Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sd2102 View Post
    That was me! I'd love more colors in the larger sizes, especially friendlier colors. . .
    I am with you, @sd2102 , on hoping for friendlier colors for the masks in the future. It does seem like masks will be necessary wear indefinitely.
    @Darcy , thanks for your patience on posting the CDC recommendations for 3-layer mask fabrics.

Have a great day, everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a V2 in the mail. Itís a very functional design and will be my favorite.

The loops on the bottom have knots that the lanyard passes through. Thatís how the ear loops stay tightly adjusted.

The shape is the same as the V1.

Thanks again for the pattern. Iím having fun making these out of colorful quilting cotton with some interfacing.

BTW, I make the wire piece with two Pieces of 18 gauge jewelry wrapped with electrical tape.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m_cycle View Post
    Just got a V2 in the mail. It’s a very functional design and will be my favorite.

The loops on the bottom have knots that the lanyard passes through. That’s how the ear loops stay tightly adjusted.

The shape is the same as the V1.

Thanks again for the pattern. I’m having fun making these out of colorful quilting cotton with some interfacing.

BTW, I make the wire piece with two Pieces of 18 gauge jewelry wrapped with electrical tape.
    Would love to see photos of your masks! Are you going to try to make/add the lanyard and adjustable ear loops?
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

NJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Would love to see photos of your masks! Are you going to try to make/add the lanyard and adjustable ear loops?
    @Darcy this week’s batch waiting for sewing by my wife, Jennifer. Child sizes too: thanks for sending her the kid’s pattern! No clue why the pic posted upside down...

First look! New V2 and V3 Reusable Cloth Face Masks-ceaf1540-20d5-40a2-a41b-15f39efcc54c-jpeg
    Last edited by REP; 07-23-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    EDC: Black Halcyon DLBP | Nebulous Gray Luminary 15 ~ Work Carry: Black Ristretto ~ Fun Carry: Black Medium Yeoman Duffel | Coyote Road Duffel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My TB Masks

Bottom left is my attempt at V2. Top two are V1. Bottom right is an Olson mask which isnít a TB design. The black ďstickĒ is my homemade nose wire. Itís two 18 gauge pieces of wire wrapped with electrical tape. I use bias tape for the nose wire pocket.

I also own a V1 & V2 from TB.

I like the shape of the TB better than the Olson. It has a bit more room around the mouth and the adjustable ear loops on the V2 are key for getting the right fit. The lanyard is also a great addition and makes the mask so much more functional.

Thanks again to the TB crew!
    Attached Images Attached Images First look! New V2 and V3 Reusable Cloth Face Masks-637f9b45-166d-4616-b3a7-ccb094bacab2-jpeg 

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received my large V2 masks. First I really appreciate the green—it's great not having a black mask. I find the fabric much more breathable than my V1 mask. Also, the new metal strips are much more effective and prevent my glasses from fogging up.

I must have a strangely shaped head though, because I would really appreciate slightly longer elastic. I can either adjust the ear loops to fit well (to be about the same as my V1), and then I can feel the strap pulling on the back of my neck (and if I take it off it's like a choker), OR, I can adjust the neck strap to fit and then my ears get pulled out like Mickey Mouse.

In any case, thank you for continuing to innovate and iterate on these designs. They are by far the best masks I've found!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulford View Post
    I must have a strangely shaped head though, because I would really appreciate slightly longer elastic. I can either adjust the ear loops to fit well (to be about the same as my V1), and then I can feel the strap pulling on the back of my neck (and if I take it off it's like a choker), OR, I can adjust the neck strap to fit and then my ears get pulled out like Mickey Mouse.
    Welcome to the Forums @Pulford !

FYI, the material on the V2 ear loops/lanyard is the same as on the V1 ear loops, so this works for both. If your V2 is a little snug (it is on me), take the lanyard and loops by section and using both hands gently tug/stretch them a bit. That will relax the material a little.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m_cycle View Post
    Bottom left is my attempt at V2. Top two are V1. Bottom right is an Olson mask which isn’t a TB design. The black “stick” is my homemade nose wire. It’s two 18 gauge pieces of wire wrapped with electrical tape. I use bias tape for the nose wire pocket.

I also own a V1 & V2 from TB.

I like the shape of the TB better than the Olson. It has a bit more room around the mouth and the adjustable ear loops on the V2 are key for getting the right fit. The lanyard is also a great addition and makes the mask so much more functional.

Thanks again to the TB crew!
    Love the patterns you've picked!
    I'm perfectly thrilled with the solid colors being offered....
    But would also source a fun Aloha style fabric for a DIY batch!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums @Pulford !

FYI, the material on the V2 ear loops/lanyard is the same as on the V1 ear loops, so this works for both. If your V2 is a little snug (it is on me), take the lanyard and loops by section and using both hands gently tug/stretch them a bit. That will relax the material a little.
    Good tip! I'll give that a whirl.

Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone else found the v2 to be kind of wrinkly? It doesn't affect the functionality at all, but does anyone have any ideas on how to get wrinkles out of the mask? I'm a little wary of ironing it because of the straps, not sure how they'd react if I accidentally iron over them.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    Has anyone else found the v2 to be kind of wrinkly? It doesn't affect the functionality at all, but does anyone have any ideas on how to get wrinkles out of the mask? I'm a little wary of ironing it because of the straps, not sure how they'd react if I accidentally iron over them.
    For all the versions of the masks, I hang dry them. When I take them out of the washer, I finger straighten/reshape them, then hang them by the ear loops over my drying rack or around a coat hanger to dry in the sun.

If you want to dry in the dryer, I would do the same smoothing/reshaping when wet; take them out before they're fully dry, shape again, and finish by air drying.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received our V2 masks today and love the quality!! I ordered several large in olive and expected the metal/black sleeve to be on the outside with the olive but itís on the outside with the light blue. Definitely doesnít match the pics on the TB site.

Anyone seeing this too? Or Iím not using them right, haha! Thx!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure you didn't somehow end up with the S/M V3s?

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by setrombley View Post
    Are you sure you didn't somehow end up with the S/M V3s?
    Yes, thatís what Iím thinking right now. You read my mind 😀

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    The thicker fabric (most noticeably in version 3) means that I decided not to hang dry these (especially since we just had hurricane alerts this weekend). It’s really version 2 and version 3 that you’ll notice this for. I now handle these the way I would for other washing items where I want to minimize wrinkles: just after the wash cycle finishes, I take them out and finger reshape them the way @G42 describes, before putting them in the drier. (I generally launder these with sheets, so there are no buttons or other items that could snag on the ear loops during the washing and drying stage). Since the v2 and especially the v3 masks take longer to dry, generally even compared to other items, I may remove them when they’re mostly (but not completely) dry and reshape them again to minimize wrinkling and let them complete drying. This seems to work pretty well. You can always line dry them as @G42 does. I like the notion of these going through the heated tumble drying phase, but it may not make that much of difference in the whole washing and sanitizing process. Of course, if you line dry the masks you avoid any possibility of the elastic getting caught on other clothing items in the drying process, but this is not a problem that I’ve had.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast