Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First look! New V2 and V3 Reusable Cloth Face Masks

We wanted to get these pages up as soon as possible, so stay tuned for more videos and photos to come that show off these two new designs. Details + links below. In other news, our V1 Reusable Cloth Face Mask is the WIRED top face mask and as of today, we'll have donated over 69,000 masks thanks to you guys!

NEW V2 Reusable Cloth Face Mask (100% Combed Cotton Twill)

Customizable conforming nose bridge (w/included metal nose clip)

Adjustable comfortable, stretchy & soft (non-elastic!) ear loops & neck lanyard

Two layers of 100% Combed Cotton Twill fabric.

NEW V3 Reusable Cloth Face Mask (3 layers)

Customizable conforming nose bridge (w/included metal nose clip)

Adjustable comfortable, stretchy & soft (non-elastic!) ear loops & neck lanyard

Three layers of fabric: outermost layer is 65% polyester / 35% cotton blend; filter layer is 100% Combed Cotton Twill; innermost layer is 100% Combed Cotton Twill.

Great for people who sing, chant, open their mouths wide to laugh or who have facial hair or beards. Most (but not all) people will find they can open their mouths really wide without this mask slipping off the nose or above the chin. Make sure you order the correct size (and err on the side of larger rather than smaller if you're in-between sizes).
    Last edited by Darcy; 06-25-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to the TB Crew for continuing to innovate and tweak the mask design! I've gotten TB masks for family members in three households and they are very comfortable to wear. The design of V3 is really impressive!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am super excited for the lanyard. I recently rigged some extra paracord I have to make lanyards for the masks I currently have. I think the new mask will probably be my perfect reusable mask. Iím looking forward to adding to what I have. I really appreciate the care and thought all the folks at TB put into your work and am grateful that youíre continuing to refine and tweak your mask design.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVE how the design team solves problems even before I fully realize they're there! I TOTALLY need a mask that leaves room for me to open my mouth wide - and even better, uses design rather than "hard"-ware to create structure. (I'm guessing, based on the photos.) Looking forward to these versions!

Forum Member
    Mississauga, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to the v3. My v1 keeps slipping off my nose when I talk.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím excited about the new versions too! I havenít bought a V1 because none of my homemade ear loop style masks (including the TB design) have worked for my ears. But the adjustable loops look promising, and the lanyard offers a nice feature that will help me justify buying a mask when Iíve been able to sew perfectly good ones myself.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Darcy Could there be a way to be notified when V1 and V2 masks are available in a particular size and color?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone at TB for continuing to refine the designs! V1 is my favorite of the masks I've tried to date. As an academic who may be required to teach in person while wearing a mask, I'm looking forward to trying out V3.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this isnít the correct thread to post this, so mods please move if it should go elsewhere.

I just saw that the Tom Bihn V1 Reusable Cloth Face Mask made USA Todayís list of the 10 best face masks. It came in at number 2. Iím sure we will also see V2 and V3 on that list in the future. Great job, TB.

Hereís what they had to say: ďWe love Tom Bihn's carry-on under seat luggage and standard carry-on bags, so itís no surprise we are fans of the brandís masks too. We love these masks due to their adjustable and replaceable nose wires, soft ear loops, and the fact they come in multiple sizes. The material is densely woven for more protection, but not too thick to breathe, and the nose piece is made from twist ties, which significantly lengthens the long-term wearability of the mask.Ē

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...re/3278947001/
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalonian View Post
    Thanks to everyone at TB for continuing to refine the designs! V1 is my favorite of the masks I've tried to date. As an academic who may be required to teach in person while wearing a mask, I'm looking forward to trying out V3.
    Ditto. My University will be issuing every person two masks, but I'll definitely try the v3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m also interested in other colors of V2. Black? Also, a *small* TB tag would be great. Thanks!

Lowcountry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the chances of getting Tom Bihn masks in size Extra Large (XL)?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TB mask v2 and v 3 - initial thoughts and experiences (trying to be detailed and comprehensive but also to post this relatively quickly)
    @Darcy was kind enough to send me a V2 (faded navy, S/M and V3 (ocean/olive S/M) mask. I have V1 in light blue and navy and black (S/M), and black (both sizes). I typically wear the navy V1 or black (M/L) V1.

The V1 navy fabric feels denser to me than the other fabric and that has been the mask I wear the most. The V1 M/L have gaps on the cheeks and/or under the chin, but the S/M feels like it barely covers the point of my chin and sits below the bridge of my nose; which is to say I’m unsure of what size is best and am excited by the ability to tweak the fit on the V2 and V3 with the lanyard/ear-loop.

I got the masks Monday evening, washed them Tuesday morning and started with the V2. I work remotely so my travel is limited to my apartment and stoop.

I really like the faded navy color. I like the feel of the fabric. The mask itself seems to have more structure than the V1 and it’s easier to breath; there’s more of a gap between my nostrils/mouth and the fabric; again I’m mostly sitting and or walking around a limited space. I’m curious to see if that affects how much my glasses fog when wearing the mask.

I love the lanyard, being to have the mask hang around my neck is incredibly convenient in situations where I’m going in and out of my apartment or briefly interacting with people.

Adjusting the ear loops/lanyard takes me a second to find the knot and then pull, but is really easy and intuitive. Oddly I find the ear loop behind my left ear to be slightly uncomfortable, like it’s pulling a little, but I’m confident that it will get more comfortable with time and as I figure out how best to adjust them. The lanyard is comfortable, feeling secure and taut but not pinching or pulling on my neck; with the ear loops pulled tighter the lanyard is looser.

I’ve been leaving the ear loop/lanyard set-up alone when I take the mask off my face so the front of the mask rests at about my collar bone.

So far I really like this mask. I will probably buy both sizes to compare, and for options; I’m curious about shrinkage, I didn’t try the masks on before washing them and wash on high heat, permanent press, and dry on high heat for 56 minutes. (In case anyone was curious.) I don’t expect they will shrink much but I think the M/L may be better for me since I can tighten the mask against my face by adjusting the ear loops.

V3 was a bit of trouble getting positioned on my face comfortably, but has gotten easier as I’ve worn it more. I wore it around the apartment, and for two short walks.

I tried yawning and the mask slips down and off my nose. Walking around and talking it stays on and I can open my mouth comfortably to talk and speak at what feels like a normal or slightly louder than normal volume and be heard by the person I’m walking with. We were in a more residential neighborhood with some car traffic but not heavy traffic and not in a commercial or transit area with trains/buses.

The mask is definitely heavier and thicker. Wearing V3 does not feel oppressively hot, or necessarily hot at all and I felt like my mouth and nose was less sweaty than with V1.

Similarly to V2, I think that V3 has more structure, the fabric is away from my mouth/nose more than I’ve experienced with V1, and so the mask feels more breathable to me despite having more layers and being thicker and heavier.

When I first tried V3 I was taken aback and slightly disappointed because the shape is new and I needed to get used to it. After wearing it for a few hours and walking around with it on I like being able to talk without feeling like the mask is too small or will slip off my face.

I do feel tugging on one ear, again my left sometimes which is both uncomfortable and new to both V2 and V3; I think with time both the straps will loosen and I’ll figure out a better length to avoid that.

In terms of sizing, I think that the S/M is good in V3; the design gives me room to open my mouth and talk so I don’t feel like I need to size-up; when I’ve tried to measure I think I’m between 4.5/5 - my measuring process involved a tape measure or holding a pen to get the length from the bridge of my nose to the point of my chin to get the measurement. Lastly, the V3 covers more of my chin and goes higher on my nose to where my glasses rest or right below where my glasses rest.

With both masks being able to wear them on my neck while going about my day is convenient and a huge plus for me. With V3 being able to comfortably open my mouth to talk is another huge plus and not offset by the thickness/weight for that thickness/weight to be a negative. Again I think the thickness/weight adds more structure which leads to my perceiving the masks as more breathable and not too hot.

According to my weather app the weather is 82, feels like 87 and 71% humidity; not oppressively humid but definitely hot and humid out today; yesterday was less humid and cooler out.

The far west
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the very thorough and thoughtful review @hdavim

What we've found is; to open your mouth really, really wide without the mask slipping off requires the ear loops to be pretty snug. And in regards to adjusting the ear loops; my sense is something folks will appreciate is the ability to snug or loosen the loops many times over the course of a day depending on the context they find themselves in (indoors, not much ventilation? you may want those ear loops snugged as tight as comfortable!), kindof like how experienced backpackers might tighten or loosen or readjust their backpack straps over the course of a long day of hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by phayes47 View Post
    What are the chances of getting Tom Bihn masks in size Extra Large (XL)?
    It's on our list! Maybe in the next 3-4 weeks or so?

In the meantime, I'll quote the solution offered by @haraya in a different thread ~

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    You might send a question to the owner of this Etsy shop. Darcy & team asked if she would be willing to make masks with a filter pocket, since TB is not planning to offer those at this time. Rachel might be able to upsize the pattern and make an XL version for you.

tombihninspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I’m also interested in other colors of V2. Black? Also, a *small* TB tag would be great. Thanks!
    We expect the V2 colors to remain Olive & Navy for a while, FWIW. Noted re the tag Smilie

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

The far west
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast