Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bag for expedition travel

Just about to book our first post-COVID trip (2021) and am enjoying the anticipation. Weíre planning three weeks in Alaska, Seattle, and the San Juan islands. Iíd like to use my Synik but wonder if Iíll be taking a chance carrying a non-waterproof bag, especially in Alaska where weíll be spending a lot of time kayaking, etc.

Would love opinions on whether buying a rain cover would be sufficient or whether I should buy a completely waterproof pack.

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks have been traveling under much worse conditions with less capable gear for decades. Poncho, simple pack cover. Unless, of course, youíre just jonesiní for a new toy. Iíve had waterproof packs. I donít have any of them any longer. Too specialized and much heavier than uncoated fabrics.
    Last edited by Bogiesan; 06-17-2020 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typos

Seattle Teacher & Dad
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When are you coming? (I live in Seattle, travel often to the San Juan Islands, and occasionally to Alaska.)

If coming in the summer, especially July and August it is unlikely to be very wet in Washington state. The San Juans are usually especially dry...thereís no guarantee of course, but you should be fine. Alaska, it will depend on where: if youíre going to be in the SE Alaskan panhandle area, thatís a rainforest, and Iíve gotten soaked there often, even in summer. Couldnít hurt to have a rain cover if you think youíll be outside a lot.

If youíre coming out to the Pacific NW at any time other than summer, well, all bets are off... bring your rain coat. But it doesnít rain usually hard enough in Seattle to need a rain cover for the Synik (which I use daily).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Just what I wanted to hear. We are planning on late August, and will be in some of the rainforests, so I’ll pack a rain cover!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring a small dry sack to put any sensitive electronics for when you’re around water. Much easier to deal with than a rain cover, and guaranteed to keep your gear dry.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest picking up some dry bags for some of the most important items in your bag.
    https://seatosummitusa.com/collectio...proof-dry-bags
    I have two of these. A smaller one (I forget the actual size) for electronics or chargers and a larger one that I don't typically use. Most of the time I don't have stuff in these bags though, as it's just an extra step to getting things out, but they do work very well as an extra precaution.

I don't know how well it would work on TB bags, but you could also consider some external waterproofing like Nikwax. I've used this to make an older pair of shoes (that I'd already replaced) waterproof, and it's worked well enough.

Just depends on what you think you'll need. It doesn't sound like you plan on submerging the bag (and despite going kayaking it doesn't seem like you really must plan for it happening anyway), so standard precautions like a poncho (can go over yourself and the bag!), waterproofing, and dry bags should be fine. I do not personally like raincovers for my backpacks unless they are designed to be a perfect fit by the company - I have struggled with them too often otherwise.

Good luck and have fun!

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use exped dry bags when out in the rain all day at work. I don't bother with fully waterproof backpacks, as I'm in and out of my bag a lot, and if ii is raining once you open a waterproof backpack the rain gets in. I prefer to have multiple dry bags in different colours for essential/sensitive items and TB stuff sacks for spare clothing etc. Helps me stay organised too as I carry c 35 litres of gear daily.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

California
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a waterproof backpack cover with me for my S25 if I think it's going to rain. It won't holdup in monsoon downpours, but it's light and works pretty well.