Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hdavim View Post
    In terms of sizing, I think that the S/M is good in V3; the design gives me room to open my mouth and talk so I donít feel like I need to size-up; when Iíve tried to measure I think Iím between 4.5/5 - my measuring process involved a tape measure or holding a pen to get the length from the bridge of my nose to the point of my chin to get the measurement. Lastly, the V3 covers more of my chin and goes higher on my nose to where my glasses rest or right below where my glasses rest.
    hdavim... thanks for the thorough review. you mentioned v1 you're sorta maybe between 2 sizes. you mentioned v3 fit and thean s/m fit well, suggesting that it's cut a little larger. you also said your v2 s/m also fit, but don't think you talked too much about specific fit of the v2.

i'm right smack dab at 4.5" from bridge to chin with a health size jewish nose. i started a thread on "questions about bags" about mask sizing and the consensus was go M/L not S/M. you sound like your similar or even a small measure up, but you sound happy with the S/M in v2.

i think i really want the neck strap for the constant on and of that seems will be the norm for foreseeable future so mainly interested in V2.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @deuxcv
    I also received V2 and V3 to try... my S/M V2 is the same size as S/M V1
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    @deuxcv
    i want v2 and v3 to try Frown

being exactly on the cusp of size recommendations, i can be an excellent test subject.

mostly kidding, i can wait. i can keep using this tattered old mask till they're launched Wink

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @deuxcv
    I agree with this, i’ve been out and about with the v3 mask, and it does take more adjusting because the fit at the top is differently shaped. (This is the one that you’re supposed to be able to sing with, and it does feel different, both because of the larger amounts of material (extra thickness layers), and the difference in the adjustment around the nose bridge for both v2 and v3 being heavier duty.

For the record, I can wear either the S/M or the M/L size v1 mask. What I’ve found in practice is similar to what @G42 said in her review: although I thought under conditions of being at home, and not in actual hotter or more humid conditions of extended wearing, that the M/L size would prove more comfortable, in practice, if I’m wearing this for extended periods, I’ll always revert to the smaller mask (I routinely carry both sizes with me). I think a recent post on Ravelry put this correctly: the TB masks won’t feel as comfortable as wearing a mask with a design that doesn’t provide a good seal around the nose and mouth, but compared to all the myriad other masks she’d tried, it was the best option for long term wearing of a mask that would actually offer the protection that she was looking for.

So my initial reaction, based on not yet really extensive wearing of both these masks, is that v2 is an easier stretch for me going from the (still most comfortable v1 S/M mask) for long term wearing. Because both these newer versions of masks have more layers of different fabrics, they don’t come out of the washer and drier as flat as the v1 masks do. You definitely do notice having the extra layers present when you are wearing these for extended periods of time, and particularly if the humidity goes up.

My question about the neck lanyard, which I like, is whether people with very large heads will have issues getting these on and off and with long-term wear. (These are the same people who post that none of the current masks is large enough for them). My experience in giving masks to other people, is about one third of the people will need/prefer the M/L size and two thirds will use the S/M size. (I haven’t encountered the group who need extra large, but I’ve only bought a couple of dozen of masks).

The main thing I’m trying to work with is optimizing the fit to the nose bridge on my v3 mask. V2 is an easier fit, since the design near the nose is similar to v1.

That’s it so far for my impressions.

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for not quoting directly:

TLDR: I plan to buy both sizes when they launch. I think that there is value to having both and feel pretty confident that with the adjustable ear loops I can tweak the fit.

In more detail: @deuxcv I think that the V2 S/M covers more of my face than the V1, it may be that I’ve had the V1 longer and it’s shrunk. I’m unsure how much of my face needs to be covered, so I feel like the V1 is S/M is a little too small but the M/L has gaps at along my cheeks and is more comfortable but may offer less protection. My plan is to buy both sizes, I think with the adjustable ear loops I’ll be able to tighten the mask so there won’t be gaps in the M/L. The S/M covers my face from a little under the bridge of my nose to below the tip of my chin, and is comfortable in that sense; I think that the two layers in fabric on the V2 changes how I feel the mask fits on me, my perception is that the S/M V2 covers my face and has room between the mask and my nose/mouth so I can breath more easily.

I agree with @moriond about the question whether people with larger heads will be able to get the mask on with long term wear. I have tended to leave the ear loops at a longer length and neck lanyard shorter, but I have found it easy enough to lengthen the lanyard when putting the mask on and taking if off, and then adjusting the ear loops. I do wonder how the cord will wear over time.

Also, I need to spend some more time optimizing the nose fit like @moriond said on the V3. I’ve gotten it closer to a snug fit, and watching the video helped me see the shape of the nose, which is markedly different (to my eye) than on the V1 and V2. I think after wearing both I will probably end up using the V3 more than the V2 because V3 is more comfortable for me when talking and the design provides more room around my nose; talking with the mask is a primary consideration of mine, when I return to working on location I will be in positions where physical distancing is not possible and I will have to talk in my job.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to the V2 mask. I managed to snap the earloops on two V1 masks at the same time (I think they got caught on something in the dryer when I washed them with a heavy load of clothes), so I need to figure out how to fix those. But I will be ordering some V2 ones regardless. I think they're fine to wash and dry if I don't put them in with so much stuff.

I'd like to vote against a tag on the masks. I find (clothing) tags uncomfortable; they always make me itch, even when I cut them off. And I don't particularly like brands/logos on things, even though TB bags have them.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mangosteen View Post
    Looking forward to the V2 mask. I managed to snap the earloops on two V1 masks at the same time (I think they got caught on something in the dryer when I washed them with a heavy load of clothes), so I need to figure out how to fix those. But I will be ordering some V2 ones regardless. I think they're fine to wash and dry if I don't put them in with so much stuff.
    Try using a lingerie bag to hold the masks when you wash them... keeps them together and from snagging on anything else.
    If you have to buy new (sets are less than $20), look for a set with multiple sizes & shapes, plastic (no-rust) zippers (many tuck away to prevent snagging), etc. - use 'premium' in the search term. The brands change frequently and they're all coming from the same factory towns, so just read the reviews of the particular set you might buy. I use them for the masks, bras, and the larger bags for my merino blend clothing that is machine washable.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

France
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. I bought a quite cheap lingerie bag and have it hanging up to put used masks in, and then very easy to put in washing machine and tumbler dryer without any risk of snagging.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: Nik's working on a two-layer version of the V3 mask design. Though this option won't ship at the same time the 3 layer V3 will, my hope is we can at least put it up as a page so folks know that option will be available in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    My question about the neck lanyard, which I like, is whether people with very large heads will have issues getting these on and off and with long-term wear.
    As we all know, Nik has a large head; he finds the lanyard to be easy to take on and off. Ok, seriously, though; we actually lengthened the lanyard from its original length based on that question/feedback when we asked various folks in the factory to try the lanyard on. So, between that and the stretch, we're hoping it'll fit the majority, if not all.

Quote Originally Posted by mangosteen View Post

I'd like to vote against a tag on the masks. I find (clothing) tags uncomfortable; they always make me itch, even when I cut them off. And I don't particularly like brands/logos on things, even though TB bags have them.
    Ah! We've been thinking of revising the washing instructions to include the suggestion of using a lingerie or delicates bag, just like @G42 and @BigBadD wisely suggested, esp. in light of the new lanyard which may be more prone to catching on agitators or other pieces of clothing. Have you tried knotting the snapped apart ear loop together? As long as that doesn't end up making the ear loop too short for you, that should work.

We're kinda thinking the nose bridge slot on our masks serves as a logo; as far as we know, no other masks have that. What do you all think of that?
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

We're kinda thinking the nose bridge slot on our masks serves as a logo; as far as we know, no other masks have that. What do you all think of that?
    I like that. I can’t think of any mask with a nose bridge slot. Also, and more personally, I prefer the masks without a logo: I can’t envision where the logo would fit and also generally prefer things without logos.

Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it. It's honestly unbelievable how many other companies (not going to name names, but if you know about Tom Bihn you probably know a few of the ones I'm thinking of, they tend to run in the same circles) slap their logo or even sew a huge patch onto the mask. I dunno, I just think it's kind of weird when you're looking at someone while talking to them and they've got a massive brand logo right on their mouth. I think you guys hit that sweet spot between being subtle looks-wise and still looking like it's a high-quality mask.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try using a lingerie bag to hold the masks when you wash them... keeps them together and from snagging on anything else.
    If you have to buy new (sets are less than $20), look for a set with multiple sizes & shapes, plastic (no-rust) zippers (many tuck away to prevent snagging), etc. - use 'premium' in the search term. The brands change frequently and they're all coming from the same factory towns, so just read the reviews of the particular set you might buy. I use them for the masks, bras, and the larger bags for my merino blend clothing that is machine washable.
    Oh thank you! I will try that!
    @Darcy I do think the nose bridge slot sets TB apart from other masks. It's a nice feature, without being too showy. I have not tried tying the ends together. I think it would make it too short. I might see if I can sew on something (maybe a large hair elastic or part of a shoelace?), not that I am any good at sewing.

(I also used to get asked about the TB shop bags a lot (when we were allowed to bring them in stores), like where they were from and how the nice the padded handles were, even with the logo on them, so I don't the lack of them is an issue if people are interested in the mask.)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Darcy

wait... are you saying you’re thinking of putting your logo on the nose bridge? or saying that’s a unique feature that has become identifiable and serves as a logo? pleeeaaassseee don’t put a logo on the nose bridge. i really wouldn’t a logo smack dab middle of my face being a billboard with people coming in close trying to read it. that is soooooo what we shouldn’t be encouraging. if it were my decision there wouldn’t be a logo at all. if i were in marketing tho, it would be just the airplane on the cheek hem. the unique mask design and airplane could spark conversation , it can be identified as an airplane from a distance, that should be enough. i really don’t want to be an advertisement at all, but i’d settle for discreet. if on the bridge, i’d hope was easily removable because i’d remove it. if not removable, i’d probably give it away or bin it if already worn, which would be a real shame. if a discreet were somewhere else i might not mind. my car, my aeronaut and my shop bag are the only publicly facing items i can think of with written out logos and the car i’ve removed all markings that were easily removable. i like you guys,but please don’t put a logo there. hope i misinterpreted what you wrote.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the nose bridge slot. It makes the mask customizable, more comfortable, sustainable, better-fitting. (I have a mask from another makers which has the wire sewn in place and it's not very comfy, plus I was wondering what I would do if/when the wire pokes through or gets dislodged.)

And it's quite distinctive! The other day we all went out as a family and were wearing our different-colored TB masks. It made me smile to myself - if any other Bihnions spotted us, they'd know in a heartbeat where our masks were from! I thought the masks looked different from other masks, very elegant in an understated way, but also all distinctly related. Good, simple, practical design. Heart Eyes

Last edited by haraya; 07-09-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the nose bridge slot! For my nose/face shape, putting two twist ties in or one of the larger flat plastic ties off of the coffee bags makes the masks so much more fitted!!
    Please don't remove the slot or make it any smaller
    Smilie

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast