Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by healthydetail View Post
    First, thank you for making masks for the community and potentially offering them for sale. I think everyone greatly appreciates it.

I saw one your masks on FB and the design seemed better than others I’ve seen. Any chance the pattern could be released so those with home machines and limited funds can make them?
    Absolutely. We'll work on instructions to go with the pattern over the weekend... hope to post it all Mon/Tues.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Absolutely. We'll work on instructions to go with the pattern over the weekend... hope to post it all Mon/Tues.
    That is wonderful! Should have expected no less from TB. Thank you and stay safe!

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Darcy! I’ve been using the pattern from craftpassion.com to make masks for my adult children and spouses scattered far & wide, trying to keep them safe as best I can from afar. Then my son texted, asking if I could expedite shipping because the DoD had just issued a directive that masks are required for all military workspaces that cannot maintain a 6’ distance (my son and DIL are naval officers on ships so, of course, social distancing is impossible). A few minutes later, he texted asking if I could possibly make more, because his sailors are trying to work with T-shirts wrapped around their faces. I’ve streamlined the craftpassion.com pattern with each batch, but it still has fabric waste and steps that I want to cut further. I’m working as fast as I can to get 200 masks finished this weekend so I can ship them out to him on Monday. I look forward to trying your pattern so I can make more masks faster to help the rest of his ship’s crew. Thanks again!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

I’m updating the information in my quoted post of @gochicken ’s Ravelry information. This is the information about using Blue Shop Towels for better filtration. Again, all kudos to her for the link, and I’ll give her :update below

“The company mentioned in the article I referenced in my previous post has published their mask pattern.”

At the linked location for PDF instructions, (SUAY Community Mask Coalition) they further note:
    “*This mask pattern is optimized for production, developed for a universal adult fit. There is an optional variation to the pattern (see below). These materials are just suggestions, as we have only been able to do particulate testing as included. Even so, our testing results are not guaranteed, and this mask pattern is not approved by the FDA or CDC, and these filter options have not been approved for mask making materials.”

So, I hope this streamlined pattern may also help @Wanderlust77

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust77 View Post
    Thank you, Darcy! I’ve been using the pattern from craftpassion.com to make masks for my adult children and spouses scattered far & wide, trying to keep them safe as best I can from afar. Then my son texted, asking if I could expedite shipping because the DoD had just issued a directive that masks are required for all military workspaces that cannot maintain a 6’ distance (my son and DIL are naval officers on ships so, of course, social distancing is impossible). A few minutes later, he texted asking if I could possibly make more, because his sailors are trying to work with T-shirts wrapped around their faces. I’ve streamlined the craftpassion.com pattern with each batch, but it still has fabric waste and steps that I want to cut further. I’m working as fast as I can to get 200 masks finished this weekend so I can ship them out to him on Monday. I look forward to trying your pattern so I can make more masks faster to help the rest of his ship’s crew. Thanks again!
    HTH,

moriond

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi All,

Iím updating the information in my quoted post of @gochicken ís Ravelry information. This is the information about using Blue Shop Towels for better filtration. Again, all kudos to her for the link, and Iíll give her :update below

ďThe company mentioned in the article I referenced in my previous post has published their mask pattern
    Thank you, @moriond , Iíll give that pattern a try also!

At the linked location for PDF instructions, (SUAY Community Mask Coalition) they further note:
    ď*This mask pattern is optimized for production, developed for a universal adult fit. There is an optional variation to the pattern (see below). These materials are just suggestions, as we have only been able to do particulate testing as included. Even so, our testing results are not guaranteed, and this mask pattern is not approved by the FDA or CDC, and these filter options have not been approved for mask making materials.Ē

So, I hope this streamlined pattern may also help @Wanderlust77

HTH,

moriond
    Thank you, @moriond ; Iíll give that pattern a try also!

