Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I have not had the opportunity to test them for extended periods of time yet, I received samples of the V2 and V3 this week, and after washing and drying them, they are ready to go. I really, really love the lanyard on these, as there were times with my V1 when I would do the awkward 1 ear wearing method for temporary removals, hoping it did not fall off. This will be a great option for most scenarios. I am also glad that Tom Bihn created a video about the loops adjustment, as I was initially afraid of tugging too hard on the loops, and while new, mine took a tiny bit of oomph to adjust. This is actually a good thing in that the loops are unlikely to slip.

In terms of the fit, for comparison purposes, my V1 S/M has fit my face perfectly, and I have worn it for extended periods everywhere from work to errands to exercise. The V2 S/M fits me similarly. I can tell in Virginia heat/humidity it is going to be slightly warmer with the different material, but I really like the material - it almost makes me think of a well loved chambray or other favorite with its very slightly weathered look and feel. Between the V1 and the V2, in hot situations, I would likely be tempted by the V1s slightly better breathability, but I will definitely be using both.

I am a little mixed on the V3 S/M fit for me. With a more petite to normal sized nose, it feels big in the front to me, especially since the V1/V2 fit me so well. I am also not sure about whether I may prefer a softer nose piece to the metal one. Either way, I am grateful to have the option to swap the nose piece out with the design. For people who require a little extra space inside of their face mask, this version may be just the ticket. When I was at work yesterday, one of the complaints that one of my male co-workers voiced was that he felt like he didn't have enough space to talk with his unknown brand face mask. I hope this helps, and I will post more impressions after I have a chance to test more thoroughly.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxcv View Post
    wait... are you saying youíre thinking of putting your logo on the nose bridge? or saying thatís a unique feature that has become identifiable and serves as a logo?
    The second one: the nose bridge slot is a feature unique to our masks, so that's identifiable and can serve as a logo Smilie
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planning to get the v3 when available. Since the 3rd layer is a slight concern, can the early birds comment on whether it's a problem, and why TB is developing a 2-layer version?
    Last edited by ayazgood; 07-10-2020 at 03:52 PM.

France
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things I value and am confident about with TB is their constant review for improvements based on experience and also feedback. But yes it would be interesting to find out more about 3-layer vs 2-layer developments and any potential pros/cons ahead of the 3-layer v3 becoming available, presumably fairly soon?

The far west
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    Planning to get the v3 when available. Since the 3rd layer is a slight concern, can the early birds comment on whether it's a problem, and why TB is developing a 2-layer version?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadD View Post
    One of the things I value and am confident about with TB is their constant review for improvements based on experience and also feedback. But yes it would be interesting to find out more about 3-layer vs 2-layer developments and any potential pros/cons ahead of the 3-layer v3 becoming available, presumably fairly soon?
    When we announced the V3, we received a number of requests from folks who really liked the new design of the V3 but wanted a version that's 2 layers instead of 3 layers because they anticipate (without trying the mask) that three layers of material could potentially feel too warm for them. We figured offering a 2 layer version of the V3 made sense and it's easy enough to do; our effort to get the Mask V3.2 page up before Mask V3.3 is available for order is so those folks know there will be a V3.2, 'cause they may want to wait for that.

Interestingly, one of our testers found that, for him, the V3.3 was less warm + more breathable than his V1 for bike riding. He thinks it's because of the structure of the V3.3.

Just my own personal experience here, YMMV of course: Recently, I went to the doctor and then the post office. Those are two contexts in which I'd personally choose to wear my V3 3-layer instead of my V1 or V2 (which are both two layer). It was also an 85 degree day and I sat in my car (windows down) in the post office parking lot for a bit waiting for some of the cars to clear out so I could go when there would be hopefully less of a line. I ended up wearing my V3 for about 3-1/2 hours straight that day. I didn't actually find it to be that noticeably warmer than the V1 or V2; I think that's because of the design of the V3.

I can't stress enough though: your mileage may vary, no matter what mask you're using! Cloth face masks are kinda like t-shirts; everyone has their preferences or even favorite brands, sizes run differently between brands, some people prefer the feel of 100% cotton and others find a cotton/synthetic blend to wick away moisture and be cooler to wear, and you're likely to have a drawer of them and choose different styles based on where you're doing Smilie So, more options the better is what we're thinking. (Within reason; sometimes fewer options, like fewer colors, is what allows us to be able to efficiently ship thousands of donation and purchased masks each week.)
    Last edited by Darcy; 07-11-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never occurred to me to be worried about warmth; I was just worried about breathability, though I guess the two are related. Sounds like none of the testers, including Darcy, have found that to be an issue. If not, then I guess having a third filtering layer can’t hurt.

Luckily, I somehow managed to lose both of my other TB masks, so I have an excuse to buy more!
    Last edited by ayazgood; 07-11-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA (home of Tom Bihn)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using a V1 mask for the past two months however I found it to be little small on me. Is the original V1 size considered to be Small/Medium or Medium/Large based on the new designs?

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the chance to test out the V3 at the grocery store today, and I may be a convert to the V3 for these sorts of outings! I appreciated having the 3 layers and I was really surprised that it felt easy to breathe, perhaps with the extra space inside. To try it in another environment, I went for a moderate walk in approximately 85 degree weather with 65% humidity, though it was somewhat overcast. I was surprised that it felt more comfortable than I expected with the extra layer. While I am not sure yet if I would wear it for exercise in hotter weather, I am intrigued, and I can't wait to test it out more. The lanyard is also super handy feature anytime, but particularly for exercise.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I have been using a V1 mask for the past two months however I found it to be little small on me. Is the original V1 size considered to be Small/Medium or Medium/Large based on the new designs?
    The original V1 is a S/M
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA (home of Tom Bihn)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    The original V1 is a S/M
    Thanks G42!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    @Jay ,
    As I mentioned in my post, my informal stats are about a third of the people Iíve given masks to are better matched to M/L, and about two/thirds are better matched to S/M, but maybe someone else has better statistics on relative numbers for each size.

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at the studies being done so far, while many many factors affect filtration quality, when it comes to layers, the findings seem to be that 3 layers offers a real improvement over 2 without really compromising breathability as more layers might. I'm glad TB's doing a 3-layer. Right now I tend to use the TB V1 for when I'm going to be mostly/exclusively outside and another brand that's got 2 layers and a filter pocket (which I use a homemade shop-towel filter in) for when I'm going to be spending more time indoors. Since a cloth mask doesn't seal to the face there are always going to be limits to protection, but going for 3 over 2 layers seems to be a "cheap" way of improving.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by setrombley View Post
    Since a cloth mask doesn't seal to the face there are always going to be limits to protection, but going for 3 over 2 layers seems to be a "cheap" way of improving.
    The original hack involved 3 rubber bands. Now they have a product, but if you look at the image you can see how to create the same seal with 3 rubber bands https://www.fixthemask.com/. I used the hack with my homemade mask before TB came out with theirs. Haven't felt the need as the V1 feels snug, but I'm also not inside public buildings for prolonged periods. I also have a polypro reuseable bag I cannibalized to make a "filter" that sits inside my TB mask (would probably be better if I seamripped the bottom so it were _inside_ the mask, but I can't bring myself to do that, so it just sits in the mask)/ Polypro fabric is used to create N-95s, so that's why I'm repurposing the bag (hoping some of that fiber "stickiness" helps, who knows). MUCH more breathable than when I would put a tissue in the mask as my filter

The far west
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A request....

Would any of you who haven't yet left a review for your V1, V2, or V3 masks be up for doing so? Here's handy links that'll take you right to the review section for each mask page:

V1 ~ https://www.tombihn.com/products/facemask#reviews
    V2 ~ https://www.tombihn.com/products/clothmaskv2#reviews
    V3 ~ https://www.tombihn.com/products/3layermask#reviews

Here's the thing: many of the folks who are looking to, or are purchasing masks from us haven't purchased anything from us before and don't know our company that well. And, unfortunately, it seems some of them have had bad experiences purchasing masks from other companies; either the masks took 4+ weeks to ship, never shipped, or arrived unusable due to poor quality. Or, the mask didn't work for them, and the company was not responsive. They are understandably worried that they might have the same experience with us. I think reviews go a long ways towards helping people know that won't happen with us; a true-to-you review at least lets folks know you got your mask and all of that good stuff Smilie
    Last edited by Darcy; 07-15-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    A request....

Would any of you who haven't yet left a review for your V1, V2, or V3 masks be up for doing so? Here's handy links that'll take you right to the review section for each mask page:
    @Darcy ... if you send me some, i'd gladly leave a review Wink i just happen to be exactly 4.5" bridge to chin so might be useful to others right on the cusp between the two sizes. the forum was useful tho in pretty universally agreeing to 'size up' if unsure (might be useful to add to the sizing instructions).

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast