Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That look simple @Darcy ! Thanks! Is the pdf patter to scale? If I print it out at home will it be the right size for “normal” sized faces?

I learned that I’m about a 2/3 scale model adult lol. I have to size face mask patterns down for my own use. Or make a kid sized pattern.

p.s. I’ve been making fabric masks and putting them in the laundry room of my large apartment building as well as offering to make masks for friends and family.
    Last edited by Rocks; 04-13-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a sewing machine or kit and will stay with no-sewing homemade options until decent masks like TB are available. I purchased disposal masks which finally came in. They're covered in some sort of chemical that started to burn my nostrils and I'm still tasting the chemicals more than 24 hours later.

My approach is to stay with bandanas for now or neck gaiters. With the bandanas, I found I have to tie them pretty tight in order for them to stay in place when I'm moving around. My solution is something I saw from someone else using two bandanas. With this approach, I don't have to tie the bandana mask as tight and it still stays in place.

1. Tie a head band around your head. Could be another bandana.
    2. Fold a second bandana like Darcy showed earlier in this thread.
    3. Place the 2nd bandana across your face and slip the ends up through the first bandana.
    4. Tie off the second bandana so it's comfortable on your face.

The first bandana will hold the second in place so it doesn't slip down. You also don't have to tie the mask bandana as tight to keep it in place.

Oops. Sorry, the rotation is cock-eyed.

Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-img_1409-jpg

Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-img_1410-jpg
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made it! The TB pattern. First off, just print the PDF. The sizing is perfect.
    Cut out the mask shape. I cut doubled over fabric so I had both pieces.
    Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-850f04ff-44f9-4ed6-b193-66e10b99e84e-jpg

Sew the rounded section.

Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-f63b1e39-250f-4321-957c-b8634c21dabc-jpg
    Fold the top down and attach the elastics. (I’m out of elastic so I used TB zipper pulls to illustrate)

Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-b5fee9e7-a4fd-4614-b328-11a43fd37c95-jpg

Stitch the edge of the elastic bits down.

Then it got a bit confusing.
    Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-580894a5-a4db-451c-b0eb-ea01d3acf27c-jpg

Fold in half to make a coffee filter shape. Then I had to sort of reverse engineer it. (I’m fairly new to machine sewing and patterns). I knew it was inside out and the elastics had to go on the outside. But first, finish the two seams on the inside. The elastics would still be sandwiched inside at this point. Not like the picture Stick Out Tongue
    Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-54c488b4-ab23-470d-8c80-cdafa9921e9e-jpg

Then invert it and sew the bit that’s unfinished on the outside.
    Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-a1793213-0055-446b-a827-80339b807db2-jpg

Done! I did this very quickly as a trial run. I hope it didn’t confuse anyone. If I can do this pattern, anyone can!

Thank you very much, TB Crew. I’m going to be making these for grocery store workers now. The cashier at Trader Joe’s today said the ones they’re provided were flimsy. I told him I’d make some and drop them off.
    Be well!
    Last edited by Rocks; 04-13-2020 at 03:35 PM.

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-tbmaskv1-jpg

Boo! I hope I didn't scare you! Don't mind what looks like my quadruple chin, please.

I made this mask rather quickly, although not as fast as Tom made his in the video but much, much faster than the masks I've been making. Thanks TB crew for the pattern and the instructions!!! I'm going to refine my method now that I've made one. I'm sure I can make these at least 3 times faster than the ones I was making and it's comfortable, too.
    Spring

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In regards to cutting the fabric for the TBMask V1, it's easier to just use half of the pattern on a fold of several layers of fabric, kind of like one would do when cutting out a shirt pattern. I was able to cut out 8 layers, enough for 4 masks, in one go of it.

Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-fold-jpg
    Spring

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great video! I didnít think about chain sewing items. I did do multiple layer cutouts and worked through stages at the same time. Iíve also omitted pinning items in favor of speed. I was lucky. I had two packets of seam bias tape to use for shaping around the nose and to provide a place for wires to go. Iíve also seen some people simply stitch zigzag over the metal wire. Not sure how comfortable that would be for wearing, but it would do for quick trips to the store.

I got my TB mask yesterday in the mail. I love how comfortable it fits. The elastic is great. I am using shoe strings and t-shirts and yarn for ties because thatís what I have on hand. If Iíd only known to stock up for a pandemic, I would have planned better, LOL.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    I got my TB mask yesterday in the mail. I love how comfortable it fits. The elastic is great. I am using shoe strings and t-shirts and yarn for ties because that’s what I have on hand. If I’d only known to stock up for a pandemic, I would have planned better, LOL.
    I suspect once this is all over everyone will have random supplies of N95, single-use surgical, and cloth masks stored up for years to come. And hopefully it will be many decades before we get back to the point where our medical personnel need us to donate everything we have to keep them protected.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the mask making feedback!

Tom is going to make a new video today that shows the whole mask-making process..... if you can think of anything else we could show in the video or explain better, let me know right away!
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Tom is going to make a new video today that shows the whole mask-making process..... if you can think of anything else we could show in the video or explain better, let me know right away!
    I havenít tried the pattern yet (Iíve been making pleated masks with ties - I think I got that pattern link from one of your earlier posts), but the part that Iím having most trouble visualizing is how to attach the ear loops so a little extra/slower time on that step would probably be helpful.

Itís funny, video isnít usually my preferred method to learn things, but Iím finding it is for sewing, probably because Iím such a newbie. I really appreciate Tom taking the time to make these videos and for sharing the pattern!

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Darcy I just made a few more of this pattern and I want to thank you again for sharing it! By far, it’s the easiest, and more importantly, most comfortable of the 4 patterns I’ve made. The pattern is a marvel.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few questions: What material are you using for the ear straps and how long are you making them? Thank you for sharing the pattern.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chaining together and cardboard cutout are genius! Now I _really_ wish I could watch you guys at work if but to experience that atmosphere of efficiency.

In all things, you guys are simply amazing. Can't wait for the next video!

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kajikaiko View Post
    Just a few questions: What material are you using for the ear straps and how long are you making them? Thank you for sharing the pattern.
    I know you didn't ask me...but I'll tell you what I'm using which is 7 inch (1/4 inch wide) flat elastic for each strap. I'm going to be running out of elastic soon so I ordered some 1/8 inch shock cord from boredparacord.com and I'll use that for the remaining masks I make.

Here's a picture of a full size mask. The one in my picture earlier in this thread is smaller because like @Rocks I also need a 2/3 sized pattern which is what I made last night.
    Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-fullsize-jpg
    I know the top stitching isn't necessary or fancy or neat but it does help the mask keep it's form better and makes the nose wire less necessary.
    Spring

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pattern tweak suggestion here. I don't have a printer or fancy software handy at the moment but I have pen, colored pencil and paper towel. The last bit of sewing before turning the mask right side out should include sewing through/over the intersection of the middle seams. Leaving a gap on one side or the other of the intersection between top ear loop and half an inch to the intersection makes the finishing when right side out easier and neater, in my opinion. If I had time to show a picture of a sewn mask I would do it but I need to get ready for work. Maybe at lunch time I can sew another mask and take a picture so you can see what I mean without having to be at the mercy of my sketch.
    Pitching in to make simple surgical-style face masks-pattern-alt-jpg
    Spring

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast