Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    one of the interesting outliers in all of this is Japan - they don't seem to be following any of the standard moves (shelter-in-place, mass testing, quarantine, etc), yet the outbreak seems under control - many people are crediting this to cultural long-term widespread mask use. We'll have to wait to see if this is true but I can say in Oct when I was there probably 50% of people (in Tokyo) we encountered were wearing masks, and I would guess post-january that drastically increased.
    Japan's numbers are low but that doesn't mean the outbreak is under control there. There has been a very low rate of testing compared with other countries and criticism that the government has been denying the seriousness of the situation. In recent days the number of cases has increased and there is widespread concern that it could get worse. Incoming passengers from specified countries are being quarantined. While there hasn't been a lockdown yet, the Tokyo governor has made repeated appeals for people to stay at home which is the most she can legally do.

Japanese people tend to wear masks when they have a cold, to prevent passing it to others, rather than to protect themselves from disease. As some people who have COVID-19 are asymptomatic, it's less likely that these people would wear a mask. There has also been a shortage of masks in Japan, with difficulty finding them in some areas.

So in summary, Japan may not be an "outlier" for much longer.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Southeastern NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    YES

@Darcy , If you do get to the point of offering masks up for sale (and even if you don't) please include options to donate money per mask and/or just flat donations to subsidize masks for others.
    This would be an excellent idea if it is do-able on the website!

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denises View Post
    So in summary, Japan may not be an "outlier" for much longer.
    You nailed it!
    Tokyo, April 3 (Jiji Press)--The Tokyo metropolitan government will request residents to refrain from leaving their homes in the event the Japanese government declares a state of emergency over the new coronavirus pandemic, Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike said Friday.

She also indicated that the Tokyo government will ask event organizers to restrict or ban the use of facilities after the possible declaration. "I think the central government is ready to make a state of emergency declaration," Koike said at a press conference, adding that the metropolitan government will disclose its measures before the declaration is made.

Really, really hoping we get some therapeutics fast ...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    See C.D.C. is expected to advise all Americans to wear cloth masks in public (New York Times)

Given this development, I have gone ahead and created a page that allows anyone to sign up to be notified via email when/if we offer our face masks for purchase by the general public:
    TOM BIHN Face Mask

I can't, at this point, share when we'd be able to make these masks available for purchase. I can tell you things change here every day: we have, in recent days, made impressive gains in our efficiency and production capacity thanks to improvements we've made to the process by which the masks are made. Our mask would not be the least expensive option out there; it would be priced to cover our basic costs and potentially help us offset some of the expenses we've already incurred (and will continue to incur) making and shipping face masks.

I've tried to make it clear in the description that we only want people to buy one of our masks if they want to... and I've created a list of DIY mask options for those who don't want to buy a mask. Let me know if you have any suggestions for links I could add to that list.

Please also see the guidelines the FDA has recommended that I included in the description.
    You guys at Tom Bihn are seriously amazing!! It's so wonderful your making masks for our health professionals. Thank you!Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masksPitching in to make simple surgical-style face masksPitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a t-shirt sleeve mask that's easy and no-sew, like the option in the CDC link. I've discovered that I much prefer ties to elastic around my ears, so this one is a lot more comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djEH...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Mask away! I wear one outside all the time now, even on a walk or bike ride.

Editing to add: I turn the t shirt inside out and cut to include the armpit seam so it’s as if the fabric is already serged and won’t roll.
    Last edited by Rocks; 04-07-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    There's a t-shirt sleeve mask that's easy and no-sew, like the option in the CDC link. I've discovered that I much prefer ties to elastic around my ears, so this one is a lot more comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djEH...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Mask away! I wear one outside all the time now, even on a walk or bike ride.

Editing to add: I turn the t shirt inside out and cut to include the armpit seam so it’s as if the fabric is already serged and won’t roll.
    This is really clever, and easy! Thanks!

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be the best place for me to put this link: How to Wear a Face Mask Without Fogging Up Your Glasses

I haven't tried any of the options yet, but I hope one of them will work well for me!

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    This might be the best place for me to put this link: How to Wear a Face Mask Without Fogging Up Your Glasses

I haven't tried any of the options yet, but I hope one of them will work well for me!
    Yep, I've been having the fogging issue. And I've spoken with several other people who have, too. Thanks for the link! I'll give some of the less pricey options a try. I'm not up for getting contacts or Lasik.
    Spring

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

There was an interesting tip provided by @gochicken in the Ravelry forums today, where the discussion about what people were doing during covid-19 turned to making masks. A number of Ravelry forum members appear to be using patterns and instructions from this Face mask Sewing pattern page at craftpassion.com

For those using patterns with a filter insert, the recommendation was to use blue shop towels for the filter material. I’ll quote part of @gochicken ’s post that gives the link to why this material works better.

Just made my first two masks yesterday…
    For the filter, I’m using Blue Shop Towels because of what i read here:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/home...-better-2020-4

The people who did this are supposed to be providing a pattern soon, but I’m just sticking a double layer of towel inside and cutting to size. The towels are relatively cheap. I got 330 ToolBox Shop Towels for 9 dollars. They were tested and found to better at filtering than cotton.
    Since I already have some of these blue shop towels at home, I thought I’d pass on the information that they may provide better filtration and also be more breathable than various alternatives like coffee filters. This would make sense because they appear to have a denser weave than paper towels, but are also lightweight and more cloth like in feel.

HTH. By the way I know some people advocate wearing goggles for eye protection, but re: the glasses fogging up tips, the only glasses I have are reading glasses for occasional use. I do have an old swimming mask(and let’s not go there with snorkel gear). Any advice? (I could start wearing my reading glasses, but things are just less sharp when I wear them for anything except reading).

moriond

ETA: Sorry, pasting in the quote took out the beginning of my post. I had to edit it to type it in again
    Last edited by moriond; 04-08-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wear a merino wool headband low on my face/head to cover my nose, mouth wars and back of my head.

I also rigged it - see photo - with 2 elastic eyeglass straps (I do not have regular elastic) to make something that looks more like a mask.

The headband is double layer, so the setup is 4 layers of fabric. I can pull the bottom layer down my chin, to make breathing easier.

The headband is 4 inches on the narrow width. It may or may not be wide enough for others, but it works for me.

We do whatever it takes to keep everyone safe.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi All,

HTH. By the way I know some people advocate wearing goggles for eye protection, but re: the glasses fogging up tips, the only glasses I have are reading glasses for occasional use. I do have an old swimming mask(and let’s not go there with snorkel gear). Any advice? (I could start wearing my reading glasses, but things are just less sharp when I wear them for anything except reading). I will go out on a limb and guess that you may not have ski goggles in Hawaii, but I think that might be really hot anyway.

moriond
    When I had to go to the grocery store recently, I ended up wearing light tint sunglasses. Since they weren't dark tint, I could still see, and I figured it was better than nothing. I don't know if you also have any eye protection for home projects? While it might feel clunky that could be another option.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    I just wear a merino wool headband low on my face/head to cover my nose, mouth wars and back of my head.

I also rigged it - see photo - with 2 elastic eyeglass straps (I do not have regular elastic) to make something that looks more like a mask.

The headband is double layer, so the setup is 4 layers of fabric. I can pull the bottom layer down my chin, to make breathing easier.

The headband is 4 inches on the narrow width. It may or may not be wide enough for others, but it works for me.

We do whatever it takes to keep everyone safe.
    I've seen people in NYC wearing eye masks over their nose/mouths. People are being really creative for masks!
    Spring

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trade Joe has microfiber towels in their cleaning section. Some years ago, TB offered eye glasses microfiber cloth.

I point out another source because the article is sure to create a rush for the blue shop towel product.

Additionally, hoarding rubbing alcohol is not recommended because diabetics and people who need to clean around medical devices need that product.

Any kind of soap is better than any other cleaning agent.

Clean linen in hot water and dry in hot setting.

I suppose that for clothes, use the highest water and dryer's temperature the fabric tag says it is acceptable.

Thank you for the no-sew and headband mask links.

<3 Backpack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    See C.D.C. is expected to advise all Americans to wear cloth masks in public (New York Times)

Given this development, I have gone ahead and created a page that allows anyone to sign up to be notified via email when/if we offer our face masks for purchase by the general public:
    TOM BIHN Face Mask

I can't, at this point, share when we'd be able to make these masks available for purchase. I can tell you things change here every day: we have, in recent days, made impressive gains in our efficiency and production capacity thanks to improvements we've made to the process by which the masks are made. Our mask would not be the least expensive option out there; it would be priced to cover our basic costs and potentially help us offset some of the expenses we've already incurred (and will continue to incur) making and shipping face masks.

I've tried to make it clear in the description that we only want people to buy one of our masks if they want to... and I've created a list of DIY mask options for those who don't want to buy a mask. Let me know if you have any suggestions for links I could add to that list.

Please also see the guidelines the FDA has recommended that I included in the description.
    First, thank you for making masks for the community and potentially offering them for sale. I think everyone greatly appreciates it.

I saw one your masks on FB and the design seemed better than others Ive seen. Any chance the pattern could be released so those with home machines and limited funds can make them?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast