Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One bad travel packing list for synik 30

Hi,

I own Synapse 25, but have been looking at the synik 30 for one bag travel. I have watched all the YouTube videos and and packed out bags on the forum, but can't find one packed exactly the way I want to pack mine. I was wondering if anyone that has the bag could weigh in on how well I could pack the following items.

Clothes for 5 days ( I am 5'4" woman, medium weight) 1 pair jeans, 5 pairs underwear, 3 pair of socks, 5 shirts, 1 Pair of lounge pants, 1 bra)

1 pair of shoes (either heels or sandals) I will be wearing tennis shoes while traveling

Water bottle (preferably 32oz takeya) but could change this

Toiletry kit and liquids bag ( I'm currently using the ebags medium porter toiletry kit, I think it will be too large for the bottom Pocket, but could be wrong)

Small wallet and phone ( pixel 3) this currently fits easily in the small pocket of my synapse

Small tech kit - 10000mah aukey slim battery, type c cable, small anker ac adapter, jabra elite headphones, pen.

Sunglasses

Snack (maybe)

Compact jacket - folds to about the size of a water bottle, or could possibly be left flat and put in laptop pocket

I know this is a lot, but if anyone has insight, please let me know

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No laptop though? Are you looking at the synik 30 for the additional 5 liters of space? Because I believe at least part of the 5 liters is taken up by the laptop sleeve and built in pass through and frame sheet. I could be wrong as I only have a synapse 25 myself, but I think itís actually less than 5liters extra space. Let me ask you another question, when you pack this load out into your synapse what area is giving you trouble? I travel with a similar load in my synapse as well, maybe I can help you stream the synapse better. I will assemble a similar pack at my house and see where I get. Let me know whats the trouble, a pocket in the bag, or the shape/packability of a packing cube/organizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many liters is the tech kit? I want to find something equivalent around the house to measure that.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bellroy classic pouch

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    No laptop though? Are you looking at the synik 30 for the additional 5 liters of space? Because I believe at least part of the 5 liters is taken up by the laptop sleeve and built in pass through and frame sheet. I could be wrong as I only have a synapse 25 myself, but I think itís actually less than 5liters extra space. Let me ask you another question, when you pack this load out into your synapse what area is giving you trouble? I travel with a similar load in my synapse as well, maybe I can help you stream the synapse better. I will assemble a similar pack at my house and see where I get. Let me know whats the trouble, a pocket in the bag, or the shape/packability of a packing cube/organizer.

No, laptop. Yes mainly for getting extra space and the clamshell design. Main issue is with the main compartment

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What size shoes? (I can match everything else, but I can pack shoes even into the Night Flight Travel Duffel, since I’m at most US Size 6 — this could make a slight difference in what accessory I’d use for packing shoes, and where I’d put it.

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    What size shoes? (I can match everything else, but I can pack shoes even into the Night Flight Travel Duffel, since Iím at most US Size 6 ó this could make a slight difference in what accessory Iíd use for packing shoes, and where Iíd put it.

moriond

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím bored so I figured ďwhat the hell, Iíll give it a tryĒ. Iíve assembled your pack listís equivalent with what I have in my house. I am slightly shorter than you at 5ft and my clothes are sized usually medium. I have a black halcyon wasabi synapse 25 with frame-sheet (a must).

I figure at least one those 5 shirts needed to be a tee shirt the other four were cotton blends or linen. My socks are small smartwool ones so even though you listed three I packed 5 to simulate the size of regular cotton ones. The undies are cotton too. One pair of jeans and yoga pants as lounge pants (thatís all I have).

All of this I fit into an A30 packing cube backpack with room to spare, which is saying a lot because those of you who have the pcbp know how much space is taken away when folding inside out into cube mode, plus I have the waist strap and and after-markt sternum strap attached onto it. I digress, the large packing cube fit into the bag with also lots of room to spare.

For your ebags toiletry I used an l.l. Bean toiletry bag Iíve had more than 10 years. I placed that along the back on top of the cube at the top of the bag.

Next I borrowed bfís tech kit, I put it next to a small ghost whale for size reference. I slid that into the interior pouch. Iíll be using the gw to hold my sunglasses later.

I donít own sandals or heels, I thought flip flops might be too thin for what your looking for so I put a pair of tennies in to act in place. I just put them on top of the cube down towards the bottom. Again, there is still lots of room.

Here it is zipped up.

I wasnít sure what size packable jacket. I tried two different kinds, both fit great, a medium columbia fleece and then an l.l.Bean packable rain jacket. I always put my jackets into the chin pocket.

Finally, I took the pics on my phone so I used an ereader for the front pocket for the ďpixel 3Ē and the sunglasses in the side in gw and last substitution was a 20 ounce water bottle is the largest we had, you can see there is tons of room for a bigger one easily.

To solve your snack dilemma I want to share a hack I have been using for a while. I have a side effect attached to the waist belt of the bag that I put my boarding pass, snacks, headphones, kickstand, and phone in. I think you could add this to yours to have snacks.

Here I am wearing it. Let me know if you want me to test anything else out or swap something or whatever. There was still a lot of room, this was not packed full by any means. The key to all of this, is the packing cubes, right tool for the right job.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    Iím bored so I figured ďwhat the hell, Iíll give it a tryĒ. Iíve assembled your pack listís equivalent with what I have in my house. I am slightly shorter than you at 5ft and my clothes are sized usually medium. I have a black halcyon wasabi synapse 25 with frame-sheet (a must).

I figure at least one those 5 shirts needed to be a tee shirt the other four were cotton blends or linen. My socks are small smartwool ones so even though you listed three I packed 5 to simulate the size of regular cotton ones. The undies are cotton too. One pair of jeans and yoga pants as lounge pants (thatís all I have).

All of this I fit into an A30 packing cube backpack with room to spare, which is saying a lot because those of you who have the pcbp know how much space is taken away when folding inside out into cube mode, plus I have the waist strap and and after-markt sternum strap attached onto it. I digress, the large packing cube fit into the bag with also lots of room to spare.

For your ebags toiletry I used an l.l. Bean toiletry bag Iíve had more than 10 years. I placed that along the back on top of the cube at the top of the bag.

Next I borrowed bfís tech kit, I put it next to a small ghost whale for size reference. I slid that into the interior pouch. Iíll be using the gw to hold my sunglasses later.

I donít own sandals or heels, I thought flip flops might be too thin for what your looking for so I put a pair of tennies in to act in place. I just put them on top of the cube down towards the bottom. Again, there is still lots of room.

Here it is zipped up.

I wasnít sure what size packable jacket. I tried two different kinds, both fit great, a medium columbia fleece and then an l.l.Bean packable rain jacket. I always put my jackets into the chin pocket.

Finally, I took the pics on my phone so I used an ereader for the front pocket for the ďpixel 3Ē and the sunglasses in the side in gw and last substitution was a 20 ounce water bottle is the largest we had, you can see there is tons of room for a bigger one easily.

To solve your snack dilemma I want to share a hack I have been using for a while. I have a side effect attached to the waist belt of the bag that I put my boarding pass, snacks, headphones, kickstand, and phone in. I think you could add this to yours to have snacks.

Here I am wearing it. Let me know if you want me to test anything else out or swap something or whatever. There was still a lot of room, this was not packed full by any means. The key to all of this, is the packing cubes, right tool for the right job.

This is fantastic, thank you!

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve completely bought onto the TB ecosystem, so normally I would use a 3doc for toiletries, small snake charmer for techie things, mini gw for first aid kit, and a small halcyon pouch for my passport. I usually keep my toiletries in the water bottle pocket, (unless flying, then I take a disposable bottle that I reuse the whole trip). Other than those few differences we have similar packing lists. This was fun!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have there been any post or videos showing the size difference between the synapse 25 and synik 30?