Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommendation for something to hold a checkbook

Any suggestions or recommendations on what could be used for a standard checkbook?

The small ghost whale pouch I have can't quite zip close. it gets stuck at the corner.

The small OP seems like it should fit based on the size, but the zipper seems to get in the way and I can't get it into the pouch.

I am using a medium size OP, but that's with a Rhodia dotpad is really overkill. I'll try and send pics tomorrow.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bigger than you probably want for only a checkbook, but as a related use case:

I use a 210 ballistic Everyday/Travel Cubelet as a mini/traveling 'home office'. Two checkbooks and small notebook in the main compartment; notes, pen, pencil, books of stamps, extra membership type cards, etc. in the inside pocket.
    Rolled up strap in the exterior pocket.

I use a grab handle on one exterior o-ring to make it easier yank & grab... it lives in whatever my EDC bag is and moves easily from one to the other.

It usually travels with me when I work travel too... every once in a while, doing that, I dump everything out in the hotel room, attach the normal strap, and use it as a bag when I go out.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @louisvilledanhays ,

A standard passport pouch will just about exactly fit your checkbook (even if it’s thick). You can also use the original version of the Passport Pouch if you have it, although the edge of your checkbook will stick very slightly above the top by about 0.25 inches. (Note: This makes sense in the context that @G42 of using the (used to be called Travel Cubelet) now renamed Everyday Cubelet, because that can carry not only many sets of passports, but a whole bunch of other items as well. And, since you were talking about your Rhodia Dotpad, I’ll just point out that I answered a question (#4 dated 08-11-2015) by @jujigatame about the Rhodia No. 13 pad (10.5 x 14.8 cm/ 4.1” x 5.8”) not fitting in the original version of the Passport Pouch, with comparison pictures. It does fit into the redesigned (2018) version of the Passport Pouch — you can even also just fit in a checkbook, too, but 5.5" (w) x 7.1" (h) / 140 (w) x 180 (h) mm dimensions of the redesigned Passport Pouch are a lot smaller than the Medium Organizer Pouch (10.2" (w) x 7.1" (h) / 260 (w) x 180 (h) mm).

The Updated (2018) Passport Pouchthread has pictures that compare the old and new Passport Pouch sizes, and I have a post (#9, dated 02-10-2018) showing a comparison of the original Passport Pouch with the Travel Cubelet (5.7” (w) x 7.3” (h) x 3” (d) / 145 (w) x 185 (h) x 75 (d) mm) in that thread. You can see just from the quoted dimensions that the 3” thickness of the EC (Everyday Cubelet), as well as its larger cross-section (5.7” x 7.3” vs 5.5” x 7.1”) compared to the current version Passport Pouch make it smaller to use. The Medium Organizer Pouch you are using is 10.2" (w) x 7.1" (h), or twice as big as the Passport Pouch.

You’ll have to wait for these to be restocked.

HTH,

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-06-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @louisvilledanhays

OK. Here's a picture showing checkbooks in comparison with the current version Passport Pouch and the original version of the Passport Pouch in the top row:
    Recommendation for something to hold a checkbook-img_4846-jpg
    From left to right in top row: standard passport pouch (2018 version) in Northwest Sky Halcyon, with checkbook in a leather checkbook holder lying on top, previous version passport pouch with RFID lining in Island Halcyon, to the right is the back of a standard set of checks.

Bottom row shows a Small Double Organizer Pouch in Wasabi Halcyon, a Standard passport pouch (2018 version) in Iberian Halcyon, small swivel carabiners (in Island) that can fit the O-rings (or you can attach the pouch to a key strap directly), Everyday Cubelet in Northwest Sky Halcyon for comparison.

Basically, the current Passport Pouch profile is about the size of the Small Organizer Pouch cross-section, but because it opens at the top, and there's no zipper, you don't have to worry about sizing up to fit a checkbook. If you're not using a Checkbook cover, but just a bare set of checks, you can fit them into the Passport Pouch just fine -- even into the older original version, with the top just sticking up a smidgen. My checkbook with the leather cover will also fit into the original Passport Pouch, but it will stick up more at the top.

If you go to the Everyday Cubelet, as @G42 suggests, the 200d Halcyon version will give you the lightest, and most compressible version. I've had to link to the Island version, because Northwest Sky doesn't appear in the current menu of available ECs.

HTH,

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-07-2020 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Had to reupload image

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions. May throw in an extra small GW when order start back up and order it in a fabric that might be more forgiving than the Deep Blue 525 Ballistic on I was trying. It's sooooo close.

Thank you again.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledanahys View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. May throw in an extra small GW when order start back up and order it in a fabric that might be more forgiving than the Deep Blue 525 Ballistic on I was trying. It's sooooo close.

Thank you again.
    If you want to use a Small Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch for your checkbook, order the Coyote Mesh version. It will let you just zip up the checkbook. In general, the mesh versions of the Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches will accommodate larger size contents more easily than the 525d Ballistic Nylon versions -- you may have an easier time if your GWOP is 210d Ballistic Nylon, or 630d recycled, but the mesh versions are the easiest of all to fit maximally sized contents.

Here are pictures showing the fit with a checkbook inside an open and zipped closed Small Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch.
    Recommendation for something to hold a checkbook-img_4849-jpg

Recommendation for something to hold a checkbook-img_4848-jpg

This (Coyote Mesh) is also the Small GWOP that I showed in the pictures of my solution (#14, dated 10-14-2019) for carrying "5 different medicines, each in their own respective bottle", along with yogurt, wallet, cutlery and phone in a Side Kick. In the pictures of the GWOP (inside the Side Kick) I could have full zip closed the GWOP. It's left with the top open so you can see the individual pill containers have full label identifications (visible through the mesh). My solution (with an additional source of the smaller vials given in post #16) would have preserved the prescription label information -- something that I consider important, in the case of flying on airlines, but also in the case of an emergency or accident, where it would be important to identify the exact medication and physician. Again, in cases of close fits, I would always use the mesh version for the pouches.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding. TY!!! Just added one to m y wish list. Can't wait to order...