Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too found the masks to be surprisingly small. I have a few disposable masks sitting around as well as an old N95 mask from 3M I used in Asia a few years ago. The Bihn mask seems smaller than all of these. I'll wait for a large in a not-brown color to order more.

On a side note, I'm watching TV and all the doctors seemed decked out with new PPEs and the nurses are stuck with trash bags and reused masks. No wonder they seem so upset. Also, while surfing around, I noticed that Europe has banned exports of all masks for quite some time now. Even the U.S. didn't end up going that route, despite threatening to do so. The current situation seems to be causing people to resort to animal instincts, which is sad. Hopefully the mask situation gets resolved soon.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mask is the perfect size for me and it's comfortable to wear. I especially like the nose clip, which keeps my glasses from fogging up.

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also ordered two masks, but it could be a while until they get here I guess. I hope they work out for me. We are obligated to wear masks in public transport and in stores from Monday on and I still need to take the train to work. I've sewn a few masks (the pleated style) myself so far, but they all don't work well together with my glasses. I'm going to sew some more this weekend and try the other style. I've read somewhere that you can use those bendy bits from paper clips to get a better fit around the nose, I'll try that.

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    Also, while surfing around, I noticed that Europe has banned exports of all masks for quite some time now. Even the U.S. didn't end up going that route, despite threatening to do so. The current situation seems to be causing people to resort to animal instincts, which is sad. Hopefully the mask situation gets resolved soon.
    A while ago there were some news that the US rerouted a shipment of masks destined for Germany which were already paid for by just offering more money onsite at an Asian airport. So animal instincts is right...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate these masks and the pattern. The fit is so comfortable. I am very new to machine sewing but have been able to make a few. My bf is trying to figure out how to add a filter into the masks by using paper towel and leaving a flap open for inserting.

Omaha, NE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goblin View Post
    I really appreciate these masks and the pattern. The fit is so comfortable. I am very new to machine sewing but have been able to make a few. My bf is trying to figure out how to add a filter into the masks by using paper towel and leaving a flap open for inserting.
    Part of me wonders if it wouldn't be better to skip the filter. Unless the mask forms a seal around your face, obstructing air in one area will just encourage more flow in another--around the edges, most likely--which may render homemade filters useless (if not detrimental).

Not an expert on this subject though, so take my musings with a grain of salt. I'm basing this off what I've read about N95 masks, which must be fitted properly and require regular training to use because of this aspect.

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worn the couple of masks I ordered several times so far for extended periods of time, and I have found them to be surprisingly comfortable and breathable. I am very happy with the loop ear design rather than ties, as if it had ties instead, I can just imagine one accidentally coming undone at an inopportune moment. And the fit and finish is noticeably better than other ones I ordered from a different company that took dramatically longer to receive.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to see photos of your masks!
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know what kind of material is is used for the ear straps?

It is great - soft & stretchy. But not typical elastic.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @K9TB ,

I'm not sure what they use for the ear loops, but related to this topic, you might take a look at the Tom Bihn Mask Video Tutorial thread that @jblock started, and in addition to watching the start of his video, look at the references to "T-shirt yarn".

Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    Does anyone know what kind of material is is used for the ear straps?

It is great - soft & stretchy. But not typical elastic.
    HTH

moriond

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bf is trying to figure out how to add a filter into the masks by using paper towel and leaving a flap open for inserting.
    Some older friends have asked me about sewing filters into their masks. Tonight I tackled it. I sewed 4 masks for them and I put quick dry t-shirt as filter in between the layers. What I did was cut one layer of a pattern out of the t-shirt and cut it in half through the short side middle. I used a piece for each side of the mask, tacked it to the inside before tacking ear loops to the outside and other end. So one end of the cut piece of mask pattern fabric had filter tacked to inside of one end and ear loops tacked to outside of other end. Then I sewed the two layers together in the mustache-like curve that forms the front and back center seams of the finished mask. The rest of the assembly went as usual. Sorry, I don't have pictures as I wasn't sure what I was doing was going to work. This did work out, though and I'll be making some more tomorrow. I'll take pictures as I go and post them.

Also finished up 50 masks that are going to a shelter tomorrow.
    Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-50-masks-png
    Spring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you’re using round (hairtie) elastic and having trouble tacking it down because the elastic is too thin to pin and rolls forward under the presser foot: lower your needle into the fabric and put the elastic BEHIND the needle, lower the presser foot and stitch BACKWARDS then forward over the elastic. hope this helps!

Forum Member
    Arkansas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to find a local source for elastic, modified it’s length, and sewed up a new mask for myself. Very happy with the fit and “style” of the TB pattern. An easy sew. Thank you! Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-90f54adf-0b0c-40d1-a519-79c1a8fe0ff2-jpg

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minnesota is having a mask drive today. All firehouses in the state are accepting donations that will be distributed to residents of long term care facilities. Here’s my contribution. I’d like to thank Tom Bihn for the pattern! And the members of the forum who helped me decide on a Janome sewing machine! I love my Green Machine. even though she eats fabric sometimes.
    Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-fbfa70d1-35cc-477e-bcb1-3cd8be929915-jpeg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm telling myself there is no such thing as a stupid question but I still hesitate to ask this very basic question...

I've successfully made a few masks using the Tom Bihn pattern but it is always a surprise to me as to whether the completed mask is two fabric patterns on the front or one fabric pattern on the front and the other fabric pattern on the reverse side. I don't want to be surprised, I want to choose whether my masks have front all one design or two different designs. Please give me basic instruction on the fabric placement for cutting out mask. I'm comfortable with cutting through four layers of fabric to speed up process a little.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast