Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @BigBadD ,

So glad you got your Monster Truck before they sold out this round!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadD View Post
    I finally succumbed and got a Monster Truck when it was recently restocked in my favourite aubergine 525. Very pleased to have got it delivered today. For once I am looking forward to going to do weekly supermarket shop to try it out. Seems perfect size and practical. I see this as complementing the selection of unzipped Shop Bags I will continue to bring with me as well. Also got some large V2 and V3 masks and will be trying those out, seem to be great fit.
    My Truck orders showed up, and I not only got to see Constellation 525d Ballistic Nylon vs. 630d recycled Logic Blue (also in the Icon), but i also got the Truck in Logic Blue. @G42 posted a comparison of the colors a few days ago, when I said I was still waiting for my order to arrive to see this:
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Here's the Logic Blue 630 recycled (left) vs the Constellation Blue 525 (right) in cloudy daylight

She further replied to a query by @backpack about the two textures:
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Logic Blue is lighter/less saturated than Constellation... Constellation is basically a French Blue.

Not sure what you mean by 'softer'... the 630 recycled is more supple/flexible - less stiff - than the 525 ballistics. I don't know that I'd think to characterize it as 'softer to the touch' in terms of actual tactile feel....

It's not apples to apples, but 630 recycled is closer to 210 ballistic or parapack to me than similar to the 525 ballistic.
    So, what I want to say is that I love the texture of the 630d recycled fabric and the Logic Blue Truck. In weight, it’s intermediate between 210d Ballistic and 525d Ballistic — closer to 525d in terms of the actual weight of the bag, I think, based on looking at specs for the Icon, HLTs, and Everyday Cubelets in the different materials, since we don’t have the weight specs for this new fabric in the Trucks. But it’s more pliable than 525d Ballistic while having better structural support than 210d Ballistic, and it feels smoother and more cloth like to the touch than Ballistic Nylon. (I had a lot of difficulty answering questions about the 630d recycled material when it debuted for the Icon. People reading the material description page would get hooked on the part that said ““basket weave” and so its texture has a slightly more coarse appearance, reminiscent of 1000d Cordura” and then think this would mean the fabric felt like 1000d Cordura, whereas I think they were trying to convey that it had the woven texture we associate with more cloth-like fabrics. The start of the current description emphasizes that “Our 630d fabric is a filament fabric, so it’s smooth like our 210d, 525d and 1050d ballistic, and doesn’t tend to collect pet hair or fussels.”) While I would select 525d Ballistic if I planned to on using it to store chains for my tires, heavier equipment and tools, or if there were a possibility that I’d drag the bag along concrete, I think there will be a lot of people, especially among the Ravelry crowd who use the Truck for knitting and other fiber arts, who are going to love the 630d recycled material option. Before they announced the retirement of the Pick-Up Truck I’d been hoping they would make that bag in 630d Recycled to have both Logic Blue and Seapine.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I love my original Trucks in 210 ballistic, but I'm carrying around yarn from place to place in my house, so I don't need something heavy.
    There isn’t as much actual weight savings with the 630d: Materials page gives 525d Ballisitic — 360 grams per square meter; 630d Recycled — 265 grams per square meter; 210d Ballistic — 195 grams per square meter, but it’s lighter than 525d Ballistic, has a smoother texture to my touch, more structured support than 210d Ballistic and more great color options.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 08-10-2020 at 01:43 PM.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before they announced the retirement of the Pick-Up Truck I’d been hoping they would make that bag in 630d Recycled to have both Logic Blue and Seapine.
    I would definitely would have bought another Pick Up Truck if I could have gotten it in Logic Blue, and I'm normally not one to have multiples of the same bag. I have a Ghost Whale in this fabric and I absolutely love both the color as well as the feel of the fabric. I have an Everyday Cubelet in the Nebulous recycled.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Truck in Nebulous Gray, Co-Pilot in Black Halcyon/Iberian,Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @Darcy

I see The Truck has nothing listed “In Production” ...will more be made in the near future?
    Monster Truck (Nebulous Gray) Cadet (Steel /NW Sky) Yeoman Duffel Mini (Burnt Orange) Yeoman Duffel Small (Steel)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Praise of the Truck Family

@Chris D. , the Truck availability has been updated this morning (8/18/2020): 13 colors/fabric combinations “will be restocked in mid-late July.”

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    @Chris D. , the Truck availability has been updated this morning (8/18/2020): 13 colors/fabric combinations “will be restocked in mid-late July.”
    Although the Truck did not disappear as quickly as the Monster Truck (which had not been available for a while), and although part of the recent rapid disappearances in stock was fueled by the recent shipment of the pre-release orders of the Syniks, it’s still a good idea to sign up for email notifications of any product that you’re really interested in.

moriond

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
    I see The Truck has nothing listed “In Production” ...will more be made in the near future?
    As @Walker and @moriond noted, I just updated the Truck page so you can sign up for In Production colors; note though that I also updated the restock timeline to be late 2020. We're currently planning out our production schedule (as best as we can plan during these ever-changing times!) and I hope to have more of an updated timeframe to share soon for the Truck (and other) restocks.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    As @Walker and @moriond noted, I just updated the Truck page so you can sign up for In Production colors; note though that I also updated the restock timeline to be late 2020. We're currently planning out our production schedule (as best as we can plan during these ever-changing times!) and I hope to have more of an updated timeframe to share soon for the Truck (and other) restocks.
    In Aubergine- yay! I’m pretty sure I’ll order one of those for my mom when it’s restocked.

Here’s my new Truck in recycled Nebulous holding our picnic items on Sunday:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2