an awesome colour and no real damage, but doesnít look as spotless as other fabrics.

I was going to buy a Western Flyer in 525 Navy but went for it in 1050 instead. And I decided to get a Navy Tristar in 1050 before they change over fully to 525 also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I bought a used synapse 25 in Navy 525 ballistic and it does have quite a few scratch/scuff marks. Itís an awesome colour and no real damage, but doesnít look as spotless as other fabrics.

I was going to buy a Western Flyer in 525 Navy but went for it in 1050 instead. And I decided to get a Navy Tristar in 1050 before they change over fully to 525 also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I wonder why they are getting rid of 1050. Do you know when it will no longer be produced? Maybe I should stock up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder why they are getting rid of 1050. Do you know when it will no longer be produced? Maybe I should stock up!

My guess would be cost of material. 1050 made in USA....525 made in South Korea.
    Monster Truck (Nebulous Gray) Cadet (Steel /NW Sky) Yeoman Duffel Mini (Burnt Orange) Yeoman Duffel Small (Steel)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
    My guess would be cost of material. 1050 made in USA....525 made in South Korea.
    Here's some information from when @Darcy posted about the 1050 mostly going away
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post181264

Another post
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post181657

If you haven't seen this, here's info on all the materials and their characteristics
    https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...