Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neck bag for anti-virus/disinfecting kit? (Passport Pouch-meets-Cubelet?)

(Not sure which forum to choose for this one since it's a combo of a Wish List item and does-this-exist question. Please do let me know if I should repost elsewhere.)

As someone in an immunocompromised household, the need to be extra careful about COVID-19 right now is very high. By necessity, I am THE person who has to do all the public supply runs, and to do so as carefully, strategically, and hygienically as possible.

That need won't be letting up any time soon, so I need to come up with some new strategies. And as part of that, I am really wishing I had a small bag in which to carry necessary hygiene/disinfecting supplies while on supply runs that I could wear around my neck that requires minimal handling/manipulation.

What it would carry:

• 1 small hand sanitizer (tends to vary slightly, but currently 4"h x 2"w x 1"d) OR travel pack of hand wipes (8"h (6.5"h with edges tucked under) x 3.3"w x 0.6"d)*
    • 1 travel pack Clorox wipes (6.75"h (4.6"h with edges tucked under) x 3.5"w x 0.5"d)
    • 1 disposable mask in plastic wrapping (9.5"h x 3.9"w but bag does NOT have to be tall enough to contain the mask entirely: I just need somewhere to keep it temporarily until it's planted on my face)
    • 1-2 pair(s) nitrile or plastic gloves

*the hand wipes pack is the truly annoying anomaly of the bunch, and might just need to stick out of whatever solution is found until I can find smaller packs to carry around

Requirements:

• Minimal touching/manipulation. The goal here is to minimize the number of things that would need to be touched, so while I'm generally a die-hard flapped-bag person, flaps are out, as are too many zippers/snaps/pulls/pockets. The less touching necessary, the better.
    • Super lightweight because...
    • Wearable around the neck, rather than as a crossbody/shoulder bag. I'm also a die-hard crossbody person, but the need for minimal touching/manipulation includes the inevitable bag-shifting around one's body as you move around a store or space, crouch, lean, lift, haul bags, etc.*
    • Super easy to clean and dry, since it's going to get washed after every excursion.
    • (Relatively) Comfortable to wear, particularly by a woman of size (round and busty). Even though the necessary supplies are relatively light (5 oz total maybe?), they're bound to bounce against my sternum and chest a few dozen times. (Fortunately the Clorox wipes provide some cushioning.) But skinny neck cords can be uncomfortable and chafing after a while, and that inevitable supplies-bounce thing will only make matters worse.

Options I've considered:

Passport Pouch - Originally I was thinking a Passport Pouch would be perfect since it's lightweight, designed for neck-wearing, and requires minimal touching to open it (and could maybe just hang open, if necessary). But in addition to being out of stock, I fear it (understandably) wouldn't be deep enough for the sanitizer + Clorox wipes + gloves -- at least not without jamming things in so tightly that you'd have to touch the bag a lot to get things in and out, which defeats the purpose. If the PP were deeper, though, it would probably be perfect.

Cubelet - Since the Cubelet has O-rings on both sides, it could definitely be worn as a neck bag, and it comes really close since everything can fit with the zipper closed but those annoying hand wipes. It's also narrow enough to keep the hand sanitizer mostly upright. Having to manipulate the zippers is not perfect, but it's still pretty minimal, and If hand wipes are necessary, the zipper could always be left open and the wipes just stick out of it. But you'd have to hope nothing falls out when you lean over (such as reaching for produce, to a bottom shelf, in and out of a trunk), and I do fear having wipes sticking out like that would just make me look like I'm stealing stuff. Still, I recognize the wipes packet is an annoying anomaly, and since the PP is more shallow depth-wise, this one is my top contender right now if I could find a neck strap. (Potentially chafey, but 1" shoulder strap maybe?)

Travel/Everyday Cubelet or PIKA - Both of these look like ready-made answers to my problem and seem like they could be worn around the neck if needed; but while the organization they each have is awesome, it adds both more touching/handling for access and more weight than the PP or Cubelet, plus more nooks and crannies to have to clean. The magnetic closure on the PIKA seems good, but it's also the heaviest of the bunch and, even at my size, probably too big for the purpose. So the PIKA is out, but I'm keeping the EC in mind as a maybe, but wishing it was lighter, a little smaller, and simplified.

3DOC - I considered this briefly because of the two O-rings, but it's too big/wide to wear because a. the hand sanitizer would tip over all the time (taller works better than wider here); and b. breasts. Also a bit c. it looks less like a neck bag and more like you're a cartoon St. Bernard.

Ideally I think I'm looking for a kind of 21-century medicine bag: a cross between the Passport Pouch and Cubelet, preferably in halcyon or ballistic 210 for lightness and ease of cleaning, with a comfortable neck strap that (blue-skying) maybe has a bit of padding at back of the neck (like the padded Shop Bag handle) for cushioning and to help keep the bag from shifting around a lot.

I've done some searching online, but so far the Passport Pouch and Cubelet are actually the closest I've found to covering most bases. But has anyone tried carrying such supplies in a PP or wearing the Cubelet as a neck bag by any chance? Have I perhaps overlooked any options? Is anyone else looking for one of these types of bags as well?

This is going to be my life now for many, many months to come, so I appreciate any and all ideas while I figure out new supplies and systems for staying on top of things in this weird new world of ours.
    Last edited by kmw; 03-29-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this isn't a TB product, but would something like a travel scarf work for you? I've got a couple of Speakeasy ones I've been wearing around the house to keep my stuff close at hand during these braless times. The pocket is fairly large (9"x9" and holds my giant cell phone, the infinity scarf format distributes the load more comfortably than a thin strap (see: giant cell phone), and it's washable.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggestion:
    Use a piece of cardstock, manila file folder, cereal box, etc. to make a simple tube sized to fit inside an unzipped Everyday/Travel Cubelet... tape or staples to hold the shape. Use it once, then recycle.
    Shorten the strap enough to wear around your neck... if the strap bothers you, fold a washcloth or bandana to make a protector. Use tape to secure it so that you can easily disassemble and toss in laundry.
    If you only carry the minimum and use the tube to hold open the main compartment, you should be able to fairly quickly get to want you want/need.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @kmw ,
    I’ll check out the configuration of the Passport Pouch, but how about one of the Travel or Yarn Stuff Sacks, with something like a cardboard or plastic collar in the bottom of the sack to hold it open (less touching), and using the new small swivel Carabiners to attach to a neck strap? If it were a Yarn Stuff Sack you immediately get two attachment points — one where the snapshook lets you hook it to the O-ring, and you could loop another either near the drawstring or through the yarn guide.

I’ll do some checking.

The Pika’s main pocket has a magnetic closure. You’d either want to make sure that stays open (maybe by putting one of the tall wipe packs through the opening), or figure out another way to access pocket contents easily. And the Halcyon versions might be more washable/lighter.

The travel Cubelet has zipper edges, but you could peel them back to keep it open, and use either Halcyon or the 210d Ballistic Nylon.

Just thinking out loud.

moriond

ETA: Yes, @G42 ’s suggestion was what I was thinking of to keep the pouch open to minimize handling. It doesn’t need to go all the way up — just tall enough to keep the pouch open, but not extend over the top, because you don’t want to touch it too much.
    Last edited by moriond; 03-29-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also, what accessories do you already have ? If you have different size yarn stuff sacks, etc. to hand, we can experiment with what’s available and you’ll be able to tell right away what’s likely to work best for you.

moriond

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might look a little odd, but what about a travel tray suspended by a lanyard of your choice? (using the end of the drawstring to attach your lanyard) Its sort of like a travel stuff sack but more open, and I think your items might be a bit more accessible. Very light, but perhaps more 3d than you were looking for.

My other (non Tom Bihn) suggestion would be to look into furoshiki- Japanese cloth folding. There are instructions out there for all kinds of containers- perhaps you can fashion something out of a bandana/piece of cloth to hold your items. You would likely need a ready made lanyard or a second bandana to somehow afix to go around your neck.

There's a diagram in this article: https://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blo...bric-wrapping/
    Last edited by sturbridge; 03-29-2020 at 04:15 PM.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Truck in Nebulous Gray, Co-Pilot in Black Halcyon/Iberian,Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    It might look a little odd, but what about a travel tray suspended by a lanyard of your choice? (using the end of the drawstring to attach your lanyard) Its sort of like a travel stuff sack but more open, and I think your items might be a bit more accessible. Very light, but perhaps more 3d than you were looking for.

My other (non Tom Bihn) suggestion would be to look into furoshiki- Japanese cloth folding. There are instructions out there for all kinds of containers- perhaps you can fashion something out of a bandana/piece of cloth to hold your items. You would likely need a ready made lanyard or a second bandana to somehow afix to go around your neck.
    it’s a good thought for the Travel tray, but the three-d nature would make is less stable for a simple neck carry to easily access contents. My concern about Furoshiki (and also the travel scarf carry suggestion in the second post), is the amount of handling you’d need to do while out and about to access contents. And I don’t have experience with the type of chest shape constraints being described here as a factor, so I need some more feedback before giving more suggestions.

I will say that the 1” strap (which I personally find more comfortable and less likely to tangle) for around the neck wear can work for most of these configurations (already checked with travel Cubelet, Passport Pouch, etc. and can even work with the P.I.K.A. If you use small swivel Carabiners as an intermediary.

moriond

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would something like a fabric water bottle holder work? And it would be washable. I am imagining something almost like a climbing chalk bag style bag for your purposes, and I am not sure if a travel tray might be too shallow.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 03-29-2020 at 04:47 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was my quickie attempt to show a bandana as I mentioned in prior post. Size dependent on the size you start with of course. Openings on both sides to put things into. Easily washed/sterilized and cheap.

(took out link to picture, as it wasn't uploading correctly. ) the picture showed a bandana folded on the diagonal. The wide part on the bottom and the point was tied around a lanyard ring. I made a knot on each of the edges on the bottom, so it was basically a triangular bag with access from both sides.
    Last edited by sturbridge; 03-30-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Truck in Nebulous Gray, Co-Pilot in Black Halcyon/Iberian,Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much, everyone!

@Ms. Ferret @sturbridge Like @moriond , I fear the amount of handling a scarf/cloth solution might require. With a scarf/cloth plus mask (disposable or washable) together, though, I might also end up choking myself. Smilie Definitely something I'll look into though. Thanks!

@sturbridge , your attachment is coming up broken (though I thank you for the effort!), but from your description, were you going for the katakake fukuro option in the link you provided?

Oh, and thanks for the reminder: I did also consider a Small Travel Tray, but you're right about it being on the 3-D side. It's both awkward to wear and to access -- and kinda like wearing a feedbag. Stick Out Tongue

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Suggestion:
    Use a piece of cardstock, manila file folder, cereal box, etc. to make a simple tube sized to fit inside an unzipped Everyday/Travel Cubelet... tape or staples to hold the shape. Use it once, then recycle.
    Shorten the strap enough to wear around your neck... if the strap bothers you, fold a washcloth or bandana to make a protector. Use tape to secure it so that you can easily disassemble and toss in laundry.
    If you only carry the minimum and use the tube to hold open the main compartment, you should be able to fairly quickly get to want you want/need.
    Intriguing. Thanks, @G42 (and @moriond , too) -- I'll have a think on that.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @kmw ,
    I’ll check out the configuration of the Passport Pouch, but how about one of the Travel or Yarn Stuff Sacks, with something like a cardboard or plastic collar in the bottom of the sack to hold it open (less touching), and using the new small swivel Carabiners to attach to a neck strap? If it were a Yarn Stuff Sack you immediately get two attachment points — one where the snapshook lets you hook it to the O-ring, and you could loop another either near the drawstring or through the yarn guide.
    Thank you! I don't have any Stuff Sacks on hand (just small and large Travel Trays), but they're an interesting option to think about that hadn't occurred to me, particularly since the Yarn ones are more ovoid.

Oh, as for the chest constraints: Were I to be featured in a Lifetime movie, Camryn Manheim would be the most obvious choice to cast (though I'm more pear-shaped/hippier).

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    Would something like a fabric water bottle holder work? And it would be washable. I am imagining something almost like a climbing chalk bag style bag for your purposes, and I am not sure if a travel tray might be too shallow.
    Interesting! I never would've thought of that (and until this moment, I'd never even heard of a climbing chalk bag!). Still a bit 3-D, but less so than a TT. Adding to my list to look at. Thank you!

Thank you so much, all!! You've already been hugely helpful, and I really appreciate the additional brain cells.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does it have to be a neck bag? Could a fanny pack work instead for easy and minimal handling if you left the zipper open?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kmw: "Also a bit c. it looks less like a neck bag and more like you're a cartoon St. Bernard."

kmw thank you so much for the laugh of the day, it is very timely!

The 1" shoulder strap or, the 5/8 Shoulder Strap made with 5/8" nylon webbing, I call it, the extra long key strap, would be good.

I also think that the Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack would be just the ticket for your purpose.
    Size 1:
    External Dimensions:
    3.9" (w) x 6.3" (h) x 2.6" (d) / 100 (w) x 160 (h) x 65 (d) mm
    Weight:
    200 Halcyon: 0.8 oz / 20 grams
    210 Ballistic: 1.0 oz / 28 grams
    Volume:
    75 cubic inches / 1.0 liters
    https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...14970159431743

They are only available in ballistic, right now, but I think this is an advantage, it is less floppy than halcyon, good to keep the hand sanitizer bottle upright.

You can use a Swivel Double Carabiner https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...31890920734783

One side clipped below the little squarish TB logo tab that hold the drawstring opening together and the other side holding both sides of the he 1" shoulder strap or, the 5/8 Shoulder Strap clips.

I have the same built as you and use my size one Travel Stuff Sack all the time, in my EDC.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m wondering if you need to carry whole packages with you. Can a few wipes be in a sandwich sized plastic bag and refilled in the car? You could also have one out to clean car handles or carts too. I also think a fanny pack would keep items closer to you and look less obvious than something swinging around your neck. Perhaps a PCSB? Could have zipper open, pocket pouches for sanitizer

Love the St. Bernard image!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again so much, everyone. I so much appreciate all the thinking!

I'm working on refining a Cubelet-round-the-neck method this week that has been mostly successful, if taking some trial and error, but definitely incorporating some of your ideas and suggestions! My biggest issue right now, funny enough, is less the bag itself but the fact that it's already tough enough to look down past my chest into any bag, and now it's even more difficult to see downward while wearing a mask, AND with the added bonus of my glasses fogging up at certain angles while trying to look down. I'm starting to feel like a plus-sized Charlie Chaplin.

@Sandnitaus @BrendaH Fanny pack would probably be perfect solution for most people, but I've never felt comfortable in them, and when I have tried them, have always found myself having to rummage in them to find anything.

@backpack Thanks for the Stuff Sack thinking! I can't quite figure out how I'd keep the bag oriented upright, though. I tested a similar bag (from a headset) which has pull loops on both sides, and it was passable though a bit awkward, but the two pull loops also make it symmetrical, so at least it would remain upright while wearing. But since the Stuff Sack only has the one pull loop, even connecting it with the logo tab, how do you keep it from always being tipped over on an angle?

Thanks again, everyone. Photos soon on what I've managed!
    Last edited by kmw; 04-07-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @kmw , I just posted a link in another thread to an article on How to Wear a Face Mask Without Fogging Up Your Glasses. It's definitely an issue! My eyesight is good enough that I could go without my glasses when I'm wearing a mask, but I'd rather keep them on so they can act like eye-masks for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast