Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Princeton, NJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A modern updated satchel for Indiana Jones

I have a complete, screen accurate Indiana Jones outfit — including his satchel. Which is a WW II gas mask bag, with a leather rifle sling repurposed as the strap. The problem is that it has no organization, and is too small for my iPad Pro. So I need a modern updated satchel... and a Maker Bag in Coyote will work!
    Now there are two changes I need to make...

1. I need a leather strap for the Maker Bag — just like Indiana Jones would wear. Fortunately, the same specialty leather companies that produce “Indiana Jones satchel straps”, are happy to produce one with Tom Bihn hardware at the ends. And Tom Bihn sells the hardware snaps!

2. I need to make my new coyote Maker Bag look OLD. Like I wore it while being dragged under a truck. Or running through the jungle. Or hanging from the side of a tank. I don’t want to actually wear out my Tom Bihn bag, I just want it to look “experienced”... So how can I do that? What are the ways of making 525 ballistic nylon LOOK old?

Thank you for your help!
    Richard Zultner

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say it, your bag choice is great, but you'll have to remove the Tom Bihn label on the bag for starters. Keep in mind that's heresy and you'll have to seek forgiveness.

At the moment, I can't think of any way to make it look old, since its material is so robust. Can't smear dirt on it because that'll end up on your clothes. Maybe you could get some really course sandpaper and try roughing it up (cautiously) in some places that look like they would logically show wear and tear from struggling to board a float plane with arrows flying at you, or climbing out of a pit full of snakes.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance you have a Goodwill or Salvation Army or other thrift store near you? Ours have reopened (mask required, dressing rooms closed) and I've seen quite a few messenger type bags that could work well for you. How often do you wear the Indiana Jones outfit? If not often I wonder if you could use double stick tape and ??? to cover the TB label and make the bag look roughed up.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you actually want to get rid of (not use) your satchel? Or are you just missing the organization? If the latter, then what about using a Freudian Slip or a smaller bag (Side Kick, Side Effect, HLT) that can fit inside and provide the organization you seek?

If you really want to switch to a Coyote MB (lighter, cooler, better organization) - what about a bit of fabric dye to "dirty" it up? (I don't actually know if dye will stick to the material.) Judiciously applied fabric markers? Dragging it very slowly behind an actual truck till it acquires the patina you seek, without puncturing through to the other side? (I think the TB crew have some machines they use to test the abrasion resistance of their fabrics... maybe they will let you in on their secrets!)

Video - Materials Testing

Princeton, NJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making a Tom Bihn bag LOOK "well used"

As a start, I can use the same tricks I use on my Indiana Jones fedora and leather "hero" jacket:
    1) Fuller's Earth sprinkled on it, will give it that "just back from exploring a tomb" look
    2) applying some baked used espresso coffee grounds (really nice & clean fake dirt) will give it that "nothing that belongs in a museum inside" look
    so what else can I try?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What companies make the leather Indiana Jones strap? I have always wanted to be Indiana Jones and have looked for a bag that would be it. You had a great suggestion!