Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Tom Bihn, for whatever you can do.
    The need is so great!
    N95 masks are recommended, but surgical masks (or their substitutes), seem to me to be much better than make-shift efforts such as bandanas or bags! The masks you are designing would fit well, not requiring the user to touch their faces with their hands to continuously adjust them, which is a huge problem, since one's hands can become contaminated in a healthcare environment.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 03-23-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've updated the first post in this thread after it was pointed out to me (thank you!) that some greater specificity was needed.

The masks we're able to make in our factory are very simple "surgical style" face masks; they're very similar to what kind-hearted people all over the country have been making at home to contribute to the efforts to make masks. The first small batch we made was with fabric we purchased at JoAnn's that was 100% cotton. We then sourced a better fabric: it's a 65% polyester / 35% cotton blend. Future face masks will be made with this fabric -- we're not experts, but hope it's more useful than a 100% cotton blend because polyester is hydrophobic.

The masks we're making DO NOT replace N95s, medical-grade surgical masks, or face shields.

From what we know (we're not experts) the most appropriate possible uses for these masks are:
    • Wearing the "surgical style" face mask over an N95 that is being used in an effort/attempt to extend its life.
    • Providing the face masks to people who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (or coughing, sneezing, etc. for any reason) to reduce the spread of infectious droplets.
    • If hospital visitors wear such masks, it may reduce the infection rate.
    • Individuals who might otherwise use the medical-grade masks that healthcare professionals need to use could use these masks instead.
    • Individuals who wouldn't otherwise wear any mask at all but would wear one of these for whatever reason.

We have been working to make masks to provide them to people who would use them in these situations. We have received requests all kinds of places/contexts... from animal shelters who had donated all of their medical-grade personal protective equipment, healthcare workers trying to extend the life of their N95s, dentist offices who want masks that they can provide to their patients who request them, social workers who make site visits, and various others. We have read that some healthcare professionals are being told to wear bandanas or anything they can find.

Simultaneously, we are also working on other potential efforts that take much more time, research, and vetting; as circumstances are changing day-to-day, these efforts may change too. As I have said before: our hope is that we're out of the business of making these masks as soon as possible because our healthcare professionals and other individuals who require personal protective equipment have been provided with the actual, real, medical-grade stuff and plenty of it.

So that's the update for today Smilie Our crew began today by making their own face masks firsts (and face masks for people like me who can't sew!) Just speaking for myself and only myself: I liked wearing my mask. (Although, honestly, xyppy's mask is way cuter.) It was comfortable and breathable. It also felt like... just something more I could do and when I saw everyone else wearing masks -- for me it was a reminder we really are in this together and we can do this.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently in a hotel that is close to two huge medical centers. Many of the people staying here are family members of patients--mostly cancer--who need to visit their families every day. (Some are parents of small kids.) The hospitals have basically run out of masks and want to limit the visitors. How can I arrange to purchase some masks for these people? I'm willing to absorb the cost and just give them out.

I'm also thinking of dropping some off at the local Ronald McDonald House.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Thanks, Tom Bihn, for whatever you can do.
    The need is so great!
    N95 masks are recommended, but surgical masks (or their substitutes), seem to me to be much better than make-shift efforts such as bandanas or bags! The masks you are designing would fit well, not requiring the user to touch their faces with their hands to continuously adjust them, which is a huge problem, since one's hands can become contaminated in a healthcare environment.
    Thank you for that link, @bchaplin ! Until I saw that page I had assumed I couldn't donate the masks I have, because they're not in a sealed package. (I bought a box of surgical-style masks last summer and I still have most of them left.) It looks like some places near me will accept them anyway. Thanks again!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A health system in Albany, GA (southwest part of the state) is starting to be overwhelmed with an outbreak in that area. They posted instructions for home-made masks that a lot of people in their area are using to donate to them. I’m not sure which design is better. Probably pros and cons to each, and probably some amount of personal preference.

https://www.phoebehealth.com/patient...ask-production
    Last edited by aedifica; 03-24-2020 at 03:33 PM. Reason: fix broken link

Forum Member
    Central NY
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to Darcy and all at Tom Binh for making these masks. I just received a box of 10 (shipped overnight air) that I will share with my coworkers. I am beyond blown away by your compassion for others and your generous spirit. I appreciate you all so much.

The far west
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstj315 View Post
    Thank you to Darcy and all at Tom Binh for making these masks. I just received a box of 10 (shipped overnight air) that I will share with my coworkers. I am beyond blown away by your compassion for others and your generous spirit. I appreciate you all so much.
    I am glad they arrived safely. Please let us know if you have feedback on them: we're new at mask making, but getting better and better by the day.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Central NY
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I am glad they arrived safely. Please let us know if you have feedback on them: we're new at mask making, but getting better and better by the day.
    Darcy, I took the box into work and 4 of my co-workers got 2 each, so one could be washed while the other is in use. I used one yesterday to make a quick home visit (if anyone is curious I work in child protective services and we are mandated to assess for safety and risk), and it worked really well. The ties are long enough to secure tightly, they are comfortable on your face and they breathe well. The colors are also really nice! I am so grateful to have them and cannot thank you and everyone at Tom Binh enough.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just chiming in to say TB jumping in to produce these much needed masks is totally amazing. It’s wonderful to see companies coming together to fill this vital need to protect health care workers, first responders, and others is very inspiring, especially at a time where hoarding, price gouging, and selfishness is so prevalent.

I really enjoyed this article in the Daily Mail and seeing the pictures of the wonderful folks at Tom Bihn.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rofession.html
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s a rumor on Twitter, not started by a total nobody, that the CDC is considering updating its guidance for the general public. The new guidance would supposedly continue the social distancing stuff but also add wearing masks in public (for grocery shopping and the like), to help slow transmission. If that goes into place, there’s going to be a surge in the market for simple, ideally reusable (and disinfectable) masks.

In that scenario, I would happily support a “buy one, donate one (or some)” model like Tom’s has for its shoes.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we place orders for these masks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    In that scenario, I would happily support a “buy one, donate one (or some)” model like Tom’s has for its shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TKS View Post
    After trying to get materials for masks or washable masks themselves, I would heartily support any model of purchasing these Tom Bihn face masks.

The far west
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TKS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    After trying to get materials for masks or washable masks themselves, I would heartily support any model of purchasing these Tom Bihn face masks.
    Noted. We aren't offering the face masks we're making for individual order, but depending on various things, that could change at some point. I will let everyone know if/when it does.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about bulk orders? I would like to buy 100. My hotel is getting guests who have loved ones in the hospital but because they are not health care workers, can't get masks. Plus the Ronald McDonald house has put out a plea for anything people are willing to donate. I'm just going to give them away. My good deed for the day.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of many reasons why I like to buy Tom Bihn products as the company exemplifies all that is good about people. Looking at a problem and saying, "Perhaps we can help" is a trait we all would do well to follow.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast