Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Currently Traveling
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Bihn Mask Video Tutorial

Hello!

Love that Tom Bihn released their own mask pattern. Making a bunch to donate, so thought I'd put together a quick video walkthrough with some ideas around assembly ear loops, and the nose pocket.

Hope this is helpful.

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jblock View Post
    Hello!

Love that Tom Bihn released their own mask pattern. Making a bunch to donate, so thought I'd put together a quick video walkthrough with some ideas around assembly ear loops, and the nose pocket.

Hope this is helpful.
    Great video! Thanks for creating it. I'm not sure my cats would be any more enthusiastic than your is about a face mask.
    Spring

Forum Member
    Currently Traveling
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xyppy View Post
    Great video! Thanks for creating it. I'm not sure my cats would be any more enthusiastic than your is about a face mask.
    He promptly shook it off and went for a snack Smilie

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and never knew about t-shirt yarn. I'm gonna make some tonight. Just got done watching Youtube vids about how to make it. Thanks!!
    Spring

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jblock, thank you for a very well done video. Gives me confidence to give it a try! I have a variety of good quality cotton fabric washed, ironed and ready to go. For nose piece I have some fine florist wire that may be too fine even doubled so ordered soft bristle pipe cleaners from an ebay seller that should be here Monday. Have two cotton tshirts for "yarn" ear loops or ties. I've been using a mask made from a tshirt sleeve with matching ties that works ok but am ready to move up to a "real" mask. I'm really hoping the tshirt yarn works for ear loops because I think I'd prefer loops to ties.

I was able to purchase a TB mask today ... originally had one black and one blue in my cart along with the matching giveaways but the black sold out before purchase went through. Luckily was able to purchase the blue so I'll have a TB original.

We live in a 55 and better community but many of us are over 70. My kitty corner across the street neighbors are in their nineties, still living at home, driving, doing their own yard work. They are our heros and will be recipients of my first acceptable homemade masks. LOL time to quit typing and start sewing.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jblock , thanks a whole bunch.

I do not sew, but I enjoyed your video.

And you cat is very patient.

Forum Member
    Currently Traveling
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xyppy - I just learned about t-shirt yarn myself and I'm obsessed.

kjquilts - Of course! Definitely give it a try! I'm sure your neighbors will love the masks Smilie

Walker - thank you! He's a saint.

Tom also just dropped an official vid, and I think his nose pocket application is much better than mine! I also worked out a filter pocket, so might try to get something up about that too. Happy sewing everyone.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much, jblock! This is really helpful. I'm a relative novice with the sewing machine (and interpreting the words and symbols used on sewing patterns), and having you walk through it is so helpful.

I do have a bit of a block in wrapping my head around the black nose piece, though - this may be a dumb question, but is this piece complete in itself, or are you meant to insert a wire/pipe cleaner afterwards? And if so, does the wire go *through* the black nose piece you attached here - that is, diagonally over the bridge of the nose? Or does it go vertically down through the whole front of the mask, from top (at the bridge of the nose) to bottom (below the chin). Am I making sense? In any case, this is extremely helpful, and many thanks! PS. Love your cat! Big Grin
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Antonia The black “tape” is just a pass-through pocket for wire to be inserted to hold the shape across the bridge of the nose. If you look at the product page photos, there’s an example of how the twist tie that they ship with the masks goes in.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    @Antonia The black “tape” is just a pass-through pocket for wire to be inserted to hold the shape across the bridge of the nose. If you look at the product page photos, there’s an example of how the twist tie that they ship with the masks goes in.
    Perfect - thank you! Tom Bihn Mask Video Tutorial I’ll take a look. There’s just something in the spatial awareness part of sewing that I struggle with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Currently Traveling
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! The pipe-cleaner or wire goes across the bridge of the nose. When you sew the nose piece on, there will be an opening at either end that you can slide something into. Helps to form a better fit/seal to the face.

Tom's method is easier to attach it. Glad the video was helpful!

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, jblock! I managed to make one this evening. Tom Bihn Mask Video Tutorial Tom probably could have made forty masks in the time I took, and although my effort isn’t as sleek as TB’s, it is perfectly serviceable and the jersey ear loops are comfortable. The cupped design is also more comfortable/breathing-friendly than my previous masks. I added a layer of Pellon SF 101 interfacing to both pieces as an extra barrier. I did struggle with understanding the structure as I was making it, but kept rewinding the videos and trying to trust the process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made 14 masks tonight with t-shirt yarn ear loops. These will be given out tomorrow to friends who will give them to their friends. And I made one extra for myself and made use of leftover elastic shoelaces for ear loops. (The t-shirt yarn ear loops are more comfortable.) I try to experiment a little bit but not too much because I need to keep making masks. But experimenting keeps mask making fun.

Tom Bihn Mask Video Tutorial-fifteen-png
    Spring

Forum Member
    Currently Traveling
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome work guys! They all look fabulous!

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a really funny video about making face masks.

Just make sure you go to the bathroom before you watch it.
    Spring

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast