Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?

In november 2018 I purchased a DLBP in Black 525d Ballistic nylon (my first TB purchase!), which unfortunately I decided to sell a little while ago... Now, many more TB purchases down the line, I was reminiscing on that original DLBP backpack and decided to purchase a new one, which was delivered last week. However, to my surprise the feel of the largest internal "sleeve pocket" is much more loose than I ever remember it being on that first copy of the DLBP I owned.

One of the selling points of that original DLBP for me was that I could stick my MacBook Pro in there and it would be held perfectly in place by the elastic of the pocket. With this new one however, it sags quite a lot.

I took some photos for illustration, where I turned it inside out for better visibility. That ruler is in centimeters, not inches. Smilie

Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?-01_yvdm-2084-0004-jpg
    Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?-02_yvdm-2084-0003-jpg
    Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?-03_yvdm-2084-0010-jpg
    Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?-04_yvdm-2084-0006-jpg
    Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?-05_yvdm-2084-0007-jpg
    Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?-06_yvdm-2084-0012-jpg

For anyone else owning a DLBP, how does this compare to yours? I understand that these bags are hand made and there is always a certain fault tolerance in any manufacturing process, so should this be considered within the allowable margins of error? Or was there perhaps a conscious design update increasing the size of that pocket?

FWIW, I also briefly owned a Halcyon 400d version of the DLBP along the way and purchased another ballistic DLBP (in 525d burnt orange) for a fellow forum member here in the Netherlands, so I have seen a number of Daylight Backpacks to compare against, which incidentally I still have some snaps of as well:

Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?-07_yvdm-2070-0006-jpg
    Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?-08_yvdm-2073-0003-jpg
    Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?-09_yvdm-2073-0171-jpg
    Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?-10_yvdm-2073-0173-jpg

Curious what you all think – should I just accept this as punishment for ever getting rid of my original DLBP, or did I receive a bit of an oddball copy? Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)
    EDC: Synapse 19 (Ballistic Black/Wasabi) and Side Effect (Black Halcyon/UV). Shopping & family stuff: Truck (1x Nebulous Grey, 1x Black), Large Zip-Top Shopping Bag (Northwest Sky Halcyon), Daylight Backpack (Black Halcyon/Northwest Sky). Travel: Western Flyer (Steel/Island), various Yeoman Duffels (small Burnt Orange, small Verde, small Steel, medium Coyote).

Germany
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like this is a design change. Here’s my newer DLBP in comparison to my very first (and quite beaten down) DLBP which is from 2015 I believe. The pocket on the new DLBP is much looser.

Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?-d54493a7-da9e-4feb-bcaa-7ce794eef84e-jpeg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Seems like this is a design change. Here’s my newer DLBP in comparison to my very first (and quite beaten down) DLBP which is from 2015 I believe. The pocket on the new DLBP is much looser.

Daylight Backpack (DLBP): excess play in internal pocket?-d54493a7-da9e-4feb-bcaa-7ce794eef84e-jpeg
    Interesting, thanks for checking and sharing those photos! Perhaps @Darcy could confirm if this was indeed a design update? If so, I'd be curious to know the reasoning behind this.

That said, it would have to have been made quite recently, as both the Burnt Orange and the black halcyon DLBP I mentioned were purchased in the last half year or so.
    Last edited by yvandermeer; 06-15-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    EDC: Synapse 19 (Ballistic Black/Wasabi) and Side Effect (Black Halcyon/UV). Shopping & family stuff: Truck (1x Nebulous Grey, 1x Black), Large Zip-Top Shopping Bag (Northwest Sky Halcyon), Daylight Backpack (Black Halcyon/Northwest Sky). Travel: Western Flyer (Steel/Island), various Yeoman Duffels (small Burnt Orange, small Verde, small Steel, medium Coyote).

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No design update; this looks to us to be a difference due to 210d vs. Halcyon lining and normal manufacturing variance.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.