Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a ton for the tips @G42 and @moriond , I did manage to get most of the wrinkles out by "reshaping" the mask after I washed them. I opted to line dry them in my basement, I rarely use my dryer these days-it's one of those newer models and I've lost quite a few shirts to shrinkage with it, to the point where I line dry pretty much everything these days. Also, stay safe out there moriond! I follow hurricanes as a hobby (which is definitely slightly morbid, seeing as I'm doing it from the safety of the Great Lakes region) and Douglas seemed like a pretty solid storm.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is my mask review before system made me pare it down to 1500 characters. i was like 3500 characters too many. oops...

we all have a lot of masks by now and have honed in on what you like in a mask as the rules evolve. i originally liked thinner pleated ones that could fit in my shirt pocket. i’ve always preferred ear loops for comfort and a nose wire to improve seal and minimize fogging of my glasses. as mask efficacy became clearer and rules tighter, something that could be donned quicker had it’s appeal so held out for the tom bihn v2 because of the neck lanyard. glad i waited as it quickly became my favorite...with one caveat, the nose wire, which i’ll get to in a bit.

size/fit… per their size guidance i’m smack dab in the middle between sizes… 4.5” between bridge of nose and tip of chin, so i got both sizes to make best assessment. i had asked for size guidance from the forums and i think with one exception everyone suggested i size up. i would definitely agree… the med/lg is much more comfortable if you’re on the cusp. the sm/med worked in a pinch but the med/lg was way more comfortable. i was worried that the larger size would look/feel too bulky, but it doesn’t.

comfort/breathability… as comfortable as a mask can be it gets high marks. the twill is soft and pliable but feels like there is enough breathing resistance that you feel like it’s doing its job. inherent to this sort of center seam pattern, there is a build up of layers of fabric, such that with dual mask layers and folded over hems + the bulk of the seam itself, you end up with a bunch of layers of fabric at the nose bridge, which i believe contributes a tad to less than ideal fit and steaming to my glasses. there is overall enough shape to the mask, that it doesn’t feel claustrophobic underneath… talking is easy and trapped moisture isn’t too uncomfortable. cupped chin further ensures good overall protection. the ear loop and neck lanyard system is so simple in design which makes it all the more elegant and pure genius. it’s basically just a slip knot and loop right where it attaches to the bottom of the mask. the neck lanyard passes through the knot and continues through to become the ear loops and attaches at the top of the mask. i must have a longer distance between ears and front of face, because a lot of masks are uncomfortable in the ear loop department. this so elegantly solves the problem that they deserve an award for this. it could maybe stand to have an extra inch or two in length to play with, but it’s by no means too short either. i imagine with time the elastic will scratch and give me that inch or two. oh… and the elastic. its so comfy. kinda feels like a mix between elastic and foam.

and now for the nose wire. i don’t know what they were thinking with their choice of metal and the gauge, but it is literally pointless (imo) and completely ineffective (for me) at creating a seal and preventing steaming. maybe my sharper more pronounced nose needs more definition to give a good fit, but it just made it not work. it needed re shaping EVERY TIME i put it on. BUUTTTT...due to their clever design with an accessible sleeve for the nose wire, it give you options, and with a little tinkering was able to craft a solution that solved the problem and then some. with that tweak, it has earned my ranking of favorite mask and is the only one i wear.

the nose wire tweak… i took a similar length of solid (not twisted) electrical wire, stripped off the insulation and slid it in. strike one… it was too stiff to shape and too loose in the sleeve. so i took it out and gently pounded it flatter which accomplished 2 things… more pliable and less likely to roll and slip. final tweak.. layed the flattened wire onto a strip of electrical tape and then trimmed it to the right width so it would slide in but was tight. it was still a little too stiff to shape entirely by hand, but was no challenge for a pair of needle nose pliers. the result was definitely worth the effort. made a strong seal completely eliminated the glasses steaming, making it the most effective mask i’ve used so far. an additional benefit is that for a quick mask need, the modified nose wire + the neck strap, it pretty much keeps in place without the ear loops.

V1 vs V2 vs V3… i never got a v1 so can’t comment much, but from what i’ve read, the cut of V1 is more or less the same as V2, so unless you specifically DON’T want the neck lanyard and adjustability, go with the V2. V3 adds a third layer of fabric but doesn’t really change the breathability. seems unnecessary, but i’m not an expert, so i trust that it makes it more effective. V3 is generally roomier and the pattern removes the pesky vertical center seam. if you have a large face, a beard, or if you talk a lot, V3 might be the right one for you, but my goto mask quickly became the V2.

all said and done, they have earned their 5 star rating. definitely lost a star for the included nose wire, but earned it back in spades by the neck lanyard and ear loop genius and the slot for the nose wire that allows the user to customise it to their needs.
    First look! New V2 and V3 Reusable Cloth Face Masks-img_20200724_105154-jpg
    First look! New V2 and V3 Reusable Cloth Face Masks-img_20200724_105604-jpg
    First look! New V2 and V3 Reusable Cloth Face Masks-img_20200724_105825-jpg
    First look! New V2 and V3 Reusable Cloth Face Masks-img_20200724_110049-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @deuxcv ,

Have you tried @G42 's suggestion of using the plastic coated metal twists at the top of Peet's coffee bag for the nosewire substitution? (I confess that I used these to in place of retaining straps on the Luminaries) A few of the v1 masks were sewn too tightly for me to insert these there, but I think that these fit for versions 2 and 3 masks.

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @deuxcv ,

Have you tried @G42 's suggestion of using the plastic coated metal twists at the top of Peet's coffee bag for the nosewire substitution? (I confess that I used these to in place of retaining straps on the Luminaries) A few of the v1 masks were sewn too tightly for me to insert these there, but I think that these fit for versions 2 and 3 masks.

moriond
    i will try it. i have to say tho that i rather like this super rigid wire. thought i would want more flexibility, but this way takes all the fussing out. every other mask id have to tweak a little, with the copper wire mod, it's just loop the ears and its tight all around.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our package of V3's arrived yesterday. Mine is waiting for a wash, the others waiting for distribution to friends.

One thing of note with the Production V3 run over the pre-release test V3..... a welcome change... the "optional" nose piece insert section is long enough to completely cover the metal strips.

That being said, I'm intrigued by @deuxcv 's pounded wire mod, going to search for some and give it a good old fashioned Two Horse try ;-)

edit: Had a scrap of ROMEX that was the correct length to cut in half (should be able to get 6 nose wires out of the segment). Didn't even strip the individual wires, the hammer took care of that. I've been able to bend and shape it with my fingers. It took a while to get the shape right, but the stiffness of the wire really helps keep the shape, and allows for a more "pinched" top to the thicker V3 nose bridge.

So far, I'm a fan of this DIY upgrade. Have also requested "all of the coffee bag wire ties as we use them." That will be the next test Smilie
    Last edited by darwin; 07-30-2020 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got my v2 masks today. M/L definitely better fit for me. However, I found the ear/neck loop to be too short. Iím trying to stretch it out, but no luck so far.

One other question, why is there an adhesive side to the metal nose piece? I imagine Iíd like to be able to take it out so as to wash the mask. Thanks !
    Last edited by Rufus; 07-30-2020 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Add additional thought

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V2/V3 masks arrived yesterday! (I will compile my thoughts once I've given both versions a good run-through.) I washed them on hot in mesh lingerie bags, then dried for half an hour on high. They were still damp after that, so I chose to hang them to dry the rest of the way. - In that regard the V1 masks get a point for drying faster - they are usually almost dry when I pull them out of the washer and air-dry in an hour or so. Didn't get to test the new ones last night since we didn't go anywhere.

Today I handed V3 masks to DH and DS. DS almost instantly rejected the new mask - I think the neck loop dissuaded him, and then the thickness compared to the V1 was undesirable. (With that said, he's a 12yo boy, so his default for new things is suspicion. Smilie) He chose to use his V1 mask again. I have found that everyone is willing to wear the V1 masks without complaint, which for general walking around is my main concern! (If they had to go and spend time indoors in community spaces for extended periods, I would see about N95 masks, but we're just talking outdoor activities for the most part.)

DH was eager to try out the new version since I'd told him it had a neck lanyard and adjustable loops, plus a roomier style. I'll report back on his reaction when they get back.

Side note: I had ordered some of the tombihninspired masks (Etsy, TB-approved; V1? but three layers) for my 76yo mother. She also has a V1 mask that I gave her earlier. She sent me an email saying, "The best fit is the black one (V1) you gave me - the fabric is smooth, breathing through it is easy, and the size is perfect for my face."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Iíve had my masks now for a week or two and I just wanted to check in again. Did anyone have a good method for stretching out the neck lanyard on the version 2 masks? It is too tight for me and Iíve come to the point where I might just cut the lanyard in the middle, and attach some kind of extension to it. Would look bad, but would be more comfortable I think.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Hi, Iíve had my masks now for a week or two and I just wanted to check in again. Did anyone have a good method for stretching out the neck lanyard on the version 2 masks? It is too tight for me and Iíve come to the point where I might just cut the lanyard in the middle, and attach some kind of extension to it. Would look bad, but would be more comfortable I think.
    Hi @Rufus ,

Have you tried both adjusting the lanyard length between the ear loop section and the neck lanyard section, using the movie as a guideline first, as well as stretching out the lanyard after youíve done that? (You grip the loop section at the bottom left of either side of the mask, and then pull on either the ear loop section of the neck lanyard section to change the amount of lanyard apportioned to each section; itís most easily done if you view the how-to video on the product page).
    @Darcy responded to the initial feedback on the version 2 and 3 prototypes by lengthening the lanyard. (I didnít have problems with the fit, but my first reaction was that people with bigger heads might need longer lanyards)

There is at least one review (by @kgm ) on the product page, where a similar comment was made, and @Darcy responded by sending an email. I suggest you contact @Darcy directly (Iíll point her to this post)

HTH

moriond

ETA: found a better link for embedding the video on how to adjust the version 2 mask ear loops and neck lanyard
    Last edited by moriond; 08-11-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Embedded version of video on adjusting the v2 earloops and lanyard

Forum Member
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have a few of the V1 masks. I've been using a 16" key strap as a neck strap, it works out well. First look! New V2 and V3 Reusable Cloth Face Masks-img_0426-jpg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These masks look interesting and cool, but due to a rather large nose, I'm wary of purchasing yet another mask and finding it doesn't fit that well. Someone (@darcy?) mentioned that Tom Bihn will share the pattern to make these -- is it here somewhere? Just not posted yet?

I'm thinking I could slightly modify the pattern to fit me.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    These masks look interesting and cool, but due to a rather large nose, I'm wary of purchasing yet another mask and finding it doesn't fit that well. Someone (@darcy?) mentioned that Tom Bihn will share the pattern to make these -- is it here somewhere? Just not posted yet?

I'm thinking I could slightly modify the pattern to fit me.
    Are you looking for the V3 pattern? We plan to post it by the end of this week!
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Darcy , I'm not sure if this has already been addressed elsewhere, but what happened to the twill V4 design that was to be released in September? I've been eagerly waiting for this mask to become available, but now I don't even see it listed on the site.

I love my V3 by the way!
    Last edited by Vladdy; 08-30-2020 at 08:46 PM. Reason: @darcy

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast