Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Future of Synapse

Forgive me if this has already been addressed but what is the future of the Synapse?

My guess is that TB will discontinue this line since the Synapse would cannibalize the Synik.

Any thoughts?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinimalistTraveler View Post
    Forgive me if this has already been addressed but what is the future of the Synapse?

My guess is that TB will discontinue this line since the Synapse would cannibalize the Synik.

Any thoughts?
    Welcome to the Forums @MinimalistTraveler !

@Darcy should speak to this one.

FWIW, I don't think we've heard of plans to disco the Synapse line. I am not the only one to prefer the Synapses for their versatility, lower weight, lower cost. I would hazard a guess that since much of the construction seems similar, that it's a bigger issue on the Finished Goods inventory side of things vs production. With that being said, TB has said that they're moving some designs to a semi-retired status where they are made, but not as frequently, and as preorders vs stocked inventory.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums @MinimalistTraveler !

@Darcy should speak to this one.

FWIW, I don't think we've heard of plans to disco the Synapse line. I am not the only one to prefer the Synapses for their versatility, lower weight, lower cost. I would hazard a guess that since much of the construction seems similar, that it's a bigger issue on the Finished Goods inventory side of things vs production. With that being said, TB has said that they're moving some designs to a semi-retired status where they are made, but not as frequently, and as preorders vs stocked inventory.

I'm looking at the Synapse 25 because its the ideal size for minimalist travel and EDC. The Synik 30 is nice but over-kill for my needs. It's too big and I'm not certain that I need a clam shell for most of my activities. Synik 22 is too small. I don't believe TB will make a Synik 25.

It would be a shame if the Synapse line is discontinued.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinimalistTraveler View Post
    I'm looking at the Synapse 25 because its the ideal size for minimalist travel and EDC. The Synik 30 is nice but over-kill for my needs.
    I believe that's precisely why the Synapse line will stick around.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I remember Tom saying during that one facebook chat that the Synapse would stick around alongside the Synik. However, Darcy's also said that the Guide Edition Synapse is probably not going to be made anymore.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope the Synapse continues to be made. Product overlaps can be tricky to manage but it can be done especially since the TB catalog is driven by demand. Toyota sells the Camry and the Lexus ES which is based on the same model but tailored to different segments of the market.

I would love to see another run of the GE Synapse. I'd buy one.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While they seem similar on paper, they are pretty different in real life!

The Synapse 19 is light and fast. The Synik 22 is fully loaded. If I am going out for the day or for a hike, I prefer the Synapse. If I am traveling, I prefer the additional organization and space afforded by the Synik 22. Both make great day bags.

The Synapse 25 is big but still svelte. The Synik 30 is just big. I rarely use the Synapse 25 and only got to handle the Synik 30, but if I had a Synik 30 it would be the Big Trip Bag. It is designed to swallow all of your digital gear (camera, laptop, chargers) plus all of your clothing and toiletries. The 25 is a little more measured.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    While they seem similar on paper, they are pretty different in real life!

The Synapse 19 is light and fast. The Synik 22 is fully loaded. If I am going out for the day or for a hike, I prefer the Synapse. If I am traveling, I prefer the additional organization and space afforded by the Synik 22. Both make great day bags.

The Synapse 25 is big but still svelte. The Synik 30 is just big. I rarely use the Synapse 25 and only got to handle the Synik 30, but if I had a Synik 30 it would be the Big Trip Bag. It is designed to swallow all of your digital gear (camera, laptop, chargers) plus all of your clothing and toiletries. The 25 is a little more measured.
    Thanks for the insight. This mirrors what I've heard from other long term Synapse owners. The S25 is perfectly practical. If I need additional space, I can always pick up the A30 later.

Forum Member
    Austin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Synapse 25 is the best backpack ever made. It's perfect for minimalist one bag travel, as well as my EDC.

Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned 2 incarnations of the S19: one made from Cordura nylon with the original shoulder straps, and a newer 525 ballistic nylon version with the edgeless straps.

It is my go-to Bihn bag. I carry it to work. I take it hiking. I pack it full for weekend overnight trips.

I did purchase an SN22 to test pack at home. My problems were this: I only use tablet (not laptop) computers, and never carry rolling luggage (rendering the pass-through sleeve useless). The frame did not sit well against my back, and added enough additional weight that I would no longer consider the SN22 a lightweight backpack. While I appreciated the extra 3L of capacity, the backpack on the general whole provided more <gestures broadly> than I needed, and it was sent back for a refund.

For me, the best improvement to the Synapse line (carried over to the Synik) was correction of how the center water bottle pocket was constructed, allocating more space to the right and left side pockets. With those 2 side pockets now able to accommodate a much larger variety of items than they could previously, it's an extremely versatile bag.

For me, the S19 has more than enough internal organization and I prefer it for camping trips, because the multiple pockets make it easy to find whatever I need in a dark tent at night. I don't know what point I'm trying to make other than - after having tried other backpacks (even within the Tom Bihn brand) - I always come back to the original Synapse 19.

I would imagine I'm not the only one who feels that way, either.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post
    I've owned 2 incarnations of the S19: one made from Cordura nylon with the original shoulder straps, and a newer 525 ballistic nylon version with the edgeless straps.

It is my go-to Bihn bag. I carry it to work. I take it hiking. I pack it full for weekend overnight trips. .
    'Welcome' to the Forums @Chicagoan ! Or thank you for delurking Smilie

The S19 is my go-to as well... I have three of them right now: Steel (dyneema) halcyon/Solar; Original (white grid black) halcyon/Island; and Steel parapack/Solar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to be here (and finally vocal)! Thanks for the warm welcome, @G42 . I struggled at first with the S19 before the side pockets were expanded and shoulder straps were upgraded - at that time I was making do with an L15. Mostly, I liked that the L15 could stand upright unsupported - very handy out on day hikes when I’d drop the bag on the ground during breaks. And the edgeless straps. While they likely won’t phase out the S19 and S25, I do hope they make the edgeless straps a standard feature. They’re every bit worth the extra cost. Even if you own an older generation S19, it’s worth the money to have the new shoulder straps and larger side pockets. Note: I used to stuff x2 16-ounce water bottles into the center water bottle pocket prior to the redesign. Now it can only fit one. The Synik was not for me. The Synapse, though, is pretty close to ideal. I’ve learned that some Tom Bihn bags work so well adapting to your lifestyle that you wonder how you did without them. Others I couldn’t make work. And that’s okay. TB doesn’t mind customers test-packing bags at home and sending them back if they’re not a good fit - something I’ve always been grateful for, especially since they don’t have a physical store other than at headquarters.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post
    Glad to be here (and finally vocal)! Thanks for the warm welcome, @G42 . I struggled at first with the S19 before the side pockets were expanded and shoulder straps were upgraded - at that time I was making do with an L15. Mostly, I liked that the L15 could stand upright unsupported - very handy out on day hikes when I’d drop the bag on the ground during breaks. And the edgeless straps. While they likely won’t phase out the S19 and S25, I do hope they make the edgeless straps a standard feature. They’re every bit worth the extra cost. Even if you own an older generation S19, it’s worth the money to have the new shoulder straps and larger side pockets. Note: I used to stuff x2 16-ounce water bottles into the center water bottle pocket prior to the redesign. Now it can only fit one. The Synik was not for me. The Synapse, though, is pretty close to ideal. I’ve learned that some Tom Bihn bags work so well adapting to your lifestyle that you wonder how you did without them. Others I couldn’t make work. And that’s okay. TB doesn’t mind customers test-packing bags at home and sending them back if they’re not a good fit - something I’ve always been grateful for, especially since they don’t have a physical store other than at headquarters.

The 'edgeless' straps are indeed wonderful on the newer ones. My understanding is that new Synapse production is only with the 'edgeless'... it's just that they had a mix of inventory for a while, that's why you see the notation for which version... there are only 'edgeless' versions available now at the slightly higher price.
    The newer pocket/bottle configuration is definitely cool too, though for what I EDC, it's not a show stopper for me.
    And I love the old fabrics enough (Steel! Solar! Parapack!) that I'm not giving them up for pockets or straps!
    Smilie

I also have an L15 and really like it as a city bag, where I'm happy to not have as many exposed zippers. Plus it's a sleek look!

The Synapse 25 and Synik 30 are too tall for my torso, as is the Guide's Pack & Shadow Guide V1...so I'm looking forward to the Shadow Guide in the smaller size that's coming up at some point...
    I have a Synik 22 and I like it for very specific use cases involving certain types of plane trips, otherwise I usually stick to my S19 for EDC.
    Oh, and I have a Brain Bag for when I'm carrying two laptops and random work stuff on road trips to a factory....

I have way more backpacks than I have backs, lol

Forum Member
    Denver, CO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I truly hope that the Synapse line sticks around for the foreseeable future. I have (2) Synapse 25 and (1) Synik 30 and for most use cases I prefer the Synapse (because of its more simple design and lighter weight). The fact that the Synik costs nearly 50% more is another strong advantage for the Synapse line.

I use a Western Flyer packing cube for travel that slides right into my Synapse...I have no need for the "full clamshell" opening. I typically place the packing cube against my back, so I never really found the need for a frame sheet and I hang my MBP Cache from the front loops and tuck it into the pocket attached to the lid. Everything else is pretty much the same. For EDC, lighter weight and simpler design wins the day for me.

The Synik was really a solution to a problem I never had with the Synapse. I certainly understand that everyone's use case is different but for me the Synapse is one of the best values on the market for $210. Amazing quality and no superfluous weight/features.

Also, just aesthetically, I prefer centralized the label placement on the Synapse, but that is a matter of personal preference.
    Long live the Synapse!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
    I truly hope that the Synapse line sticks around for the foreseeable future. I have (2) Synapse 25 and (1) Synik 30 and for most use cases I prefer the Synapse (because of its more simple design and lighter weight). The fact that the Synik costs nearly 50% more is another strong advantage for the Synapse line.

I use a Western Flyer packing cube for travel that slides right into my Synapse...I have no need for the "full clamshell" opening. I typically place the packing cube against my back, so I never really found the need for a frame sheet and I hang my MBP Cache from the front loops and tuck it into the pocket attached to the lid. Everything else is pretty much the same. For EDC, lighter weight and simpler design wins the day for me.

The Synik was really a solution to a problem I never had with the Synapse. I certainly understand that everyone's use case is different but for me the Synapse is one of the best values on the market for $210. Amazing quality and no superfluous weight/features.

Also, just aesthetically, I prefer centralized the label placement on the Synapse, but that is a matter of personal preference.
    Long live the Synapse!
    +1 to using packing cubes to slide into backpacks. Best way Iíve found to get around the lack of a clamshell opening. Total game changer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Current Bags: HLT1 (Coyote 210d), HTL2 (Coyote 210d), EC (Nebulous 525d and Ursa 525d), SK (Black 525d/Island 200d), S19 (Ursa 525d/NWS 200d), L15 (Deep Blue 525d/Coyote 210d, Monster Truck (Coyote 525d and Nebulous 525d), Medium YD (Coyote 1050d), Deluxe Spiff Kit (Coyote 210d) and many small accessory items.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast