Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

How to pronounce Hai Vu: Hi Voo
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to rain proof the Synapse 25

I love my Synapse 25: it is light and roomy. However, I noticed that while the material is waterproof, rain water did manage to get into the bag through the zipper. Is there any tips out there to cope with this? Thanks, all.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htv2020 View Post
    I love my Synapse 25: it is light and roomy. However, I noticed that while the material is waterproof, rain water did manage to get into the bag through the zipper. Is there any tips out there to cope with this? Thanks, all.
    Hi and welcome to the Forums @htv2020 !

The zippers on the Synapse 25, per the product page, are "#8 YKK Aquaguard® water-repellent zippers". Note that they're water repellent, not water proof. Lots of folks have shared stories around the Forums about being caught in rain with no ill affect however.

How old is your bag and which material? It may be time to renew the coatings.

Here's the FAQ: https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq23

Also the materials glossary: https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, The zipper is water repellent, but not waterproof. It works well in most cases, but when the rain came hard (I used to work in Seattle and walked part of the way), then some water did manage to get into the bag. I guess if they design the bag with some sort of flap to cover the zipper, then it should hold up better.

My bag is relatively new at about 1-2 years of age.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a rain cover that I use if I'm out in really harsh conditions or have something (like camera gear) I want extra protection for. It doesn't fit perfectly but more than well enough to cover all the important parts and add another layer of protection. I think it's a sea-to-summit brand but I don't remember for sure. I emailed customer service and they were able to recommend a couple and I just bought it online at REI.

Packs down small and fits in one of the side pockets so it's always there when I need it.
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30, Monster Truck, Travel Tray

“...a book is a fragile creature, it suffers the wear of time, it fears rodents, the elements, clumsy hands. If for a hundred and a hundred years everyone had been able freely to handle our codices, the majority of them would no longer exist. So the librarian protects them not only against mankind but also against nature, and devotes his life to this war with the forces of oblivion, the enemy of truth.”
    ― Umberto Eco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in Japan a few years ago with my Synapse 25 Guide's edition when I was caught in a typhoon. I did not notice any leaking from the zippers but the fabric was damp through and through and some of the contents were damp as well. It was, after all, a typhoon. I ended up ducking into a Montbell store and picking up a cheap rain cover that saved the day. Many companies sell such rain covers and I strongly urge you to pick one up if you plan on walking around in a typhoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rain cover seems to be a good idea. Thank you all.
    - Hai Vu