Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time Tom Bihn customer! Help! Unusual questions :)

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a Synik 22 Guides Edition in Ursa! Super Stoked. Iíve always been very intrigued with Tom Bihn and finally pulled the trigger on it. Iíve only heard great reviews on this brand and the organization capabilities excite me lol.

Iíve always loved Sling, messenger or tactical backbacks from 5.11, Vertx, Brown Buffalo, etc. and that was primarily due to the fact that I love the EDC life, I like to be as minimal/practical/prepared as possible, and I off-body carry my firearm a lot of times in wild and/or urban environments. Unfortunately my old tactical bag was stolen recently, so long story short.. going forward I want a more ďCovert, Low-KeyĒ minimal bag with lots of versatility. I wanted to know if by ANY chance anyone had come up with any cool Concealed Carry mods in this bag? Maybe added Velcro inside, or used the HLT as a quick access point inside the bag?

I also wanted to know does anyone know the EXACT dimensions on the water bottle compartment? I normally use my Yeti Rambler 26oz. I havenít received my bag yet so Iíve just been doing research. Thanks all!!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pguerrero693 View Post
    I also wanted to know does anyone know the EXACT dimensions on the water bottle compartment? I normally use my Yeti Rambler 26oz. I haven’t received my bag yet so I’ve just been doing research. Thanks all!!
    Hi @Pguerrero693 ,

Welcome to the forums. Congratulation on your Synik 22 Guide's Edition in Ursa -- I recently received this bag. I can't answer your questions about mods that would allow you to use your Synik for concealed carry, but I can point you to places which will help answer your question about water bottles for the Synik. Because the water bottle compartment is not a rectangular block (and the compartment walls can flex depending on what is stored in the side pockets), it's better to look at pictures of the fit. Even the maximum height that can fit is going to depend on the shape of the cap that you're using.

Take a look at the series of Yeti Rambler pictures that @tuskegee7294 posted (#357, dated 08-14-2019) in the middle of the (long) Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers thread. You'll want to go back and look at her post #265 (dated 08-06-2019) and also scroll up to her post #352 for more water bottle comments. She was reviewing a Black/Island Synik22 and her first post in that thread is here (#66, dated 07-25-2019), where the bag was identified as a Synik 22.

Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    Went back to REI and was able to fit a 26oz Yeti Rambler but it was with a little difficulty but that could be due to how I have my bag loaded. If your side pocket items are encroaching into the water bottle pocket then the bottle will not go in smoothly.

18oz is the sweet spot

If you change the top that could make a difference.

Hope this helps. Tried the Hydroflask but a lot of their lids are tall which keeps the bag from closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So, the upshot as I read it is that the Yeti Rambler 26 oz with Chug Cap sticks out above the top of the water bottle pocket, but that you might get a better fit with a different cap (like the Hotshot cap?). The 18 oz Yeti Rambler fits very well. There are a lot more people who post about Hydro Flask, Kleen Kanteen, and Zojurushi, so you can ask about other water bottles.

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Welcome... and to add to @moriond 's post, I never bother to zip my water bottle pocket and haven't had a problem with my Zojirushi thermos or my 17oz GSI Outdoors Microlite falling out (old or new versions of water bottle pocket). Both of those are much slimmer than a Yeti.

So if you're not intending to flip your bag upside down (mine is vertical on my back or tossed onto a car seat sideways) and don't mind the aesthetic of an open zip on that pocket, the top sticking out may not be a big deal for you.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! @moriond
    By the looks of it the 18oz rambler definitely fits better. Do you know if by any chance the 26oz would still zip though? By the looks of it, you may be able to zip it through. I use the normal chug cap.

@G42 thanks for the tip! It probably wouldnít bother me for the most part but Iím so OCD that it would get to me eventually lol. I need to be able to close it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry! just read and saw she stated she WAS able to fit the 26oz but it was a tight fit.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I too have a Yeti 26oz Rambler. While I don't own a SN22, I do have a S19. And my 26oz Yeti fits in the water bottle pocket and zips shut, no problem. It's obviously a little tighter the more packed out it is, but here are pics of it on my EDC filled S19. Hope this helps ease your mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images First time Tom Bihn customer! Help! Unusual questions :)-img_1468-jpg  First time Tom Bihn customer! Help! Unusual questions :)-img_1469-jpg 

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cinderblock View Post
    FWIW, I too have a Yeti 26oz Rambler. While I don't own a SN22, I do have a S19. And my 26oz Yeti fits in the water bottle pocket and zips shut, no problem. It's obviously a little tighter the more packed out it is, but here are pics of it on my EDC filled S19. Hope this helps ease your mind.
    Welcome to the Forums, @Pguerrero693 and @cinderblock ! @cinderblock , thanks for chiming in about the 26oz Yeti.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can address some of your off-body carry questions, as it's not a commonly discussed topic on these forums.

Velcro could work on the inside of the main compartment and could even be sewn through the laptop access for sturdy attachment. Keep in mind though that TB zippers are pretty stout and the main compartment in particular takes a little force or two-handed operation to open, so it isn't the quickest access.

I carry a Sig P365 XL, and if I were to carry it in my S22, it would be in the right side exterior pocket. Drawing would be a similar operation to the Vertx slings, but not nearly as fast. I can also fit a G19 in that pocket, but it takes a little coercion to get out. Both of those also fit well in the water bottle pocket, and I can imagine a decent velcro setup in there as well.

Either way, I'd recommend a trigger guard holster like the Raven Vanguard style. You could even tie off the paracord end to one of the O-rings, but I'd rather give it a good pull by hand once you've drawn.

So it's definitely not the most ideal carry option for easy/quick access, but I'm sure you can make it work. Happy to answer any related questions or test other configurations.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @slightlysaltybagman
    Thanks for your insight!
    Yeah I’ve read the zippers are pretty sturdy and aren’t ideal for quick access and require a bit of force.. do they break in eventually?
    Personally, I just feel my firearm is really exposed in the front compartments and I REALLY wanted to use that dedicated water bottle compartment for my water bottle, but I guess it is an option!
    I was thinking two options:
    Either buying the HLT and leaving it open in the main compartment and storing my firearm there or just adding iron-on or Adhesive loop inside the bag and using my Velcro holsters I’ve used in the past for my previous bags. Not sure how it will hold without sewing it, as I don’t sew lol. I currently and coincidentally carry a Sig P365, the standard size!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The zippers break in a little over time, and I use a little WD-40 on mine, but they're still a little tougher than most manufacturers (which means they last forever) but not as easy to get into as your previous bags.

I hear ya on the security and feel the same. I also have an HLT and I think it's a little too floppy to carry a firearm, especially hanging from the top of the bag. If you swing the bag around your shoulder you'll probably want it facing "up" in the slung position, which would be to the right side of the bag if you're bringing it around the right shoulder. So your iron-on loop side might be the best option- then you can place the holster however feels best to you.

I think it really just comes down to how you see yourself using it and what you're willing to sacrifice for convenience. Anything is better than leaving your ccw at home. I have a Vertx Transit sling that I'd rather use over the Synik in the event I need an off-body option, but even in the Florida heat I prefer IWB, and I'm a smaller framed guy. I'd love to see what you come up with though!