The far west
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want, you can track our efforts here.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ ❤️

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing team work, TB Crew!! So many masks and so many varied recipients...kudos to each of you there!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive to turn out so many masks so quickly, considering itís not your business at all. I understand the common skills and tools involved, but still...

Even more impressive that youíre donating thousands.

Iím curious if youíve changed materials or design much, as all these new articles and limited research comes out? And as youíve now run over 40k.

The far west
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post
    Amazing team work, TB Crew!! So many masks and so many varied recipients...kudos to each of you there!
    Thank you for the support.

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    I’m curious if you’ve changed materials or design much, as all these new articles and limited research comes out? And as you’ve now run over 40k.
    We worked with several different designs before settling on the single mask design we're making now. (I am still updating this page, but you can go here and scroll down to "Things We've Learned" for more information on one aspect of this.)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want, you can track our efforts here.
    Excellent...proud of you guys...love the work you are doing

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed the '?' by the 'in production' and it brings up a pop up explaining - that's a nice bit too
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We worked with several different designs before settling on the single mask design we're making now. (I am still updating this page, but you can go here and scroll down to "Things We've Learned" for more information on one aspect of this.)
    I really like the idea of the stitched area for wire. I spent some time shopping on Etsy yesterday for fun masks--mostly something Harry Potter for my wife and Star Wars for me. We'll eventually want a few masks each so we're not running laundry every time we each go out. The different patterns out there are really interesting. Some with filter pockets, some with nose wire, some with ties, others with ear loops, etc. While I did end up ordering a few that don't have any wire, it's something that seems pretty important to making sure there's a good seal and the mask doesn't end up very near your eyes. I'll probably end up fiddling with them to add something to the nose. It will push my crafting skills to their limits though!

I'm also very interested to see how the fabric ear loops work. All of the ones on Etsy with elastic warned to wash on cold and never warmer than tumble dry. Some with ties said warm water and low dry was fine. Even those settings should be fine for covid-19, but being able to run higher wash and dry temps is a good option.

I did see one seller who I thought had a simple, but great accessory: it was a short elastic strap with two buttons, and they called it an "ear saver". You hook the elastic ear straps around the buttons, so the "ear saver" goes around the back of your head, and keeps the elastic from digging into your ears all day.

The far west
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    I'm also very interested to see how the fabric ear loops work. All of the ones on Etsy with elastic warned to wash on cold and never warmer than tumble dry. Some with ties said warm water and low dry was fine. Even those settings should be fine for covid-19, but being able to run higher wash and dry temps is a good option.

I did see one seller who I thought had a simple, but great accessory: it was a short elastic strap with two buttons, and they called it an "ear saver". You hook the elastic ear straps around the buttons, so the "ear saver" goes around the back of your head, and keeps the elastic from digging into your ears all day.
    I've machine washed hot/machine dried hot my masks every day for 20 days. Part of my protocol; get home, wash clothes, wash masks. No issues so far. I can't say these masks will last forever, or as long as our bags; they won't. But I don't see mine breaking down anytime soon, even with the heavy duty washing. At least for me + our crew of 25 people, no ear digging issues with the material we're using. YMMV.
    Last edited by Darcy; 04-12-2020 at 08:21 AM.

The far west
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, hereís our go at a pattern. Note that we donít normally make patterns like these, so this is a new effort for us, and we ask for your usual patience and kindness Smilie We don't have any idea of this pattern is more helpful or less helpful than the many patterns out there in the world; we're providing it because it was requested.

Note that the nose bridge piece of our mask isnít here; we arenít really sure how to best include that, nor do we know what material to recommend that home sewers could easily procure. We are using a short piece of nylon herringbone tape for that piece.

TBmaskV1.pdf

Here's a quick video where Tom shares a couple of tips that have helped us make our masks faster.... again, you may already be using these methods, or have moved on to something that works even better.

Open to any thoughts/feedback you guys have.

Some ways to speed up mask production at home

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast